Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suemorphplus209 View Post
    I could probably say that I probably didn't like a lot of things from Spider-Man the first time, took a second time later on to either enjoy them or crack up at the jokes contained within.
    I find that's true with a lot of entertainment. Sometimes, the experience is about your frame of mind as much the content itself. Not that you can will yourself into enjoying something you don't, just that there are intangibles at work that can make a story that once fell flat seem magical the second time around.

Slott is talented enough that he has the potential to make any story he's trying to tell work--and if it's not the kind of story that a specific reader wants, then it's neither his nor their fault.

But sometimes you don't know what you want until you read it!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Well, I don't think there's any question that Slott is also an extremely talented, A-list writer.
    Is he A-list though? His Silver Surfer stuff sells pretty modestly. When I think A-list, I think Bendis or Snyder.

It's not really a question of quality so much as vision. If a fan doesn't agree with a writer's vision for the character, that's often expressed in terms of talent, even though they're two separate issues.
    There's that--but when the characters have to suffer because of said vision, when the vision is a contrived one that contorts characters into checking off boxes for a silly plot, when they utter atrocious dialogue and act stupidly in-story, that's all more of an indictment of overall quality over being a difference of subjective taste.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    Is he A-list though? His Silver Surfer stuff sells pretty modestly. When I think A-list, I think Bendis or Snyder. .
    A-list does not have to mean the top writer, just that they are among the top.

I would say when you are writing the main money mascot from the company and has done so for several years you certaintly count as A-list.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bor View Post
    A-list does not have to mean the top writer, just that they are among the top.

I would say when you are writing the main money mascot from the company and has done so for several years you certaintly count as A-list.
    Did you consider David Michelinie, Howard Mackie and Terry Kavanaugh A-list when they were writing Spider-Man as well?

Is he A-list though? His Silver Surfer stuff sells pretty modestly. When I think A-list, I think Bendis or Snyder.
    Slott's been writing ASM for quite a while, and its sales have been impressive. So yeah, I'd say A-list.

There's that--but when the characters have to suffer because of said vision, when the vision is a contrived one that contorts characters into checking off boxes for a silly plot, when they utter atrocious dialogue and act stupidly in-story, that's all more of an indictment of overall quality over being a difference of subjective taste.
    There are competing schools of thought about this kind of thing amongst fans and authors.

I tend to prefer a character-based approach to Spider-Man, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate what's been accomplished with other focuses.

Personally, I've drifted away from ASM, but I don't think it's a bad book in the slightest. I just think it's not what I'm looking for in a Spidey book at this particular moment. That could change tomorrow!

And I can appreciate there are people who felt that Romita Sr. was too dramatic a departure from the Lee/Ditko vision, and so and so on throughout every run in the character's history.

BANNED

To Cheesedique:
    Why ask that? Did you not consider JMS A-list when he was writing Spider-man either?
    When you are writing the character that is THE main money cow of the company and does it for longer then pretty much any other writer on what is argueable one of the flag ship books of the company with fairly succesfull sales for the majority of the run then yes I consider that writer A-list. Whether I like that writer or not would have nothing to do with it either. There is a lot of creators on big books that I am not particular crasy about but still would consider A-list. Liefeld at various points in his carrer had been in so high demand that I think he would count as A-list to but yet I still highly dislike his work.

BANNED

Slott's been writing ASM for quite a while, and its sales have been impressive. So yeah, I'd say A-list.
    They've been up and down. Slott's sales do better when there's no real competition against them, or no other real sustained heat on another title to draw away interest. DC's Rebirth seems to have changed that equation.

And I can appreciate there are people who felt that Romita Sr. was too dramatic a departure from the Lee/Ditko vision, and so and so on throughout every run in the character's history.
    Well, that's a visual and storytelling aspect, but the difference there is you still had co-creator Lee penning alongside Romita Sr. The characterization didn't suffer nor did the characters suddenly start acting stupid.

BANNED

To Cheesedique:
    Why ask that? Did you not consider JMS A-list when he was writing Spider-man either?
    When you are writing the character that is THE main money cow of the company and does it for longer then pretty much any other writer on what is argueable one of the flag ship books of the company with fairly succesfull sales for the majority of the run then yes I consider that writer A-list. Whether I like that writer or not would have nothing to do with it either. There is a lot of creators on big books that I am not particular crasy about but still would consider A-list. Liefeld at various points in his carrer had been in so high demand that I think he would count as A-list to but yet I still highly dislike his work.
    I ask that because you guys are starting to conflate writing for "the company mascot" as being an A-list creator, when there's a lot more that goes into it than that.

If all it takes to be A-list is writing for a popular character, it kind of devalues the idea of being A-list.

Bendis bounces from major Marvel events, to creating Jessica Jones, to having an acclaimed run on Daredevil, to fostering his own little corner of Marvel in the Ultimate Universe.

Grant Morrison can pen Justice League, write X-Men, have an epic run on Batman, and make some crazy creator-owned comics.

