Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I thought Lucas won't be involved in the new ones?

What is inappropriate about it? Maybe it was a bad editing decision, but inappropriate is something entirely different to me.
    The tone was wrong. That's why I said "tonally-inappropriate."

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the screen wipes are a stylistic callback to classic adventure serials. It was a stylistic flourish that seemed completely at odds with such a dark character beat.

Why did you hide Luke FROM Anakin WITH Anakin's family. WHAT?! Why the HELL didn't Obiwan just raise Luke himself? Could have trained him to be a Jedi and then what would have that Episode V show down have looked like?
    For the record, this wasn't really an issue in the original "Star Wars" as Vader hadn't been established as Luke's father.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet-man View Post
    OK, I guess I should have gone on a bit about how forgiving people were of the OT.

Again, I could go on. You all just have a completely different set of standards for the two trilogies.
    These are still vastly minor issues compared to the problems that plague the prequel trilogy, like:

Why are so many of the aliens racist caricatures?
    Who is the plot to The Phantom Menace so boring?
    Why is the art design in these movie so incredibly bland?
    Why am I supposed to care about any of these characters?
    Why is the central romance the worst thing ever?
    Why doesn't Anakin's turn to the dark side (ie. the entire point of the trilogy) make any sense?

I get that a lot of people don't love the original trilogy, but man alive is there a night and day difference between it and the prequels.
    Last edited by T.D.; 05-02-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Well, I think the biggest problem with them is Lucas didn't have anybody filtering his vision into something, y'know, watchable.
    Yeah, I think that's the biggest problem. Pure Lucas just isn't that good. He's creative and has good ideas but needs someone to execute them. Basically look at the difference between Star Wars and Empire strikes Back (and then to what he was responsible for in Return of the Jedi).

I don't hate them the way some people do. I think they do get better as they go one but they're not as good as the OT and granted the OT gets a pass for being vintage, I think he needed to step it up with the PT but it seemed like a step backward from the OT. They're hollow and it seemed like he was trying to cram the story into the Star Wars formula instead of letting the story dictate the style. Like mentioned earlier, Anakin kills a bunch of sand-people then Star Wars Wipe - that doesn't work there but it's Star Wars and that minute in the movie is time for a screenwipe.

Quote Originally Posted by T.D. View Post
    Why doesn't Anakin's turn to the dark side (ie. the entire point of the trilogy) make any sense?
    And Amidala dies because she's sad.

Astonishing Member

I don't see how the original movies not being perfect somehow excuses the prequels being terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    I don't see how the original movies not being perfect somehow excuses the prequels being terrible.
    It's one of the internet's favorite games.

If we ever decide to name it, I pick: "The Indiana-Jones-survived-crazy-stuff-in-the-first-three-movies-too Defense".