Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member PhantomReporter's Avatar

THE THIRD ERA OF CAPTAIN BRITAIN: ALAN MOORE.

Continuing with Alan Moore:

The Daredevils 2, Feb 1983 starts with three prologues - in the first the bespectacled short haired woman has an anxiety attack in her bathroom to do with her memories and fears. She thinks of herself as weak and helpless but in the last panel of the prologue we see where she grasped her towel rail, the metal is bent like butter where her fingers dug in.

Back in the parallel world, The Fury stares at the spot where it 'killed' Captain Britain. It's computer logic tells it Cap is dead but its dog-like intuition tells it otherwise. Moore foreshadows by stating that the Fury is relentless and IT NEVER GIVES UP.

Third prologue has Merlyn and Roma reflecting on the rebuilding of Captain Britain but Merlyn reckons the jury is still out on whether Brian's mind was properly reconstituted 'He may be insane Roma.'

We then see Brian get out of a taxi by the rubble of Braddock Manor - he's back for the first time in years, ever since the old place got blown up during his adventure with Captain America against the Red Skull. Although the taxi driver sees only rubble, Brian is stunned to see the manor intact and inside his old cleaning lady Emma welcomes him back. Brian sees images of himself in the car with Valerie the night his parents died, declaring he doesn't care - he just wants to be with her and his parents will be dead by morning - 'I never said that!' Then in the basement there's a surreal encounter with his parents skeletons who tell him its time to join them.

A tearful Brian agrees and then Mastermind (the computer) steps out and Brian is willing to let MM kill him until he recalls MM's physical appearance is a hologram. A fight ensues as an enraged Cap realises MM has been manipulating his grief. Ripping apart the computer banks, Brian discovers the power source is a cave behind the walls where the organic components of the sentient computer have grown. He is beyond the computer's defences so all it can do is beg and try to bargain with him, revealing it projected a hologram of the manor blowing up back in the day and has fooled everyone ever since. Brian deactivates the computer and afterwards reflects its good to be home and he now has a hidden base to work from plus peace and quiet as nobody knows he's there. As Brian pours himself a whiskey and settles in a chair ... the phone starts to ring!

The Daredevils 3, March 1983 - A psychic is killed during his act by a bald man in black. Brian is stunned to hear the voice of his sister Betsy, who he hasn't seen in years. She tells him that she is in danger - somone is trying to kill her and they arrange to meet in Oxford Street in London. We see that Betsy is with a group of 5 including herself and the 6th was the dead psychic on page one.

Initially standing next to each other the siblings don't recognise each other. 'Betsy ... your hair! It's purple!' 'Brian. How did you get so big!?' NOTE: This is the first time we see Betsy Braddock with purple hair.

Betsy tells Brian she is a precog so thats why she knew he was back home. Across the street the killer strikes, murdering two more of the psychics. It turns out Betsy joined S.T.R.I.K.E which has recently been infiltrated and taken over by THE VIXEN - Only the STRIKE psi division is aware of this hence why they're targeted. Brian confronts the assassin who is revealed as ... SLAYMASTER.

At this point Moore is really using old CB continuity - Braddock Manor, Emma Collins, Mastermind, Betsy, Strike, The Vixen's crime mob (Vixen still hasn't made a physical appearance) STRIKE and Slaymaster.

In the next issue a battle royale spotlights just how much of a threat Slaymaster is as well as how far Captain Britain has come in terms of power and determination. With the help of Betsy and fellow psi Tom Lennox causing a distraction, Cap beats Slaymaster down but its a hard won fight and his arm is badly hurt. Then another blast from the past as Chief Inspector DAI THOMAS shows up, still on his anti hero kick. Betsy covers for Brian's exit and on the last page it's revealed that ARCADE was the one who sent Slaymaster (and trained him). They were hired by The Vixen.

The Daredevils 5, May 1983 - Back at Braddock Manor a strange group approach after weeks of observation. Their telepath Cobweb ensures they can see past the holographic ruins to the true mansion and one of their number Zeitgeist walks through walls Kitty style and takes out an insomniac Tom Lennox who is always in the kitchen at this time in the early hours getting a drink. It's revealed that Tom is Betsy's lover.Betsy wakes and is taken down by Cobweb - this leaves Emma and the injured third surviving psychic Alison Double but they're asleep and no threat. The group enters Brian's room and as he wakes the leader Wardog declares 'Consider yourself a prisoner of THE SPECIAL EXECUTIVE.'

