Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I'm not going to repeat what others are (correctly) saying about bad acting and too much CGI.

For me, it was the lack of Han Solo. Not that specific character, but someone like him. The original trilogy had 2-3 Jedi and Han was there as a no-magic rogue who spoke for the audience. "The Force huh? Psh, give me a good blaster any day over some hocus pocus magic".

Then in the prequels, EVERTYHING was The Force, and Jedi were EVERYWHERE. And not a single down to earth scoundrel in sight.
    Life is but a dream

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Only screen wipes are a big serial thing, as well as something Akira Kurosawa did.
    The audience laughed when it happened when i saw it in the theatre, was laughter what he wanted?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ripclaw005 View Post
    The Sad thing is Lucas thinks they where better then the original. And thats why I'm scared for these new ones.
    I thought Lucas won't be involved in the new ones?

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    Yeah, that was one of many tonally-inappropriate editing/directing decisions.
    What is inappropriate about it? Maybe it was a bad editing decision, but inappropriate is something entirely different to me.
    Last edited by Surtur; 05-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I thought Lucas won't be involved in the new ones?

Not directing, nor producing, but from what I read after the new trilogy was announced back in October 2012, he remains as a creative consultant, with an outline drawn out for the new films, of three, at the very least.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    Not directing, nor producing, but from what I read after the new trilogy was announced back in October 2012, he remains as a creative consultant, with an outline drawn out for the new films, of three, at the very least.
    Okay but, that's a level of involvement nowhere near as much as the prequels so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. George does have talents..in certain areas. If he has a minor contribution in area where he excels in(such as NOT romantic dialogue) then it could benefit the films.
    Last edited by Surtur; 05-02-2014 at 11:00 AM.

They're just bad in almost every regard.

The directing is non-existence. There are no interesting or unique shots in all three movies.

Most of the acting is just plain bad. Even Samuel Jackson's performance was bad. The Emperor and Obi Wan were the only two characters well acted.

I understand that the point of the Jedis was that they were boring, unemotional assholes, but boring unemotional assholes tend not to be the best fit for main characters in a Star Wars movie. They can work in other movies, but Star Wars is just not that kind of movie. The other characters are cliched and annoying.

The dialogue was atrocious on pretty much every level, and the plots were full of holes.

The action scenes were too fake and involving. Parts of the movies felt more like tech demos or cutscenes than an actual film.

So yeah, just all around bad.

BANNED

I wouldn't exactly say being a jedi is about having no emotions at all. It's more like they are supposed to keep their emotions in check, as opposed to merely being devoid of all emotion. They aren't terminators or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    I'd agree with most of this, especially to lessen age gap between Anakin and Padme, which I always found a bit creepy, way it starts in TPM and continues from there. Always nwill have started when he was a child, her a teenager, essentially.
    I actually liked that she was older than him. I'd keep that part, just both older.
    Also, how soon do you mean, for Vader? Earlier in the PT, or in ROTS, as it can't necessarily be too early, as Anakin has to be developed beforehand, and learn his motivations for becoming the Sith Lord we know, and the circumstances that led him there?
    I would've had the first film be finding Anakin and the seeds that start the Clones Wars. The second film could be the secret marriage and the Clones Wars in earnest. Anakin's pathos and reasons for turning could be because he was forged as a Jedi during wartime, a weapon that is slowly corrupted by Senator Palatine. The third could've been the end of the Clones Wars, Anakin turning, Vader is born, and a suited-up Vader wiping out the Jedi. So basically, have the Anakin/twins/Padme/Kenobi thing happen in the first act, then have Vader kill all (most) of the Jedi.

I think people wanted to see Vader kick some ass in his suit. Even if it is just one scene.

