Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default why has there never been an Aliens vs. Star Trek mini?

That seems unusual at this point. I’d have figured that there would have been some movement to have a crossover with these properties. I suppose you’d need some expendable red-shirts (for TOS), as well as non-essential personnel for the other Trek era teams. An additional villainous group would also help the drama (Klingons during TOS, also Romulans, Cardassians, others).
    Also, to make the threat more palpable, it would probably take disabling or removing entirely the resources of a starship (e.g., beaming people away or the monsters).
    How would the leadership differ between Kirk, Picard, Sisko and the others?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Mostly because Star Fleet as a whole is less military than the Space Marines, and THOSE guys still lost, so it would take a Plot Device of epic proportions to keep the Start Trek crew from losing more than a few Redshirts.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Astonishing Member

Photon torpedoes from space - it's the only way to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Mostly because Star Fleet as a whole is less military than the Space Marines, and THOSE guys still lost, so it would take a Plot Device of epic proportions to keep the Start Trek crew from losing more than a few Redshirts.
    To be fair, they were limited to non Energy weapons. Phasers leave no splashing blood, can be set Wide-Beam, and their tricorders are likely FAR better than the marine scanners to help avoid ambushes.

IMO there's been no crossover because they could beam Aliens into space or a star, and they could have a Vulcan mind-meld with any face huggers on crew members to try and get them off on top of the above. Transporters + Phasers + Alien Feddies = Bad News for the Xenomorphs in any crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    That seems unusual at this point. I’d have figured that there would have been some movement to have a crossover with these properties.
    Because it'd be a ten-minute movie, due to the reasons already stated.

Also, Trek ships can scan a molecule from orbit, or another ship from light-years away (link). Without some kind of plot contrivance, Xenomorphs will never have the element of surprise.

Probably because the premise is too out of this world..
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Probably because the premise is too out of this world..
    -_-

(Summons a hoard of narwhals to attack Cthulhu)
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Narwhals are one of mine, you have no power here.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Aliens take place in a universe where tech is maybe a century ahead of the real world. Star Trek takes place in a universe where tech is magic. Heck, it even has equivalents to elves, orcs, and goblins. Aliens have no real answer to "Engineers" that are effectively powerful wizards of technobabble.

Quote Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
    Because it'd be a ten-minute movie, due to the reasons already stated.

Also, Trek ships can scan a molecule from orbit, or another ship from light-years away (link). Without some kind of plot contrivance, Xenomorphs will never have the element of surprise.
    Exactly, because, if it lasted more than ten minutes, people would walk out of the theater making jokes about the endless plot contrivances necessary for the aliens to have a chance.

Oh darn, our tricorders don't do what they always did before and we forgot we can set phasers on wide-beam disintegrate. We also forgot about our high tech medical bay and our transporters to justify people being infected all the way to being killed.

Of course, the plot would contrive around all that just like the Green Lantern vs. Aliens plot had the rings suddenly not automatically protecting GLs from harm and having to actually be wearing them to use them at all and they don't automatically fly to the GL, etc., etc., etc. It was less like reading a story and more like reading a list of how to ignore how a power ring works.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Is this on the right board?

I mean, I'm not complaining, threads a safe premise and is generating some fun dialogue but it's not exactly Rumbles per say.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Is this on the right board?

I mean, I'm not complaining, threads a safe premise and is generating some fun dialogue but it's not exactly Rumbles per say.
    "why has there never been an Aliens vs. Star Trek mini?" vs. "why has there never been an Gremlins vs. Star Wars mini?"

Better?

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    IMO there's been no crossover because they could beam Aliens into space or a star, and they could have a Vulcan mind-meld with any face huggers on crew members to try and get them off on top of the above. Transporters + Phasers + Alien Feddies = Bad News for the Xenomorphs in any crossover.
    Like they beamed the Klingons or the badguys from the X-men crossover into the sun?

Or like the Vulcan mindmeld has pacified every other "evil monster" they run into?

Oh, wait. they never do the first one, and only once or twice has the second one worked.

Quote Originally Posted by carrrnuttt View Post
    That shows they can scan ships from far away, but not that they could pick up a single molecule. In fact it provides feats for the opposite, where they couldn't distinguish an escape pod from ordinary space rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Exactly, because, if it lasted more than ten minutes, people would walk out of the theater making jokes about the endless plot contrivances necessary for the aliens to have a chance.
    I'd be doing the other way around.

Oh darn, our tricorders don't do what they always did before
    Like how they picked up the Borg before they opened a door and dragged of a crewman or Data to be Borgified?

and we forgot we can set phasers on wide-beam disintegrate.
    We've disintegrated things, maybe twice in the entire run of the shows. We've used a wide spread stun, maybe a dozen times. But yet that's TOTALLY what we'd do now. Just like every other time we were attacked by an army...

Oh Wait...

We also forgot about our high tech medical bay and our transporters to justify people being infected all the way to being killed.
    Being stabbed through the chest is kinda "he's Dead Jim" scenario, you know.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Like how they picked up the Borg before they opened a door and dragged of a crewman or Data to be Borgified?
    To be fair, the Borg are ever-adapting hive-minded techno-zombies capable of independent space travel, unlike the animalistic Aliens.

We've disintegrated things, maybe twice in the entire run of the shows. We've used a wide spread stun, maybe a dozen times. But yet that's TOTALLY what we'd do now. Just like every other time we were attacked by an army...

Oh Wait...
    Of course, their enemies are equally equipped with high-tech weapons and defenses against said high-tech weapons, unlike the Aliens, who are, as mentioned above, an animalistic species limited entirely to close-range attacks.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

That shows they can scan ships from far away, but not that they could pick up a single molecule. In fact it provides feats for the opposite, where they couldn't distinguish an escape pod from ordinary space rocks.
    You know what they're doing every time they scan A WHOLE PLANET "for life forms" from aboard their ships?

They're scanning for DNA, the basic building block for life in ours and Trek's universe. You have any idea how tiny DNA strands are?

Unless you can show feats that Xenomorphs don't have DNA and are silicone or are energy-based beings (the two kinds of Trek life forms standard scanners can't detect), then we can talk further.