Naturally Cap fights but is taken down by the fourth member Fascination (She and Cobweb are females) and he is taken off somewhere. In between the fight and the last takedown its revealed the S.E actually want Cap's help - they've been hired by 'an old friend' of his. Brian is all willing to help in the cause of justice until he hears the old friend is ... SATURNYNE. He instantly and angrily slugs Wardog which leads to Fascination taking him out.

NOTE - The Special Executive are a strange case. I'm not sure this was their introduction as they also appeared in Doctor Who stories which could predate this. There's also more than 4 members - we meet others soon and they are both extra-dimensional and from the future. Readers of Excalibur may recall THE TECHNET a present day extra-dimensional group of mercenaries who had FASCINATION among their number. The Fascination we first see with the S.E is the future version hundreds if not a thousand years into the future.

The easiest way to explain this is by comparison. If TECHNET are Starlord's Guardians of the Galaxy, then S.E are the group with Martinex, Charlie etc and like GotG, the future group appeared first.

Daredevils 6, June 1983 opens in what appears to be space - on board a vessel and with Cap in battle with a S.E member called LEGION. So called because he can call on a ton of future versions of himself so Brian is battling about a dozen of him. If you're reading this and Legion looks familiar, it's because he is identical to his brother THUG, a TECHNET member - just one Thug. Super strong.

Realising the futility of fighting Cap drops Legion on his head - all other Legions hold their heads and go 'Aarrgghh my head.' - and says 'Ah forget it.'

Wardog tries to convince him that despite what Saturnyne has done, she's innocent and only Cap can save her. They arrive on another earth prompting Brian to say 'Oh no, not another one.' This one looks all bright and space-port futuristic and Moore introduces another significant development.

Wardog introduces Cap to CAPTAIN ENGLAND, protector of this earth and CAPTAIN ALBION, from the earth next door. This is the first real hint (Beside Captain UK) of a series of at least thematic counterparts to CB.

CAPTAIN ENGLAND is even more muscular than Brian, speaks with a northern accent and has a brown beard - imagine Hercules in a CBesque costume.

CAPTAIN ALBION is a lady from an earth where Elizabeathan sensibilities still exist - perhaps in this reality Elizabeth had a Tudor heir/child. C.A speaks in a Shakesperean courtly olde English manner with her hat, cape, waist sash and sword having a 16th century feel to them.

In an interlude we see The Fury as the only being to survive the Twisted World's reality warp intact.

Cap visits Saturnyne who is on her knees, clothes a bit torn and her arms in a back situated restraint unit. She is angry at him 'Aren't you going to laugh? Aren't you pleased to see me like this?' and he is too stunned to be angry with her. She explains that because the Push failed she has been brought to account. Cap calls her out for abandoning her and Saturnyne tells him she was foolish to have relied on him to help and to get out of there and leave her to her fate. Her face is streaked with tears.

Cap kneels by her and says 'Saturnyne, you're selfish, you're callous, you're conceited .. But no i'm not enjoying seeing you like this. I thought i would. I was wrong.' He promises to testify for her.

The Supreme Omniversal Tribune is convened in front of a crowd of what looks like hundreds of thousands of aliens in a vast arena and presiding is MANDRAGON. The only problem is that this guy who is judge, jury and executioner is also Saturnyne's successor and will take over if she's found guilty and become the next Omniversal Tyrant. So its rigged from the start - Mandragon states that before we move to the matter of 'punishment' they must first deal with the retrograde earth that threatens to taint all other earths. He can destroy it with the push of a button.

In the gallery Cap shouts out 'Destroy an entire universe? Are you people insane?'

Mandragon replies that the witness should be quiet or removed from the court. He then over-rides objections and kills the Twisted World, also incidentally obliterating all evidence that can help Saturnyne. In the void THE FURY is the only thing left.

Continues next post with THE DAREDEVILS 7.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomReporter View Post
    THE THIRD ERA OF CAPTAIN BRITAIN: ALAN MOORE.
    NOTE - The Special Executive are a strange case. I'm not sure this was their introduction as they also appeared in Doctor Who stories which could predate this. There's also more than 4 members - we meet others soon and they are both extra-dimensional and from the future. Readers of Excalibur may recall THE TECHNET a present day extra-dimensional group of mercenaries who had FASCINATION among their number. The Fascination we first see with the S.E is the future version hundreds if not a thousand years into the future.
    The Special Executive appeared in Dr. Who Monthly first. And the reason they were replaced by the Technet was because of rights uncertainties over members who debuted in DWM first - frequently, Dr. Who writers own or co-own the characters they create, so the Executive members who appeared in DWM were dropped when the group was remodelled as the earlier Technet.

