Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default GHOSTBUSTERS 2016 feedback and possible spoilers

Well this is certainly interesting.

Looking at IMDB right now, the movie gets an average of 7.7 from female reviewers and a 3.8 from males.

There also seem an absurdly high number of 1/10 ratings. 47%. That's pretty hard to believe.

Looking further, 60% of female reviewers give it a 10 and 53% of male reviewers give it a 1.

All in all it seems if you want ac actual non-biased sampling you just ignore the extremes and give it a mark out of 8
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-15-2016 at 07:37 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

what I'm hearing from folks I trust is that it's not a bad movie overall, nor a particularly good one. It's 'okay' with some good moments . It sounds like something you might want to catch on netflix or cable later, but may not want to pay full price at the theatre for if there are other movies you're interested in
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    what I'm hearing from folks I trust is that it's not a bad movie overall, nor a particularly good one. It's 'okay' with some good moments . It sounds like something you might want to catch on netflix or cable later, but may not want to pay full price at the theatre for if there are other movies you're interested in

I think that's a good analysis overall. It's not horrible, but it's not great either. Overall it's just an average film. Which is still much better then being a bad film mind you. But overall there's nothing wrong with waiting till it hits Netflix to watch it.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Fantastic Member

Entertainingly, the only thing everybody seems to agree on is that Chris Hemsworth is the best part.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Looking at IMDB right now, the movie gets an average of 7.7 from female reviewers and a 3.8 from males.

There also seem an absurdly high number of 1/10 ratings. 47%. That's pretty hard to believe.
    That's because a bunch of people spammed it with negative reviews before it was out. The opposite happened at IMDB with Batman v. Superman; a bunch of people who claimed to have seen "advanced screenings" poured on a bunch of rave reviews and then the actual reviews came out and shredded it.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

If projections hold it will open around $50-53+ million this weekend here domestic. A big issue will be if it will have staying power with Star Trek and other films arriving the next week or two.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    If projections hold it will open around $50-53+ million this weekend here domestic. A big issue will be if it will have staying power with Star Trek and other films arriving the next week or two.
    Reboot vs. reboot!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trooper_thorn View Post
    Entertainingly, the only thing everybody seems to agree on is that Chris Hemsworth is the best part.

Honestly I found Hemsworth's character pretty Irritating. He was the aggravating kind of stupid, not the funny kind.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Incredible Member

I tried to read the audience reviews on RT, and pretty much gave up. Hearing about the sexism was one thing, actually reading it was another.

But as most have said the general consensus by most is that it's the horrible and it's not great either. In any other universe it would be another forgettable remake/reboot.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Nuke View Post
    I tried to read the audience reviews on RT, and pretty much gave up. Hearing about the sexism was one thing, actually reading it was another.

But as most have said the general consensus by most is that it's the horrible and it's not great either. In any other universe it would be another forgettable remake/reboot.
    That universe is gone.

Until studios properly compensate creators for the IPs-get ready to see more wars on sex, race & LGBT when other old tv shows & movies get "rebooted". No one is willing to give up their ideas for pennies or to see it ruined by a studio.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Looking further, 60% of female reviewers give it a 10 and 53% of male reviewers give it a 1.

All in all it seems if you want ac actual non-biased sampling you just ignore the extremes and give it a mark out of 8
    There seems to be a lot of objectivity there!

In all seriousness though, this is probably the best example of the sexism that permeates nerd culture that I've seen in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    There seems to be a lot of objectivity there!

In all seriousness though, this is probably the best example of the sexism that permeates nerd culture that I've seen in a long time.
    It reminds me of Power Girl's boob window removal.

Classic.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member

Just at a glance, if you take out all the 1sfrom the men and all the 20s from women it seems to average at around a 7.5/10.

As I said, ignoring all 1s and 10s the three highest scores from women are 7, 8, and 9. From men they are 6, 7, and 8.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-15-2016 at 06:29 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

BANNED

I honestly thought it was great. Funnier than the original, more action, great cast chemistry and hilarious performances.

Where it suffers is mostly being in the shadow of a classic and maybe going a little overboard in putting in fan service references to that film. I think the original benefitted from having a simpler, more straightforward plot and a romantic subplot/love triangle.

Also, the styles of humor are a bit different, Bill Murray's presence made the original very dry and biting and, well, very Bill Murray. The new cast does a different thing, it's more relationship and character-driven than sharp-tongued, with a bit of Harpo Marx-style anarchy from Kate McKinnon and awkwardness comedy from Kristen Wiig thrown in. I thought Leslie Jones was a standout, too, with the expected brashness but also a wry and knowing perspective. It does go cruder, though. There is a fart joke and some physical comedy, most of that stuff centering around Melissa McCarthy. But the original had a blowjob scene, so ...

Also, just like 1980s New York was very much a character in the original, CURRENT_YEAR New York is a character in this one and it features Homeland Security and lying politicians and the tourist trap Times Square so it's not quite as endearing as the nostalgic past.

Anyway, I had fun. Childhood not ruined. Oh, and at the end during the credits I saw a little boy dancing in the aisles and singing the Ghostbusters theme, which was nice. At least for one kid they successfully brought the franchise back for a new generation.

I'm a huge original Ghostbusters fan, and I just saw this. Loved it, cute and funny and I'm so happy little girls get these four female heroes. The cast had great chemistry together. The only issue I had was that the humor was more juvenile and gaggy, but I kind of assumed that anyway.