They've been up and down. Slott's sales do better when there's no real competition against them, or no other real sustained heat on another title to draw away interest. DC's Rebirth seems to have changed that equation.
    I think Slott's ASM was the only Marvel book to consistently hold on to a top 10 spot during DC Rebirth, though.

Well, that's a visual and storytelling aspect, but the difference there is you still had co-creator Lee penning alongside Romita Sr. The characterization didn't suffer nor did the characters suddenly start acting stupid.
    Again, that just depends on your perspective. I'm sure there were plenty of readers at the time who felt that Peter's characterization did suffer, because they preferred the Ditko awkwardness to the Romita romance. Historically, they lost the argument, so to speak, because Romita's approach broadened the character's fan base. That doesn't make their opinion less valid, nor does it mean that Stan Lee suddenly became a hack because he changed things up to fit the new creative team.

And there are plenty of silly things going on during the Lee/Romita days, not the least of which is the Kingpin being able to take Spidey in a one-on-one fight. Silly doesn't always mean bad, as the Kingpin stuff is quite enjoyable.

BANNED

I ask that because you guys are starting to conflate writing for "the company mascot" as being an A-list creator, when there's a lot more that goes into it than that.

If all it takes to be A-list is writing for a popular character, it kind of devalues the idea of being A-list.

Bendis bounces from major Marvel events, to creating Jessica Jones, to having an acclaimed run on Daredevil, to fostering his own little corner of Marvel in the Ultimate Universe.

Grant Morrison can pen Justice League, write X-Men, have an epic run on Batman, and make some crazy creator-owned comics.
    I think you are downplaying his work and output here incredible so. Its not like he has just written a couple of issues for the character, he has been on the title and written more issues then pretty much anyone else. Spider-man is Marvel's no. 1 character when it comes to money and status. I think you are letting personal taste getting in the way and confusing great with A-list. Is slott as big as Bendis? No he certaintly is not, but then again how many really are or have been so from Marvel the last several years. Is Slott a "great" writer? In my opinion no, but he is fairly good and that doenst really change just because he is not the number one writer.

BANNED

I think you are downplaying his work and output here incredible so. Its not like he has just written a couple of issues for the character, he has been on the title and written more issues then pretty much anyone else. Spider-man is Marvel's no. 1 character when it comes to money and status. I think you are letting personal taste getting in the way and confusing great with A-list. Is slott as big as Bendis? No he certaintly is not, but then again how many really are or have been so from Marvel the last several years. Is Slott a "great" writer? In my opinion no, but he is fairly good and that doenst really change just because he is not the number one writer.
    So, is Spidey what's A-list or is it Slott?

Could anyone come to write Spider-Man for a period of time and be considered A-list? That's what I'm trying to get at here.
    Last edited by Metamorphosis; 12-15-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Carolina Wall-Crawler Southern_Spider's Avatar

Well, I don't think there's any question that Slott is also an extremely talented, A-list writer.
    I think there's definitely a discussion to be had there. He's without a doubt full of great ideas, an A-list "bullet points" guy, but since 2014 connecting those bullet points satisfactorily has been a real problem for Slott.

His ideas are really good (most of the time), but his actual writing leaves something desired.

BANNED

So, is Spidey what's A-list or is it Slott?

Could anyone come to write Spider-Man for a period of time and be considered A-list? That's what I'm trying to get at here.
    Both are A-list. Spidey more so then Slott off course. "A period of time"? What about almost 9 years as a writer/co writer? Which will likely be closer to 10 by the time he is finished. When you have been put in charge of the companys main character for that long where the title was very often a top ten book and/or the companys best selling solo title then yes. Will he continue to be so after he leaves the title? Maybe or maybe not. But right now? Yes he is A-list. Whether he will be remembered as one of the all time greats on the title or industry is another matter.

BANNED

Both are A-list. Spidey more so then Slott off course. "A period of time"? What about almost 9 years as a writer/co writer? Which will likely be closer to 10 by the time he is finished. When you have been put in charge of the companys main character for that long where the title was very often a top ten book and/or the companys best selling solo title then yes. Will he continue to be so after he leaves the title? Maybe or maybe not. But right now? Yes he is A-list. Whether he will be remembered as one of the all time greats on the title or industry is another matter.
    That argument is like saying Zack Snyder is an A-list director like Christopher Nolan, because they both worked on movies starring Batman.

BANNED

That argument is like saying Zack Snyder is an A-list director like Christopher Nolan, because they both worked on movies starring Batman.
    No its like saying they are both A-list directors because they have been put in charge of big and important projects that counts among some of the biggest movies being made today. Zack Snyder IS a A-list director in terms of status whether you like his work or not. Personally I cant stand the mans work but that does not mean I cant admit that he is A-list. An action star like Arnold at his peak is not the same as Denzel Washington, but both have clearly been A-list at different points in time.

Do you actually have an argument for why Slott would not be considered A-list except "I dont think he is that good"?