Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Honest opinion on Slott?

I've seen a lot of hate towards Slott, but his books almost always kill on the top 10 list and usually have decent critical reception, but I understand that people worldwide love Spider-Man, so a lot of those sales may just because of that. So honestly, do people like Slott's run or is he just there because he's been there for so long and Marvel kinda just forgot about him?

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

He writes the best modern Spider-Man.

I think he can write a fun and exciting story. I enjoyed Big Time, Spider-Island, Spock, and way back when he wrote Spider-Man & Human Torch. Dan Slott definitely deserves credit for taking Spider-Man to new places, changing up the status quo for some fresh stories.

But I prefer his ASM in small doses. Taken in the long term, the inconsistencies of characters start to show.

Mary Jane never notices that something is wrong with Peter when Otto is controlling his body? She isn't that dense, she should have figured something out. Also, she embraces superpowers during Spider-Island, then walks away from anything and everything super, deciding that she no longer wanted any of that in her life. But now she jumps into an Iron-Spider suit and goes out a-heroing like it's no big deal? No. I guess it made for a good cover/solicit...but no. Don't even get me started on Black Cat...

Perhaps worst of all, I don't like his Peter. Again, in small doses he can be okay, but over the course of the run, I just don't like him. First of all, he seems to be more naive or aloof than he used to be. Part of that is his new career, then his new wealth and company (that he didn't exactly earn).

"No one dies" is one of the stupidest things I've ever read regarding his character. For one, it's redundant as hell. He is Spider-Man, of course he is going to do his best to save everybody all the time. He doesn't need to declare "No one dies" to do so, it should be obvious--it's nothing new. Second, to have the death of a side character inspire this. So many characters have already died on his watch, and he knows he's done his best, so why start having an angsty catch-phrase now? Because marketing and catchphrases, that's why. It's an old Spider-Man status redressed with added despair and regret, and now, a catchphrase. Then someone died and like, oh duh, guess I shouldn't declare no one dies and just do my best. Ya think?

This ties in to how he has become sort of arrogant. He's not as personable as he used to be. That's not all Slott's writing, but Peter's current position allows for him to be like, the boss of all the Spider-people, and he bosses them around like he's better than them. That's not Peter Parker. He's advanced in position and prestige, but regressed in personality.

Peter used to deal with real life issues, like trying to help a friend that is addicted to drugs, trying to make a stable living, making a relationship work, or dealing with the questions, worries, and joys of having your first child. Now he makes gadgets and deals with press conferences and corporate espionage--it sounds like a certain other hero. But even without that, the wacky spider-adventures, which can be quite awesome under Slott, kind of took over Peter's private life as well. Like, there doesn't seem to be a difference in tone when he's just trying to be Peter. His struggle is no longer real. Dude needs to turn in his every-man card.

I'm ready for Slott's run to end. I know it's not going to happen anytime soon, but I'm ready. I want a Peter Parker that I can respect again.
    Last edited by LASERlips; 07-15-2016 at 10:15 AM.

He is the best Spider-Man writer of all time in my book. Second only to Stan Lee for obvious reasons. Closely behind him is Gerry Conway. His Spider-Man comics selling as well as they do isn't a coincidence, regardless of what the detractors - mostly the ones that want the spider-marriage back - might say.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

You ever watch a TV show that you kind of enjoyed? But it stayed on the air a little too long. The later seasons were just kind of there. It couldn't quite hit the same notes as before.

That's Slott on ASM.

He started off really great, his starting arcs validate the discussion for him to be in the top 10 - top 5 best Spider-Man writers.
    But then it faded, he started going for more action and less substance, and his work has started to struggle from it.

There have been quite a bit of stories from his run that has upset readers, but it's been good.

In general Slott started off amazing and peaked right before Goblin Nation in SSM. Since then his work hasn't been as good as the past, and leaves you wanting more for numerous story arcs.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

He's alright. But up until Spider-verse or maybe even Superior I lost interest in his work.
    I don't think he is 100% the problem I think it's just event fatigue. The books have no room to breathe before they're being dragged into a huge event. Whether it be a Marvel wide one or one relegated to the Spider-books.

That said I really liked Big Time, Spider Island and Ends of the Earth. And Renew Your Vows is a gosh darn masterpiece.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

For me, his work is in three phases.

