Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Eh Baggie only Wonder Woman is too late to course correct majorly. The rest can be modified as needed.
    Your statement requires clarification. "Only Wonder Woman..." suggests Suicide Squad has Zack's fingerprints all over it. David Ayer pitched Squad to WB, they didn't hire him to direct from a preexisting script.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Will has had a few BO disappointments as of late, so his fee likely isn't what it once was. Remember, in Hollywood you are only as good as your last movie.
    I was being sarcastic no ones getting the kinda money will smith use to get outside of franchises. If SS becomes a franchise I can see Smith getting the 50mil he use to get for any role. I believe they said he getting something like 20mil for this movie. Way more then any of the marvel actors got in there first movie i think Evans made less then a million for TFA if i recall correctly.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 07-14-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Your statement requires clarification. "Only Wonder Woman..." suggests Suicide Squad has Zack's fingerprints all over it. David Ayer pitched Squad to WB, they didn't hire him to direct from a preexisting script.
    I think he was saying WW was the only one that couldnt be course corrected out of the movies listed. Which I dont get either, all the problems ppl had with BvS Wonder woman wasnt one of them. She was a breath of fresh air in the 3rd act and gave the movie a different feel while she was in it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think he was saying WW was the only one that couldnt be course corrected out of the movies listed. Which I dont get either, all the problems ppl had with BvS Wonder woman wasnt one of them. She was a breath of fresh air in the 3rd act and gave the movie a different feel while she was in it.
    Snyder did pitch the story though, and is producing it. But beyond that, it seems it's the baby of Jenkins, Johns and Heinberg.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    I am saying only WW is far enough down the line in its production process to mostly immune to any significant course correction coming from SS. All the other movies can have major corrections.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    I am saying only WW is far enough down the line in its production process to mostly immune to any significant course correction coming from SS. All the other movies can have major corrections.
    Gotcha, it was immune to the BvS backlash.

The timing seems to be right for the film. I think a lot of anticipation is building off the extremely well received Guardians of the Galaxy (unlikely band of misfits) and Deadpool (comic book ultra-violence). Like BvS, reviews probably won't matter too much for the opening weekend, since anticipation is high. The question now is what tone will the film have. Will it have GotG and DP's lightheartedness like the marketing is making us believe or will it be just as dark as BvS like some early rumors said?

BANNED

A weak Summer of action movies probably helps. Animation/Kid Movies has been the dominate force through Summer so far.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

2016 has been brutal to big studio movies.

Zoolander 2

Divergent: Allegiant

The Huntsman

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

The Boss

X-Men Apocalypse

Alice Through The Looking Glass

TMNT Out Of The Shadows

Independence Day

Warcraft

BFG

Tarzan

Hopefully Suicide Squad delivers a win for WB and DC.

Disney has been cleaning up this year. Zootopia, Jungle Book, Finding Dory, Captain America 3.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Early projection peg the David Ayer film to open with a larger domestic box office haul than Marvel's "Guardians of the Galaxy."

Full article here.
    I can see this making even more if one thing happens; they lift the review embargo a week before opening and it has solid reviews. That happens and it'll go over $130mm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    2016 has been brutal to big studio movies.
    . . .
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2
    . . ..
    How was My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 brutalized? It cost under $20 mill to make and pulled in about $90 mill worldwide. That's a pretty good ROI. It wasn't a huge blockbuster, but I kind of doubt that anyone at Universal was seriously expecting it to pull in anything close to what the original did. If they had, they wouldn't have waited 15 years to make the sequel. They also would have spent more money on it. The first one was pure lightning in a bottle. There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening again.
    Last edited by kalorama; 07-14-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    How was My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 brutalized? It cost under $20 mill to make and pulled in about $90 mill worldwide. That's a pretty good ROI. It wasn't a huge blockbuster, but I kind of doubt that anyone at Universal was seriously expecting it to pull in anything close to what the original did. If they had, they wouldn't have waited 15 years to make the sequel. They also would have spent more money on it. The first one was pure lightning in a bottle. There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of that happening again.
    Well yeah. Compared to the original, and it opening the same days as BvS didn't help.

Fantastic Member

Well yeah. Compared to the original, and it opening the same days as BvS didn't help.

Maybe compared to the original's haul but I imagine they were happy to open the same weekend as BvS in order to be the counter-programming .

BANNED

Somehow I doubt there was huge audience overlap between My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 and BvS.

It didn't matter when they released Greek 2, it wasn't going to do anywhere near the blockbuster numbers the original did. That was a total, unanticipated fluke, and if they ever had even a slim chance of repeating it, they would have had to release the sequel in relatively close proximity to the original. Waiting almost 15 years killed whatever infinitesimal shot they had at big numbers. As it is, pretty much any time a movie pulls in almost 5 times its production budget at the box office, it's considered an unqualified success, whatever the actual dollar figures are. I seriously doubt there's anyone at the studio putting Greek 2 in the "loss" column.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    Maybe compared to the original's haul but I imagine they were happy to open the same weekend as BvS in order to be the counter-programming .
    Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    Somehow I doubt there was huge audience overlap between My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 and BvS.

It didn't matter when they released Greek 2, it wasn't going to do anywhere near the blockbuster numbers the original did. That was a total, unanticipated fluke, and if they ever had even a slim chance of repeating it, they would have had to release the sequel in relatively close proximity to the original. Waiting almost 15 years killed whatever infinitesimal shot they had at big numbers. As it is, pretty much any time a movie pulls in almost 5 times its production budget at the box office, it's considered an unqualified success, whatever the actual dollar figures are. I seriously doubt there's anyone at the studio putting Greek 2 in the "loss" column.
    You know, you're right. MBFGW2 did do good numbers. Unlike another 15 year late sequel that came out this year; Zoolander 2.

But yeah, I've been surprised how many of the other films underperformed this year. X-Men Apocalypse, TMNT 2 and Alice 2 being the surest bets to perform beyond expectations and yet didn't.