Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

While some of those early stories may seem basic by todays standards they are still pure Bronze Age delights. Also take into consideration that these strips were part of an anthology and had to cram in set-up, peril, plot and cliffhanger in just a few pages. For the most part they succeeded!

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    As a writer myself, i'm also interested in the mechanics of a story - plot/characters etc and where other readers might see failed lame villains that haven't appeared in over 30 years i look at The Reaver, Manipulator, Highwayman and others and i think ... if i were writing a Captain Britain comic or even a UK-centric team group, how could i bring back these bad guys and make them good or even great. Same for supporting characters. Does anyone else ever look at an old story and think there might be potential in an old forgotten villian? One man's junk etc ..
    One of the first villians I created for my fan-fic webcomic 'Avengers UK' was a relative of Lord Hawk...never explicitly mentioned that was the intention. Originally I planned a Masters of Evil based on some of those you mentioned but the story turned into something else.

Hurricaine did get a brief appearance in the 90's in GenetiX I think.

One character long sinmce abandoned that I think really should have been picked up on was Jacko Tanner. His irresponsible, reckless and boorish behaviour actually almost killed CB during the Lord Hawk battle! What a terrible human bieng......I've often wondered what he's doing now? Given that CB is now more or less publically known as Brian Braddock does Tanner sit and shout at the telly every time he see's CB in action? Does he now regret his actions? Or does he feel even more justified in his constant bullying?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willow616 View Post
    Hurricaine did get a brief appearance in the 90's in GenetiX I think.
    Hurricane appeared in Gene Dogs, and later in 2006's Marvel Holiday Special, wherein he'd reformed, retired and moved to NYC.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/hurrcan3.htm
    Last edited by Loki; 06-28-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Hmmm. Okay, I've got that in HC and Siege of Camelot in HC, so I'm hoping those two collect the five trades you mentioned. Thanks for the info!
    The 2 oversized hardcover volumes (Birth of a Legend & Siege of Camelot) are all you need up until the Omnibus. If you have them, you're all set for all of Cap's earliest comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    To be exact, those five trades collect ALMOST everything. Unfortunately they missed out the contents of several issues of Hulk Comic that they thought were just reprints of Captain Britain and Black Knight's origins - except that the stories therein were not straight reprints, but instead included some text and art modifications which, while relatively small, were also very relevant to both characters. Stuff like revealing the Nethergods of Otherworld had been behind empowering Hurricane in an early attempt to slay Merlyn's champion. To get those stories you need the Marvel US trades.
    Or the 2 OHC Volumes.

Btw Phantom, very interesting thread you've started

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The 2 oversized hardcover volumes (Birth of a Legend & Siege of Camelot) are all you need up until the Omnibus. If you have them, you're all set for all of Cap's earliest comics.
    Or the 2 OHC Volumes.
    That's what I meant by the US trades.

BANNED

Or the 2 OHC Volumes.
    Awesome. I also have this trade, but I'm assuming that it is reprinted in the Omnibus?

Fantastic Member

Awesome. I also have this trade, but I'm assuming that it is reprinted in the Omnibus?
    Yes, and more from the second volume of Captain Britain besides, such as the Cherubim story that told what happened to them after the fight outside Braddock Manor.

Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

Btw Phantom, very interesting thread you've started
    Cheers - tonight i'm going to read through the Black Knight tales and hopefully post more in the next day or so.

That's what I meant by the US trades.
    Gotcha! Great minds think alike but express themselves differently

Yes, and more from the second volume of Captain Britain besides, such as the Cherubim story that told what happened to them after the fight outside Braddock Manor.
    Yeah, all the Davis and Delano solo Cap is covered in the Omnibus. Btw, those 2 OHCs are awesome and amongst my very favourite "trades"

Hurricane appeared in Gene Dogs, and later in 2006's Marvel Holiday Special, wherein he'd reformed, retired and moved to NYC.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/hurrcan3.htm
    Cheers buddy....I knew he was in there somewhere...

Didn't know he'd appeared that recently though!

Ey, great thread. I learned a lot from your opening post. =)

As a writer myself, i'm also interested in the mechanics of a story - plot/characters etc and where other readers might see failed lame villains that haven't appeared in over 30 years i look at The Reaver, Manipulator, Highwayman and others and i think ... if i were writing a Captain Britain comic or even a UK-centric team group, how could i bring back these bad guys and make them good or even great. Same for supporting characters. Does anyone else ever look at an old story and think there might be potential in an old forgotten villian? One man's junk etc ..
    Absolutely. I'm an aspiring writer like you, and it's quite often that I discover what I find to be "hidden gems" among Marvel's back-catalogue. So many great and under-used characters, especially the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Ey, great thread. I learned a lot from your opening post. =)

Absolutely. I'm an aspiring writer like you, and it's quite often that I discover what I find to be "hidden gems" among Marvel's back-catalogue. So many great and under-used characters, especially the villains.
    What medium? I'm mostly prose novels and recently short stories but i've tried my hand at scripts and tv pitches plus would love to write a comic - well properly. Got a 3 part text story in one years back

What medium? I'm mostly prose novels and recently short stories but i've tried my hand at scripts and tv pitches plus would love to write a comic - well properly. Got a 3 part text story in one years back
    Oh, lots of mediums. Mostly comics tho', I've got tons of story-outlines and the like, ready on my hard-drive. I've only ever written a few pages tho', not very many completed projects. These days I know why tho', so hopefully I can start completing projects in the near future.

Right now I'm mostly looking at video-games tho' - that's my big project right now. 2D-style action-exploration game.

The superhero genre is my forté of course, that's what I like the best.

I do like a bit of soft sci-fi too tho', which is only natural, since that's a rather similar genre.
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 06-29-2014 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Oh, lots of mediums. Mostly comics tho', I've got tons of story-outlines and the like, ready on my hard-drive. I've only ever written a few pages tho', not very many completed projects. These days I know why tho', so hopefully I can start completing projects in the near future.

Right now I'm mostly looking at video-games tho' - that's my big project right now. 2D-style action-exploration game.

The superhero genre is my forté of course, that's what I like the best.

I do like a bit of soft sci-fi too tho', which is only natural, since that's a rather similar genre.
    Sci-fi is one of my interests too. One of the reasons i love comics and Dr Who - you can tell any kind of story you want to.

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

Do you know where these issues were collected? I have a few Captain Britain trades (still trying to get the Omnibus), and at some point would like to do a read thru. I guess I should ask, HAVE all the Captain Britain stories been collected?

Hi Rheged.

Depends on what you mean ALL?

But, in theory, yes. The most complete way to acquire all the Pre-Excalibur appearabces of Captain Britain is in these two Volumes:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Brit...tain+hardcover

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Brit...tain+hardcover

and in the Captain Britain Omnibus:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Brit...ritain+omnibus

The Panini collections (all five of them) are arguably cheaper, but actually do miss a couple of the Black Knight & Captain Britain issues.

The Ominibus also collects guest appearances in Captain America, for example. And some other related back-matter stories featuring The Warpies.