Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Hellblazer" Rebirth Series Sees Oliver, Moritat Bring John Constantine Home

With Rebirth sending Constantine back to England, we spoke with Simon Oliver and Moritat about their plans for DC's magic-wielding con artist.

Full article here.

Based on the interview, I think it has a strong chance to make it. There is a strong fan base for characters in their own stories and existing outside of the big events lately. I am looking forward to checking it out.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

I'm very excited to check this out too. What an awesome character Constantine is. I just wish the tv show would have made it too.

Great interview. I'm very excited about the creative team and what they have planned for John.

Spectacular Member

I think one of the best things they could have done for this series is to bring back Chas. He's been entirely absent from the last two Constantine books (ignoring Earth-2 counterpart). Chas is probably John's most steadfast recurring character and will help bring back both the more British and Everyman feel to the book. I've been entirely unhappy with Constantine since the New 52 began, but with a Vertigo writer at the helm, Constantine in England, Chas at his side, this feels right.

I'm really looking forward to this book. I was actually pulled into the world of Constantine with the tv show (which sadly didn't last). It got me to go hunt down some of the older trades and try out the latest comics. The most recent run was ok, but this sounds a lot better.

Every interview before a new Constantine/Hellblazer series says the right things. I'll be picking this up to see if the promise is delivered on this time.

And I was thinking. John made fun of Zatara and his generation's looks being so outdated. Now he's the one running around in a thirty year old get up. Maybe a more modern way of dressing is called for?

Amazing Member

I have no idea who she is, but I guess now we know that girl with the brown hair is Mercury.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I hate Constantine the character. But when the only other magic title is Blue Beetle (), gotta take what you can get.

Plus, Moritat. And Oliver.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

Spectacular Member

Hellblazer is one of my top favorite titles; Constantine one of my top favorite characters. I haven't been a fan of the past two series set in the New 52, even though I love seeing this character interact with the DC universe, I mean, hell, his first story was immersed in DC lore when he appeared in Swamp Thing. But this series, I have high hopes for.

I will be all over this series if several things happen:

1) Swamp Thing stays a recurring character and more stories can be told involving the Kingdoms of Earth (Green, Red, Rot, etc.).
    2) Tefe Holland returns and that relationship plays out with Constantine as the biological father.
    3) Vertigo elements/characters are heavily featured. Mercury has already been mentioned (first appearing in Delano's Fear Machine story arc and reappearing in one of John Shirley's prose novels). I've also read Map and Clarice Sackville will be appearing...this is just awesome to me.
    4) Hopefully the title doesn't get derailed by crossovers.

These four things happen I will support the hell out of this series.
    Sounds like great stuff is ahead though.

My wallet will make me choose between this and Blue Beetle. Right now, things are not looking good for the armored young fellow

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Batman, this, maybe Green Arrow, Nightwing are on my tradewait list. The Adam Strange/Hawkman mini too. I haven't been this excited about ongoings, ever. Might go digital, I'm so excited/
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve068 View Post
    And I was thinking. John made fun of Zatara and his generation's looks being so outdated. Now he's the one running around in a thirty year old get up. Maybe a more modern way of dressing is called for?
    I dunno, maybe it's my age showing but I don't have much issue with John's look. I guess maybe if they're pushing him as a 21 year old it might not fly but I could imagine any number of grown men who may have come up in a "scene" dressing not entirely unlike John after passing the point where they care about impressing people with a costume.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    I dunno, maybe it's my age showing but I don't have much issue with John's look. I guess maybe if they're pushing him as a 21 year old it might not fly but I could imagine any number of grown men who may have come up in a "scene" dressing not entirely unlike John after passing the point where they care about impressing people with a costume.
    If they try and make John 'millennial cool', I'm out. In fact, play him as an older cynic, playing off younger, naive costumed people.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Mercury, Chas & Map. Wheeling out some old school Hellblazer supporting cast in this run.