OK, I guess I should have gone on a bit about how forgiving people were of the OT.
    Did you all NOT see how Bobafet died? He got hit in the back by accident by a blind guy! Oops, coolest character aside from Vader is dead now, and goes down like a bitch.
    Luke kicks people on Jaba's barge and you can clearly see his feet is no where near them.
    Apparently there is only one woman in the entire galaxy.
    Incest.
    Why do the troop transports on Hoth fly right towards the Star Destroyer.
    Why did you hide Luke FROM Anakin WITH Anakin's family. WHAT?! Why the HELL didn't Obiwan just raise Luke himself? Could have trained him to be a Jedi and then what would have that Episode V show down have looked like? Luke would at least still have his hand.
    Luke turns his lightsaber for the first time wit the blade pointed right towards Obwan's face.
    Did the Emperor just not care that his entire army was unable to hit the broad side of a barn?
    Again, I could go on. You all just have a completely different set of standards for the two trilogies.
    Action Comics, Superman/Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Teen Titans, Astro City, Spider-Man 2099, Lazarus, The Maxx: Maxximized, Invader Zim
    There is only one Apocalypse

I'm amazed at how much everyone remembers about the SW prequels. I vaguely recall an anti-tyrannical theme but mostly just being underwhelmed. The fact I cannot remember the plot speaks volumes. Again, I can't believe the details everyone here remembers. Down to no memorable camera angles/shots? Wow!
    Fav Wonder Woman traits: Strength, Compassion, Love...never holds a petty grudge. Xo

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Internet-man View Post
    OK, I guess I should have gone on a bit about how forgiving people were of the OT.
    Did you all NOT see how Bobafet died? He got hit in the back by accident by a blind guy! Oops, coolest character aside from Vader is dead now, and goes down like a bitch.
    Luke kicks people on Jaba's barge and you can clearly see his feet is no where near them.
    Incest.
    Why did you hide Luke FROM Anakin WITH Anakin's family. WHAT?! Why the HELL didn't Obiwan just raise Luke himself? Could have trained him to be a Jedi and then what would have that Episode V show down have looked like? Luke would at least still have his hand.
    Luke turns his lightsaber for the first time wit the blade pointed right towards Obwan's face.
    Did the Emperor just not care that his entire army was unable to hit the broad side of a barn?
    Again, I could go on. You all just have a completely different set of standards for the two trilogies.
    Sure, the OT had flaws, but it was also a lot of fun. Different tone, more memorable characters, plus it was fresh and groundbreaking at the time. The PT lacked most of the good of the OT while retaining all of its faults and then some, plus 30 years of expectations.

Member in Disguise

Boba wasn't nearly as popular then as his was later. And (much like Joker), he apparently survived.
    I'll grant you that one.
    Incest.
    Not sure where you're going with this.
    Where were they supposed to go?
    The idea was to keep him away from the Force; by training as a Jedi, the Empire would have been able to 'sense' him.
    ...first time holding a lightsaber, what do you expect?
    Most of the front-line troops were little more than cannon fodder, which is exactly what the Emperor wanted.
    Nostaligia tends to make one be more forgiving of faults.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Incredible Member Miraclo__Pill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Just a friendly heads up.

Please don't just jump into a thread (this or any other) and proclaim 'it's bad' or 'it sucks,that's why!'

That's not constructive discussion. The OP is asking why people are so critical of them, so please give actual reasons in your replies.

Thanks
    Was there something wrong with the picture I posted? If not nevermind me. But as someone pointed out, the CGI nightmare Lucas put us through was way more unbearable for me than the bad acting or bad script. It felt so over the top and heartless that I couldn't help but think it was nothing but a vanity project for the guy. And I think many of us are very much aware of the original trilogy shortcomings but it has en endearing quality in the crafty and creative cinematic solutions Lucas puts out that all those problems mean nothing, because the movies have heart. You can't say the same about the prequels.

Fantastic Member General Nerditry's Avatar

The prequels felt kind of slapdash from a plot and writing standpoint. I get the impression that Lucas is a great big ideas guy, but he just need someone to tell him "No, George, that's dumb" and filter out the bad ideas. Clearly the man has vision.

Quote Originally Posted by impulseucf View Post
    The prequels felt kind of slapdash from a plot and writing standpoint. I get the impression that Lucas is a great big ideas guy, but he just need someone to tell him "No, George, that's dumb" and filter out the bad ideas. Clearly the man has vision.
    Exactly. The prequels should have been directed by someone with talent to use all his ideas in a palatable format.
    Life is but a dream