Phase 1 was potential. This was when he had an acclaimed mini, and some great guest appearances, and I figured that he might be one of the best Spider-Man writers ever if given the right chance. I still thought so during the Brand New Day era when he did good work, but nothing on the level of Spider-Man/ Human Torch.

Phase 2 was when the potential was met in the Big Time/ Superior Spider-Man era. This was when we had a bunch of great Spider-Man stories in quick succession. The Big Time. No One Dies. Spider Island. Dying Wish. Sometimes it was good. Often it was great. Superior Spider-Man's also part of this, as an interesting experiment that is going to go down as one of the best mega-arcs in Spider-Man.

The next phase is Volumes 3 and 4 of Amazing Spider-Man. It's consistently good, but it's not great. Aside from Renew Your Vows, which is easily a Top 50 Spider-Man story. I'm not sure what it is. Is he running out of steam? Is Parker Industries just not connecting with me as much as other stuff? Is it just a coincidence that there's a string of weird storytelling decisions (The Zodiac as the bad guys for 8 issues for quick succession) at this particular time? Is he setting up material for Clone Conspiracy and whatever comes after?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

He's alright sometimes.

Most of the time I just feel this overwhelming sense of "meh", while reading his Spider-man.

I think he needs to go do something different now and give a new writer a shot (for the love of God). Honestly the thing I dislike the most is his "Peter Parker". I'm tired of reading about him. I admire Slott's ideas. I think all of them are great. I love the concept of superior, spider-verse, CEO Parker, etc. but I think his execution is lackluster and his "Peter" has never really worked for me. So "meh" is all I can say. The dude should just throw out ideas, and let a better writer write them.

Also, I've heard about his internet temper tantrums. But I don't know the guy personally, so I'm not gonna judge him solely off of that. The most recent one was entertaining enough though.

Fantastic Member

I like a lot of his stories, his dialogue - he's a great writer; for me the impact of the few bad stories doesn't come close to balancing the good stories. The best Spider-Man stories are relatable - and often some details are reused, overlooked or just to grand to fit in the confines of the book and move things forward... And there are a couple of stories on his run, granted the direction likely happened at a higher level, that seriously damaged the book.

As a custodian of a ~50 year old book, I think he did an admirable job, but ultimately what gets turned over to someone else is not as good as when he took it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderguy4 View Post
    I've seen a lot of hate towards Slott, but his books almost always kill on the top 10 list and usually have decent critical reception, but I understand that people worldwide love Spider-Man, so a lot of those sales may just because of that. So honestly, do people like Slott's run or is he just there because he's been there for so long and Marvel kinda just forgot about him?
    I've got an extended look at the Big Time / Superior era, and I'm just about to post my final set of reviews! I hope you find my comments about the strengths (and weaknesses) of Dan Slott's writing helpful to you in answering your question!

-Pav, who hasn't read much of his newer stuff yet...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member

I'd say his early work on the book was pretty good, but vastly overrated by many.
    But his most recent work, from Superior onward, has been straight up trash that I'm honestly at a loss as to how anyone finds entertaining.

Incredible Member

I used to enjoy his Spider-Man / Human Torch mini series, that one that re-explored their friendship across Steve Ditko, Johnny Romita, Gerry Conway, Tom DeFalco alien costume, and present phases. I genuinely found it more fun to read, than the "events" after "events" that the regular Spider-Titles were continually on.

Then, One More / Brand New Day, then him popping up in these boards, being just as sarcastically apathetic, every time I mention "One More / Brand New Day", "Mary Jane". Spider-Man was my hero. I looked up to Spidey for a good dozen years. When its current creator recurringly verbally taunts and criticizes me, up to the point I become "too scared" to voice myself that much anymore here, really burns me.

I'm telling you, the moment Petey and MJ will be back, I will be back. But he "ship teases" them, three times, each lasted only less than two issues worth, even considered them just hanging out as friends "a date".

That is why I don't, and I won't, trust him for the task of bringing back Peter and MJ, mainstream 616 Marvel. Oh, and that Spider-Man / Human Torch? Personally thrown away to garbage, long months ago.
    Last edited by ngroove; 07-15-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Incredible Member Highland Chicken's Avatar

Overstayed his welcome
    Should have ended with Superior
    Which should have ended after 12 issues.
    "I can talk to spiders"
    - Kaine Parker

Incredible Member

I'm a long time Spidey fan and Slott renewed my interest in the character. I think it may be time for him to move on to something else though.