Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What type of art do u prefer?

I was thinking about all the great Batman artists and how the vibe has varied so much. I love that. So my question is what type of artist do you prefer?

Cartoony (Capullo, Nolan, Scott McDaniel)
    Realistic/Image-y (Jim Lee, Fabok, Tony Daniel)
    Stylish (Kelley Jones, Tim Sale, Frazier Irving, Miller)
    Classic (Breyfogle, Apart, Neal Adams)

Idk if I could pick one, and that's not the point, just wanted to spark a discussion on the different styles of Batman art. My favorite is Breyfogle. But I like the bugged out stylish stuff for certain stories, Jim Lee for some stuff. I'd say the cartoony stuff is my least favorite.
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    I was thinking about all the great Batman artists and how the vibe has varied so much. I love that. So my question is what type of artist do you prefer?

Classic (Breyfogle, Apart, Neal Adams)

Idk if I could pick one, and that's not the point, just wanted to spark a discussion on the different styles of Batman art. My favorite is Breyfogle. But I like the bugged out stylish stuff for certain stories, Jim Lee for some stuff. I'd say the cartoony stuff is my least favorite.
    Out of those, Stylish.

I'm not sure I agree with your categories though.

I'd have Neil Adams and Jim Aparo in Realistic - and I'd have Realistic nowhere near Imagey. I'd probably put Norm Breyfogle in Stylish or Cartoony. I'm not sure which Nolan you're talking about that, but I'd put Graham under Classic and Kevin under Stylish. And Capullo is a classic case of an Image-y artist.

BANNED

Stylish.
    I'm not sure Breyfogle is classic though. At the time at least he was stylish. If he's classic now then it's just by virtue of age.

Ok so my categories weren't well thought out lol

Above all, I like good art. It is telling though that among my top three Batman stories, two are stylized (Black Mirror and Arkham Asylum.) Following that in are some cartoonish artists like Darwin Cooke, Michael Lark, Francis Manapul, Matt Wagner, and Greg Capullo's early work before he became more house style. I do really like some house artists like Jason Fabok though. Weird that only one house artist comes to mind, since it is usually a safe bet for me.

I don't really like Tim Sale's art, or McDaniel's art, but that isn't because of they aren't house style, I just dislike their work.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 07-14-2016 at 05:56 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

All-New Member

Neal Adams (clear head-and-shoulders favourite), Marshall Rogers, Michael Golden, Tim Sale, heroes all!

All-New Member

I'm very surprised that anyone could place Jim Aparo right next to Neal Adams; one is a clone the other is a genius! Kelley Jones' art looked good but on closer examination it didn't stand up; all his heroes looked as though they had about 20 ribs on each side of their bodies. Miller's art started impressively but then got downright ugly. I'd have liked to have seen him use his Sin City style on Batman.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    Classic (Breyfogle, Aparo, Neal Adams)
    I actually agree a bit about the categories. I think classic probably accounts some for the change to digital coloring & who did a lot of art before then and etc.

I really love Breyfogle, but love that you get all styles in comics. Love Kelley Jones and Sale often too. Capullo has been great. Burnham was great on Incorporated, his more cartoony stylish style.

Marshall Rogers is HUGE favorite of mine. Matt Wagner is another.

Scott McDaniel I actually am not a big fan of. I'm forced to collect his stuff due to writers like Dixon.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 07-14-2016 at 05:55 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Realistic and Image-y haven't really been associated with each other for a while.

I like any of those categories as long as the art looks great. I'd say the realistic is my least favorite, though.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 07-14-2016 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I actually agree a bit about the categories. I think classic probably accounts some for the change to digital coloring & who did a lot of art before then and etc.

I really love Breyfogle, but love that you get all styles in comics. Love Kelley Jones and Sale often too. Capullo has been great. Burnham was great on Incorporated, his more cartoony stylish style.

Marshall Rogers is HUGE favorite of mine. Matt Wagner is another.

Scott McDaniel I actually am not a big fan of. I'm forced to collect his stuff due to writers like Dixon.
    Yeah man, this. His art makes stories, like murderer/Fugitive for example, less potent to me.

I like all the styles, and most of the guys I named, it really depends on the tone of the story...but I wanted to see what y'all thought

Not a big Frank quitely fan at all either.

Stylish but respect to Manapul and co.

Hard to say. I tend to appreciate the stories more than the art for the most part, but cartoon-ish makes things really difficult to read for me.

I think I'd say classic, then realistic, then stylish.

Incredible Member

I prefer "House Style".

Meaning, must look like superhero comics art, none of that experimental independent cartoony expressionist crap, under artist's style (Jones, Sale, Quitely), like the lazy art of most of Marvel's titles today.

Good Bat-Artists under category: Irv Novick, Jim Aparo, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, Don Newton, Graham Nolan, Jason Fabok
    Last edited by ngroove; 07-14-2016 at 08:29 AM.

My number one is maybe stylish (not sure if it really fits your category, I think of it as experimental). Artists like Sorrentino, Manapul and Del Mundo.

Then realistic.

Classic is easily my least favourite, I usually won't read books with classic art unless they're extremely iconic. And even then it will take away from my enjoyment significantly.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.