View Poll Results: How Many Languages are you Fluent Enough in to be Understood?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • One Language

10 37.04%
  • Two Languages

6 22.22%
  • Three Languages

8 29.63%
  • More than Three

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Multilingual or Unilingual?

Donald Trump is still harassing Jeb Bush, and I suspect others as well, for being able to speak more than one language. So, I thought I'd ask, how many CBR Forum Members are fluent or near fluent in more than one language?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Multi. Having several languages under your belt is very useful. But I only have 3.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just English. I bombed at Spanish and French while in high school, and while I tried my best to learn Japanese during my time spent in Japan during the early years of my Navy career, I barely know enough to be dangerous. I've just never been very good at languages.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

English and I could get by with German but I don't wouldn't call myself fluent.

Trump is criticising people for knowing languages? Why am I not surprised?

For me:

English
    SQL
    PL/SQL
    C#
    Javascript
    Sinclair Basic

English, French and Spanish. (father from Spain and mother from France)

Some Italian too, i spent two years there when i was around 22.

So, yeah, Italian and English are the only two i actually had to learn from scratch in school or in the mean streets of Turin.

Native English speaker. Can speak a little bit of German. I opted to take German in high school for my foreign language requirement, instead of the more popular Spanish or French. My friends thought I was crazy but German and English are pretty closely related, so I practically breezed through both years while they struggled with the others. Haha! Sadly, I've since forgotten a lot of it but still know some of the basics.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

English obviously. I learnt French whilst at Secondary School also. Initially I hated it but it grew on me.

It served me in some stead years later when I spent periods living in the country with my Dad and his 2nd wife. I tend to pick it up again whenever I visit only for it to fade from my memory again when I get back to the UK.

C'est la vie.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Only one, fluently. But I know enough Russian to make out okay... maybe.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

English and Filipino (Tagalog) are the ones I can survive on. I dabble weakly in Japanese, Korean, and Arabic.

I keep trying to learn Irish, but my mind doesn't do other languages very easily... So, just one. T_T

Native German, fluent English

BANNED

One unless you count math then two. I was a complete math nerd and always found it incredibly easy. Just something about numbers I get but when I tried to take a Spanish class it was one of the hardest classes I ever took. Something about my brain is wired to let me understand numbers with ease but I just can't do foreign language.

Occasionally I work on my Spanish and Japanese, but I'm not good enough to qualify as 2nd or 3rd languages.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

1. My first language is my family's original Asiatic language which I speak fluently, the writing however... yeesh
    2. Secondly comes French that's the tongue I learned in primary and secondary school.
    3. In at three is English, that one I just picked up off the TV and listening to my relatives. Ended up being an English major.
    4. I speak a decent German. Don't ask how come. That I've been told I speak much better when I'm drunk.
    5. I've been taking Spanish classes for the past 3 yrs. I've been told my pronunciation is excellent but I'm not fluent.

I'd like to master Mandarin and Russian as well. IIRC James Bond spoke 7 languages, I'd like to match that.