Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 36 of 36
  1. #31
    Extraordinary Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    7,411

    Default

    Gal looks amazing. It's like Wonder Woman just stepped off the comics page. She actually has some definition in the Wonder Woman movie stills. So she's clearly still getting bigger as she stays with the character.

  2. #32
    Incredible Member Powertool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    How is this disturbing? I think it's positive. Why do people always have to be political? I'm not even American and I want to see those sweet little stars.

    Put the hate aside and have fun.
    How a superhero that is supposed to come as a herald of peace to the world but ends up dressing with the colours and patterns of one specific country could ever be considered "fun" of any kind, I really don't know.

    Let alone that EVERYTHING is political, especially in entertainment. Many people just pretend that's not true so they can suck up their propaganda without having to do too much thinking (it gives awful headaches, you know?). If even a zero-artistic value, inflationed product like Michael Bay's Transformers franchise can be very politically-charged, with its depiction of the US Government shifting to negative from 2009 onwards, I don't see how you can escape from politics in entertainment.

  3. #33
    Extraordinary Member AcesX1X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    8,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    How a superhero that is supposed to come as a herald of peace to the world but ends up dressing with the colours and patterns of one specific country could ever be considered "fun" of any kind, I really don't know.

    Let alone that EVERYTHING is political, especially in entertainment. Many people just pretend that's not true so they can suck up their propaganda without having to do too much thinking (it gives awful headaches, you know?). If even a zero-artistic value, inflationed product like Michael Bay's Transformers franchise can be very politically-charged, with its depiction of the US Government shifting to negative from 2009 onwards, I don't see how you can escape from politics in entertainment.
    you realize that there are many nations that boast red, gold, and blue as their flag colors?

  4. #34
    King of Wakanda Midvillian1322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    7,770

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    How about no? This all-American fetish for dressing superheroes in their country's flag is disturbing. An emissary from a supposedly enlightened people would never submit herself to become a poster girl for the nation which shifted from waging war on poverty to waging war on the poor in the span of 20 years.

    To be fair almost all superheroes repersent america, shit 80% of Marvel heroes are in just new york. But there is nothing about ww so far that screams america. Red and Blue are used together in so many flags im not gonna bother trying to count. WW is also from a place that doesnt allow any men and live in complete isolation. They cant be that enlightened, its Wakanda but instead of advanced tech, its greek mythology and magic. Advanced but not enlightened imo.

  5. #35
    Incredible Member Powertool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    you realize that there are many nations that boast red, gold, and blue as their flag colors?
    Why are you saying this to me? I am the one who's perfectly fine with the current Wonder Gal costume! I am opposed to changing it, in fact, just to incorporate the white stars on blue field that are instead a VERY important part of American iconography and vexillology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    To be fair almost all superheroes repersent america, shit 80% of Marvel heroes are in just new york. But there is nothing about ww so far that screams america. Red and Blue are used together in so many flags im not gonna bother trying to count. WW is also from a place that doesnt allow any men and live in complete isolation. They cant be that enlightened, its Wakanda but instead of advanced tech, its greek mythology and magic. Advanced but not enlightened imo.
    Again? I have no problem with the WW costume Gal Gadot is using! I have instead a lot of issues with making the protectors of humakind of every class, religion and nation fulsomely embracing the iconography of a single country. You're forcing an open door when you write about the matter of too many American superheroes and I constantly applaud any writer's effort to write a non-USA based superhero comic book or introduce multi-national cast (at least as long as it's done well).

    And yes, I see your point about Paradise Island being a utopia based on isolationism and exclusivism, since I've found myself being involved in very heated discussions in the WW forum for disagreeing about the consensus on how perfect Amazons are or should be and for criticising Marston's very "unique" kind of feminism.

    On the other hand, while I can see that some incarnations of the Amazons are far from being enlightened in any meaning of the word (*), we're still talking about a race that has developed a fully-shaped philosophical system that puts prosperity as a community and trust in others as its moral centres and, more importantly, actively works to stick with these principles (except when handledb by hack writers, but what can you do about that?). That's being enlightened to me.

    (*) Like Morrison's Amazons in WW: Earth One, who shouldn't even dare to teach anything to anyone before they start pulling out the huge beams of wood they've got up their own @$$&$.

  6. #36

    Default

    Can't wait for this movie. Gal Gadot really stole the show in Dawn of Justice. She made that movie worth seeing in my opinion. I really believe she has what it takes to be for Wonder Woman what Scarlett Johanson is for Black Widow. I'm also of the opinion that this is the most important comic book movie of the past five years. The last time anyone tried to make a superhero movie with a female solo lead, we got Catwoman and that set back female heroes for years. If this movie succeeds, it'll prove that female heroes can hold their own. Hopefully, that means other female heroes will get a chance to shine in other movies down the line. And how fitting would it be if Wonder Woman was the first?
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!


    Or if you want, check out my official publishing blog.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •