Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Poll: What Do You Think of [Spoiler's] "Civil War II" Death?

What Do You Think of [Spoiler's] "Civil War II" Death?

Now that we know who died -- and who did the killing -- in "Civil War II" #3, what did you think? Was it a fitting end for one of Marvel's oldest characters?

Vote on the poll here.

I don't think anything about it was done well. It doesn't come as that big of a surprise, given the we've got Cho Hulk around and Marvel is aggressively killing off or otherwise making the classic heroes look bad. Then there is the fact that death is so meaningless for a character like Hulk that it becomes less of "Oh no, they killed the Hulk!" to "Oh, guess we won't see him for a few years". Though the worst part is, this leaves a mark on Hawkeye for being a murderer that isn't going to go away for a while.
    Last edited by Panfoot; 07-14-2016 at 07:01 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It was a cheap and sadistic ploy to sell books and keep this moronic "event" going while temporarily depriving fans of a beloved character. At the end of the day, it's all meaningless as hell because Banner will be back sooner or later, and in one capacity or another. Practically every character who's been shuffled off to the Dirt Nap Motel comes back, it's simply a matter of how it's done and how believable, or stupid the mechanism will be that heralds said return.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

it seems very out of character for Hawkeye and I worry its going to tarnish him.

And no, it wasn't a fitting end. As others have said, Marvel's Events=Deaths stuff got stale quite a while ago.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

I don't think the lack meaning death has in comics makes it bad. If anything, it makes it better. I can only imagine the rage and whining and death threats that'd be going on if people actually believed Bruce and Rhodey were gone forever. I wasn't IN LOVE with the issue, but I enjoyed it. The only thing that frustrated me was the lack of continuity it had with Totally Awesome Hulk's reasoning as to why Bruce hasn't been Hulking out. But luckily Greg Pak is writing The Fallen, so I'm sure he'll reconcile the two some how.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    it seems very out of character for Hawkeye and I worry its going to tarnish him.

And no, it wasn't a fitting end. As others have said, Marvel's Events=Deaths stuff got stale quite a while ago.
    It's out of character for Hawkeye, but not out of character for Bendis' Hawkeye. His Hawkeye has been terrible.

... What about the anecdote that Bruce spoke about, where he got a little low, he put a gun to his mouth, apparently pulled the trigger, and "the other guy" spit out the bullet? It seems to me like an arrow through the chest probably isn't good enough to "do the job", if it can be done at all.

So what's going to be done with his body? There will no doubt be super villains and uncouth organizations who would love to be able to make clones or even reanimate for purposes of harnessing the power of the original Hulk for selfish reasons.

Astonishing Member

His death and killer both don't get me to react in any real way. So a big *shrug* in the books direction. As I figured the series would give me.

Hawkeye hasn't been about not killing since Bendis killed him in Disassembled. On this particular point, I feel it's time to move on.

Why put [SPOILER] in the poll title but then put it next to a picture of the Hulk??

Amazing Member

I liked it and to me it was believable. However, I must say that I honestly think that only enjoyed it because I'm not up to date and very knowledgeable regarding Bruce and Clint. And that is the strength and weakness currently of Bendis. He writes good stories, and makes it believable, when you do not know well the characters that he uses for advancing the plot. However, if you know them, you realize that the behavior, reasoning and motivation of the characters is bogus, taking into account previous appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Star Saber View Post
    It's out of character for Hawkeye, but not out of character for Bendis' Hawkeye. His Hawkeye has been terrible.
    I think his Ronin has been alright, I loved his New Avengers and back then the Killing had somewhat of an explanation. This time however the whole scene was pretty stupid.
    He could have waited for him to actually turn, the Arrow would have still worked, no?
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Long-time loiterer

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    The only thing that frustrated me was the lack of continuity it had with Totally Awesome Hulk's reasoning as to why Bruce hasn't been Hulking out.
    This was my issue with it as well, I was reading it thinking 'are they going to tie these two things in at any point?' Then nope, thats the end.

I can get over it though. There was what seemed like a similar inconsistency between yesterdays Deadpool and Civil War II: Spider-Man.

But thats just Marvel events, I suppose.

BANNED

It was poorly handled. If I hadn't just read Greg Pak's fantastic two-parter Bruce story in the Totally Awesome Hulk tie-in, the death would have meant nothing to me.

As it is, I'm just looking forward to Bruce inevitably coming back.

Where's the "I Just Don't Care" option? I don't hate it, I just don't care. Deaths in comics don't matter anymore.

The only joy I'm getting out of it is that Marvel hyped this thing all out as this internet-breaking thing like Hydra Cap, and aside from comic sites I see no one talking about it. Heck more people were talking about Miles/Gwen than the death of Hulk yesterday.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans