Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Carolina Wall-Crawler Southern_Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zevad View Post
    Good ideas. Needs a better editor to help him present his ideas better. Still I like 90% of his stories.
    You can hate on Steve Wacker as much as you want, but we never had these lackluster Slott stories under his thumb. I attribute a lot of what I consider Slott's downturn to his departure from Spidey-Sentral.

I like Slott for the most part. He told some good BND stories and a few great stories along the way. Despite the hate it receives many places, I LOVE Spider-Island. But ever since the ending of Superior, his stuff has been heading straight down IMO. Clone Conspiracy has my interest, but it's one of those things where I'm holding my breath for it to go off the rails like Spider-Verse, which had promise in the beginning then became abhorrently abysmal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Spider View Post
    You can hate on Steve Wacker as much as you want, but we never had these lackluster Slott stories under his thumb. I attribute a lot of what I consider Slott's downturn to his departure from Spidey-Sentral.

I like Slott for the most part. He told some good BND stories and a few great stories along the way. Despite the hate it receives many places, I LOVE Spider-Island. But ever since the ending of Superior, his stuff has been heading straight down IMO. Clone Conspiracy has my interest, but it's one of those things where I'm holding my breath for it to go off the rails like Spider-Verse, which had promise in the beginning then became abhorrently abysmal.
    So could it be that Slott's coordination with Nick Lowe isn't as strong as it was with Stephen Wacker?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Southern_Spider View Post
    You can hate on Steve Wacker as much as you want, but we never had these lackluster Slott stories under his thumb.
    Sure we did--Alpha anybody? There was also Ends Of The Earth, which was poo. And the silly Betty Brant being assaulted issue.

Let's not play this revisionist game that the Wacker editorship was some kind of lost golden era.

I loved Slott at the beginning of his run. I hated Brand new day. Enjoyed Superior but I now really can't stand reading Amazing since peters return. Peter, to me seems useless. I'm not getting into it.

I am enjoying Clone Conspiracyso far though.

I feel slott has run his course and would like a new writer on ASM

Daniel J. Slott brought back the Rhino after I requested. And not only did he bring back the Rhino, but the Rhino is featured heavily in the preeminent Spider-Man story of our generation. I think that Daniel J. Slott can do no wrong. He is a peerless man in this world and any other world.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    I feel Slott has run his course and would like a new writer on ASM
    Quoted in agreement.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

I like Slott's run for the most part, I think his events are pretty good and Superior was great. But much as I like the majority of his Spidey run, I feel like there are more "meh" moments in amongst the issues that I do like.

Also, it would be nice to see someone else get a go on the title, whether that's a Charles Soule or a Mark Waid or a lesser-known writer, just to add some freshness to the book as a whole.

Gots No Chi Danny Rand's Other Fist's Avatar

Oh and I'm not into his being the head of a multinational with tons of gimmicky weapons and that.

I'm definitely digging Slott's run on Spider-Man. I guess it's in due part to the fact that I hadn't read post-BND Spider-Man for 8 years. Thus, I've been catching up on both previous and current titles.
    In terms of his style of writing, I like it. It reminds me of a really, REALLY good Saturday morning cartoon. Another way to describe it is "new old school." The stories certainly have a classic feel to them. Heroes are heroes, villains are villains, and there are tons of superheroics all around. Honestly, there are times when I hum the musical score of the 90s Spider-Man: TAS while reading Slott's work. At the same time, Slott provides enough new character development and plot twists to keep readers intrigued. Additionally, all of his issues have a lot of story going on. There isn't a lot of decompression or minimalism, so I always feel that I get my money's worth.

Finally, I guess I count myself in the minority for liking the new Parker Industries CEO direction. As someone who grew up loving all of the Spider-Man toys, I really appreciate the tech that Spider-Man currently uses. Spider-mobiles, spider-ships, spider-cycles, plus a sweet suit that melts over Pete's skin and has an assortment of webbing, all of that just harkens back to past Spider-Man action figures and cartoon series. On a deeper level, I like seeing humble, "making ends meet" Pete in this new position of leadership. While the situation has changed, Pete hasn't. Though he isn't down on his luck snapping pics for the Daily Bugle, Pete is still trying to live up to great power and great responsibility. And as we saw with Jay's death, he still can't always do that.

Now, there are moments when I think that Slott has a lot of plot threads in the air. Usually, Slott brings it all together at the end of a story arc, but there are times when there are gaps in logic and things don't fit together well. The recent "Regent" arc had some plot holes here and there. Also, I do think that Slott is running himself a bit too hard. I was just watching his appearance during the NYCC Spider-Man panel and though he had a great rapport with the crowd, he liked a little tired to me.

However, is it time for him to leave Amazing Spider-Man? I'd like to see other writers take over an arc here and there, but for now, I think Dan still has some great stories to tell on the title.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Slott gave Anya a chance so I'm cool with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Sure we did--Alpha anybody? There was also Ends Of The Earth, which was poo. And the silly Betty Brant being assaulted issue.

Let's not play this revisionist game that the Wacker editorship was some kind of lost golden era.
    But the point is those stories (and I agree, they were all weak) were few and far between in the Wacker era. The good to great stories far outweighed the clunkers; I feel like, since Nick Lowe took over, it's exactly the opposite. Coincidence? Possibly; it could simply be that Slott has run out of gas on the title and refuses to admit it. That could very well be the case.....or it could be that Wacker knew how to get the best work out of Slott and Lowe doesn't. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    But the point is those stories (and I agree, they were all weak) were few and far between in the Wacker era. The good to great stories far outweighed the clunkers; I feel like, since Nick Lowe took over, it's exactly the opposite. Coincidence? Possibly; it could simply be that Slott has run out of gas on the title and refuses to admit it. That could very well be the case.....or it could be that Wacker knew how to get the best work out of Slott and Lowe doesn't. It happens.
    It could also just be that Lowe's stint coincided with a particular direction for Slott's run (Parker Industries) that you don't seem to be a big fan of.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    It could also just be that Lowe's stint coincided with a particular direction for Slott's run (Parker Industries) that you don't seem to be a big fan of.
    Sure, but I feel like it's more than just the direction for me lately.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Sure, but I feel like it's more than just the direction for me lately.
    Maybe it's the variety of the stories? During Wacker's time on the book, even though you could see the emphasis on Doctor Octopus, Slott still focused on other stories. Volume 3's focus was following up on Black Cat, introducing Silk in an Original Sin tie-in to pave the way for Spider-Verse, and then Ghost Shift. Really, Spider-Verse was the "main" story of Volume 3. Now with Volume 4, despite Peter going across the globe, the main story that's been building since the beginning has been Clone Conspiracy, and here we are. So I could see it being that, during Wacker's time, you could expect different stories. Since Lowe came in, though, the focus has narrowed. Spider-Verse is just one story of Volume 3. Clone Conspiracy is just one story of Volume 4. Perhaps it could also be have some connection to how frequently Marvel relaunches the majority of their books?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Maybe it's the variety of the stories? During Wacker's time on the book, even though you could see the emphasis on Doctor Octopus, Slott still focused on other stories. Volume 3's focus was following up on Black Cat, introducing Silk in an Original Sin tie-in to pave the way for Spider-Verse, and then Ghost Shift. Really, Spider-Verse was the "main" story of Volume 3. Now with Volume 4, despite Peter going across the globe, the main story that's been building since the beginning has been Clone Conspiracy, and here we are. So I could see it being that, during Wacker's time, you could expect different stories. Since Lowe came in, though, the focus has narrowed. Spider-Verse is just one story of Volume 3. Clone Conspiracy is just one story of Volume 4. Perhaps it could also be have some connection to how frequently Marvel relaunches the majority of their books?
    That might be part of the problem for me. The 1-2 issue "breathers" between massive events have really gotten lost in the mix over the last few years; Volume 3 started with a long arc focusing on Black Cat, Electro and Silk then went right into Spider-Verse while Volume 4 launched with an overlong Zodiac story arc that led right into Clone Conspiracy. This pace and tone leaves very little room for the more grounded Spidey tales that appeal to me, not to mention his supporting cast which is either ignored or shoehorned into these massive stories lately.