Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" Concept Art Reveals First Look at Mantis

Pom Klementieff's Mantis stands alongside Star-Lord, Rocket, Gamora and others in newly released concept art for the sequel.

Full article here.

So Mantis isn't green?

Incredible Member

They already have Gamora. It would look weird.

Little Groot is so cute. Hope that's a toy by the time this movie comes out.

I doubt we'll get much from SDCC this year. A teaser trailer would be nice, but I've learned not to hope for too much from movies that are a long ways out. Just look at what happened with the X-men Apocalypse/Ivan Ooze ordeal last year.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my official publishing blog.

I like that Mantis isn't green since we already have Drax and Gamora. While in the movies, she'll be an alien (I'm assuming so Starlord will be the only human), in the comics, Mantis is a human (half German, half Vietnamese) and had a normal skin tone. She only became green after merging with a member of the Cotati, a plantlike alien race.

Fantastic Member

Personally, I'm fine with Mantis being green, along with Drax and Gamora. After all, in regular movies, how many people are the same color? And there is something pleasantly whimsical in making so many of the aliens "little green men."

Ultimate Member

She wasn't green in her earliest appearances either, if I remember correctly.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

I'm okay with Mantis not being green, though it'd have been nice if she was. I doubt her backstory is the same, either, though I only ever liked her in the DnA GotG run and hated her in Englehart's Silver Surfer run.
    My babies: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Bucky Barnes, Jamie Madrox, Cyclops, Kate Bishop, Stargirl, Jay Garrick, Jon Kent, Booster Gold, Richard Rider, Kyle Rayner, Tinya Wazzo, Magik, Thor

Regular pulls:
    Doomsday Clock, The Green Lantern
    Fallen Angels, Guardians of the Galaxy, Silver Surfer: Black, Venom, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Daredevil, Deathstroke, Hawkman, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I like that Mantis isn't green since we already have Drax and Gamora. While in the movies, she'll be an alien (I'm assuming so Starlord will be the only human), in the comics, Mantis is a human (half German, half Vietnamese) and had a normal skin tone. She only became green after merging with a member of the Cotati, a plantlike alien race.
    Good point. I think I just assumed she'd be an alien here but it would make sense if they establish her as a human too (or not since Jon Reily is an alien that's pink skinned).

Rookie Member

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    Jon Reily is an alien that's pink skinned).
    I always suspected this was the case with John C. Reilly but thanks for confirming it.

Ultimate Member

I'm pretty sure that she's still going to be an alien. James Gunn has said before that he likes the idea of the "human out in deep space" idea being Quill's thing alone. And the Nova Corps were aliens, who just happened to look human.

Incredible Member

Even as a human, Mantis always seemed a bit alien in the sense that, due to her upbringing and socialization, obvious mutation, and tendency to refer to herself in the third person, she never exactly normalized in standard polite society. So making her an alien alien for the movie doesn't seem to be a big change to the character, particularly given that she has been just as much a cosmic character as an earthbound one (especially recently).

I still think they should have merged the Mantis and Moondragon stories and made her Drax' long-lost daughter, and tied Groot in with the Cotati to make him the husband that the Kree priests of Pama were grooming her to be the wife of. Would have really tied all of those stories and characters together, as well as making some callbacks to Ronan and the Kree from the first movie (by, say, having the Kree who rescued Mantisdragon from death be one of Ronan's men but secretly allied to the Priests of Pama).

In any event, can't wait to see this. The artwork looks cool.

We getting Rocket flying around on a jet pack? Yes please

How long can they keep Groot a baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    We getting Rocket flying around on a jet pack? Yes please
    Would've been better if he had his rocket boots.

I'm glad they kept the skirt and antennae for Mantis' movie design .

I wonder if it's going to take all movie for Groot to grow back ?

I like Gamora's longcoat.

Star-Lord and Rocket with jetpacks should be a lot of fun to see in the movie.

Yondu and Nebula joining the team should also be interesting, especially the former given it means he'll ostensibly be under Quill's leadership. Hope this means we get to see more of both of them in action .