Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. There's no 'Britain' as a seperate entity. It's Great Britain, the UK (GB, plus Northern Ireland) or the four constituent nations of the UK: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

'Britain' is merely a contraction of 'Great Britian' like 'Russia' for the 'Russian Federation' or 'America' for the USA.

As for Brian being Captain Britain, who's to say 616 Scotland's going to vote for independence?
    I surrender to the Contest

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    Great Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. There's no 'Britain' as a seperate entity. It's Great Britain, the UK (GB, plus Northern Ireland) or the four constituent nations of the UK: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

'Britain' is merely a contraction of 'Great Britian' like 'Russia' for the 'Russian Federation' or 'America' for the USA.

As for Brian being Captain Britain, who's to say 616 Scotland's going to vote for independence?
    You're right, but the point the chap was making (I think) is that Britannia was a Roman Province which was separate to Caledonia (modern Scotland & a slither of Northumbria). So, even if they decided to make him just represent England, Wales & Northern Ireland, the word 'Britain' wouldn't necessarily be outdated. Great Britain will always be the island, regardless of politics. They could also easily say that he doesn't care about a new political border - which is probably the most heroic thing to do. Idk, I am genuinely just curious and speculating as I've never been a big Captain Britain reader. Has he ever went out of his way to defend other European lands? Ireland or France?

Hey, we don't even know if Scotland will vote for independence in the real world! I assume if it does happen it'll eventually happen in the MU though. Possibly without mention, ofc. It's not liable to come up much in comics mostly centred around outer space and the USA. It's why it only came to mind when I clocked this thread.

Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

Yes Great refers to the landmass - our island and not as some uniformed commentators often cite it to spout racism disguised as ultra nationalism, great as in we are great! We sort of are but that's missing the point

In my pretty extensive reading, Cap has found himself abroad on a few occasions but mostly its circumstantial so while he doesn't tend to wake up and think 'I'll hop over the channel and help the French,' he doesn't halt at getting stuck in if it kicks off while he's not in the UK. Most of his foreign excursions have been with Excalibur and mainly to the states. In his UK run he's been on a few islands and Africa and fought the good fight if needed.

There was also an early issue with his powers being affected while outside Britain - i don't think that limitation is still in play, but its affected him in the past.

My reading of the question though is that on the occasions Brian is abroad, a few were mission specific and a few were trips as a civilian where he didn't hesitate to suit up if needed. To my knowledge he has never specifically headed to another country after hearing of an attack/disaster. He has however not hesitated to travel from London or the south west coast (i believe the lighthouse is in the Bath/Bristol area - that stretch of coast) to the other side of the country if called upon. I can specifically think of at least one time in Scotland and i believe Dai Thomas may have called him to Wales at one point.

Ironically he has also had way more space/other dimensional adventures than the average hero.

All-New Member

Cool. Thanks for indulging my questions - I appreciate it!

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    i believe the lighthouse is in the Bath/Bristol area - that stretch of coast
    Closer to Morecambe. It matches the location of Merlyn's Tower in Otherworld, and we have a detailed map of Otherworld.

That far north? I could have sworn i read at least two references saying it was on the south west coast. However i'm still in 1990 on my reading so maybe the location wasn't fixed in stone before then or if the map you refer to was shown in the pre 86' UK run, maybe Claremont updated it after for Excalibur.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Willow616 View Post
    I loved that series. Vastly superior to the US one (and indeed to a lot of other titles at the time!)...the writing, the art...all of it was sublime! Galvatron was my Thanos!

If you're interested WillieMorgan we over at Avengers UK write and draw a free fan-fiction webcomic (that tries it's best to stay in continuity!) that stars Captain Britain and a few others from the good old days. By virtue of not being paid or making any money from this we can use the length and breadth of the MU - even some of those elements that Marvel can't use anymore because of licensing issues (for example our current arc stars Godzilla)! In the next few months we'll have a Death's Head 1 special and in 2015 we're taking the team to Otherworld where they'll be rubbing shoulders with Circuit Breaker and a new character called White Van Man....a refugee from a certain universe......

Why not join us buddy? https://www.facebook.com/avengersukb...=photos_albums
    Sorry Willow616, I've only just read your post. I'm actually more into DC these days and rarely venture on to the Marvel boards.

Been reading through your Avengers UK comic on Facebook and, like PhantomReporter said, think it's a lot of fun. You obviously spend a lot of time and effort on it so kudos mate. I enjoyed seeing Motormouth there. There's a character I'd long forgotten about.

Will the fact that I'm more DC orientated matter when it comes to signing up?

just an FYI for those who don't know: The 'great' in Great Britain stems from the fact that the Roman Empire had a 'lesser' Britain in northern France. It's 'great' in the sense of 'big', not in the sense of 'awesome'.

If Scotland goes independent, we ought to name the rest of the UK 'Superior Britannia' just to f with the Scots. Trolling on an international scale...
    I surrender to the Contest