Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    You know, you're right. MBFGW2 did do good numbers. Unlike another 15 year late sequel that came out this year; Zoolander 2.

But yeah, I've been surprised how many of the other films underperformed this year. X-Men Apocalypse, TMNT 2 and Alice 2 being the surest bets to perform beyond expectations and yet didn't.
    I don't think Alice was anywhere close to a sure bet. Much like with Greek Wedding, the massive success of the original pretty much took everyone by surprise. Depp's track record at that point--for anything other than the Pirates movies--was spotty at best (and that's probably being generous), and Burton's then recent track record certainly didn't suggest he had a billion dollar blockbuster in him. It was the kind of movie that sort of confounded everyone's expectations. Trying to repeat what works in a situation like that is always dicey. It's even more so with a Burton movie, simply because he doesn't make conventional blockbusters with replicable formulas, so distilling what worked the first time and recreating it was always going to be a hit and miss proposition.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    I don't think Alice was anywhere close to a sure bet. Much like with Greek Wedding, the massive success of the original pretty much took everyone by surprise. Depp's track record at that point--for anything other than the Pirates movies--was spotty at best (and that's probably being generous), and Burton's then recent track record certainly didn't suggest he had a billion dollar blockbuster in him. It was the kind of movie that sort of confounded everyone's expectations. Trying to repeat what works in a situation like that is always dicey. It's even more so with a Burton movie, simply because he doesn't make conventional blockbusters with replicable formulas, so distilling what worked the first time and recreating it was always going to be a hit and miss proposition.
    Alice 2 didn't even break $300 million world wide. That's Tomorrowland, John Carter and Lone Ranger levels of bad. Even if Alice had done half of it's predecessor's numbers it would've landed in the green. As is, it's far in the red.

X-Men was another film I was shocked to see under perform. All the momentum of DOFP and Deadpool behind it, and it barely scraped by with $530 million world wide. Just barely ahead of Ant-Man by $10 million WW.

BANNED

Alice 2 didn't even break $300 million world wide. That's Tomorrowland, John Carter and Lone Ranger levels of bad. Even if Alice had done half of it's predecessor's numbers it would've landed in the green. As is, it's far in the red.
    That's really not germane to what I said, though. I wasn't disputing the claim that it performed below expectations. I was disputing your assertion that it should have been considered a "sure bet" to meet those expectations in the first place. It wasn't. If anything, it was always a long shot to repeat the first one's success. The fact that it failed to do so really isn't that much of a surprise.

Incredible Member

You know, you're right. MBFGW2 did do good numbers. Unlike another 15 year late sequel that came out this year; Zoolander 2.

But yeah, I've been surprised how many of the other films underperformed this year. X-Men Apocalypse, TMNT 2 and Alice 2 being the surest bets to perform beyond expectations and yet didn't.
    The first one was a stinker, I kinda thought the second one would sink.

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    That's really not germane to what I said, though. I wasn't disputing the claim that it performed below expectations. I was disputing your assertion that it should have been considered a "sure bet" to meet those expectations in the first place. It wasn't. If anything, it was always a long shot to repeat the first one's success. The fact that it failed to do so really isn't that much of a surprise.
    I should've been clearer. When I said "a sure bet", I meant to say it wasn't a film you would expect to under perform with audiences. I never said Alice 2 would bring in Alice 1's numbers, but I don't anyone saw a $270 million WW gross as Alice 2's total haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    The first one was a stinker, I kinda thought the second one would sink.
    The 2nd film is better than the first. Not like that was hard to do, but as I said previously, 2016 has been a tough year for big studio films. $150 million WW for a TMNT movie is HARSH.

Astonishing Member

as I said previously, 2016 has been a tough year for big studio films. $150 million WW for a TMNT movie is HARSH.
    What I find interesting is if you look at the domestic totals for 2016 you have 6 movies that finished over 300M but no movies with a final take in the 200M range. It's either over 300M or over 100M. No 200M movies yet and the year's already half over.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if this made big money.

there are a number of things the film has going for it. The Joker is usually a draw. Will Smith despite his recent box office failings still could have some pull in the right role. Most importantly though this film looks like fun escapism.

Incredible Member

I should've been clearer. When I said "a sure bet", I meant to say it wasn't a film you would expect to under perform with audiences. I never said Alice 2 would bring in Alice 1's numbers, but I don't anyone saw a $270 million WW gross as Alice 2's total haul.

The 2nd film is better than the first. Not like that was hard to do, but as I said previously, 2016 has been a tough year for big studio films. $150 million WW for a TMNT movie is HARSH.
    It may have been better but it will still be the sequel to a bad movie. I thought Dungeons & Dragons 2: Wrath of the Dragon God was much better than one. but if you blow it on the first one you'll never revive it by adding a number to it. Needs a total reboot.

for example, Independence Day 2: Never Too Late for a Sequel.

for example, Independence Day 2: Never Too Late for a Sequel.
    Ahahahaha

I just realized:

Independence Day Resurgence: 20 years too late.
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2: 15 years too late.
    Zoolander 2: 15 years too late.
    Finding Dory: 13 years and right on time?

Are there anymore more than a decade for a sequel films we're getting this year?

Incredible Member

Ahahahaha

I just realized:

Independence Day Resurgence: 20 years too late.
    My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2: 15 years too late.
    Zoolander 2: 15 years too late.
    Finding Dory: 13 years and right on time?

Are there anymore more than a decade for a sequel films we're getting this year?
    Star Wars if you count it still being in theatres in January.

Incredible Member

What If ... SS made more opening than BvS (domestically)?

Between this and Deadpool, it has been a year of anomalies at the box office. This movie is getting more positive buzz than Dawn of Justice got, that's for sure. Then again, this one doens't have any Batfleck jokes. Instead, it has Harley Quinn. That's just not fair.

But seriously, if Suicide Squad is a success, then it's another big game changer. Not only is it big for WB and DC Comics, but it's important for superhero movies as a while. Both Suicide Squad and Deadpool are such vastly different movies compared to traditional superhero movies. Their success will prompt studios to try new things, something they rarely do these days. And I think that can only be good for the industry.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Between this and Deadpool, it has been a year of anomalies at the box office. This movie is getting more positive buzz than Dawn of Justice got, that's for sure. Then again, this one doens't have any Batfleck jokes. Instead, it has Harley Quinn. That's just not fair.

But seriously, if Suicide Squad is a success, then it's another big game changer. Not only is it big for WB and DC Comics, but it's important for superhero movies as a while. Both Suicide Squad and Deadpool are such vastly different movies compared to traditional superhero movies. Their success will prompt studios to try new things, something they rarely do these days. And I think that can only be good for the industry.
    Coming soon!

Sinister Six - ...wait, isn't that still happening?

Venom and Carnage - ...wait, isn't THAT still happening??

Thunderbolts

Hellfire Club

Hell House

Dark Avengers

Injustice League

X-Men Brotherhood

etc

Haha

Fantastic Member

What If ... SS made more opening than BvS (domestically)?

I could see that occurring with the final total (domestic and worldwide) but BvS's domestic opening was $166M. To jump another $40M the buzz would need to be stellar.

bought my tickets this morning. i hope it's good!