Fantastic Member

Was Thunderclap the only British hero created in the Spidey or Hulk UK strips?
    Its debatable that he was created to be British, though later info confirms to be from the UK. In his first appearance he was NYC based, and Spider-Man comments on the British accents of other people he meets moments after Thunderclap, yet fails to do so for when meeting Thunderclap (not even a "what, another Brit?" or similar). And yes, if you discount the non-costumed heroic types from Otherworld who turned up in the Black Knight story (Vortigern, etc.) then he's the only British hero I can recall being created in said comics.

Interesting facts about the Special Executive - i sort of knew there was something to do with Doctor Who appearances but i'd never read them so good to find out. I'd assume Wardog, Zeitgeist and Cobweb were the characters that were not clear cut for continued Marvel use - possibly Legion as he was replaced with his identical differently powered and named brother. Fascination was the only main S.E character who appeared in the Technet so clearly Marvel owned - some of the background ones also made the Technet. Did they have bigger parts in Doctor Who?

So if we count Brian first and add in Betsy, Dai (included for his later part in Knights of Pendragon) and Meggan and exclude Lance Hunter because he was less superhero than Intelligence/Naval/Shield-lite supporting cast, then Thunderclap is the fifth 616 Marvel UK hero but chronologically the 3rd?

1) Brian - Oct 1976
    5) Dai - Oct 1976. As a Pendragon July 1990
    4) Betsy - Dec 1976. As Captain Britain circa 1985
    2) Meggan - Dec 1983
    3) Thunderclap - 1984

I exclude British characters created at main Marvel like Black Knight, Union Jack, Spitfire etc and extradimensionals such as Otherworld heroes and Captain Britain Corps members including Captain UK.

Aside - later on i will be examining WWII and later British heroes from main Marvel - UJ, SF, BK etc. Next post on CB the Alan Moore years coming soon.

I think you have missed out a hero from the obscure and (very!) short-lived Timesmasher strip: Kilgore Slaughter

I remember reading an interview with Paul Neary about it back in the day, but never actually came across the strip itself. This Scottish super-being has his origin tied to Captain Britain and Merlyn.

I wonder if Loki can dig up some examples of the strip itself? Or even the interview I mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I think you have missed out a hero from the obscure and (very!) short-lived Timesmasher strip: Kilgore Slaughter

I remember reading an interview with Paul Neary about it back in the day, but never actually came across the strip itself. This Scottish super-being has his origin tied to Captain Britain and Merlyn.

I wonder if Loki can dig up some examples of the strip itself?
    Sounds interesting. My reading is still in 1983 - was it earlier or later? I wonder if Loki might also know if the Thunderclap story can be found online.

I believe it was '82.

Fantastic Member

Interesting facts about the Special Executive - i sort of knew there was something to do with Doctor Who appearances but i'd never read them so good to find out. I'd assume Wardog, Zeitgeist and Cobweb were the characters that were not clear cut for continued Marvel use
    Correct - they all debuted in DWM first. Wardog came first, then Zeitgeist and Cobweb next.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/wardog.htm
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/cobwb1.htm
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/zeitg1.htm

- possibly Legion as he was replaced with his identical differently powered and named brother.
    No, there shouldn't be any more problem using Legion than Fascination, though the name change for both of them suggests the names might have been an issue (remember that Numbers and Ringtoss were never named while with the Special Executive).
    Fascination was the only main S.E character who appeared in the Technet so clearly Marvel owned - some of the background ones also made the Technet. Did they have bigger parts in Doctor Who?
    No, the only other SE members with any size of a role were Viridian the Brain-Feeler and Millennium, both of whom died during their first appearances.

So if we count Brian first and add in Betsy, Dai (included for his later part in Knights of Pendragon) and Meggan and exclude Lance Hunter because he was less superhero than Intelligence/Naval/Shield-lite supporting cast, then Thunderclap is the fifth 616 Marvel UK hero but chronologically the 3rd?

1) Brian - Oct 1976
    5) Dai - Oct 1976. As a Pendragon July 1990
    4) Betsy - Dec 1976. As Captain Britain circa 1985
    2) Meggan - Dec 1983
    3) Thunderclap - 1984
    Dai predates Brian, but he first appeared in a US title, so he would be discounted in the same way Union Jack, etc. are. But you've missed the Crusader, who debuted in November 1981 (or maybe even earlier).
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/crusader.htm
    And also, as Panic mentions, Kilgore Slaughter (more on him later).

I exclude British characters created at main Marvel like Black Knight, Union Jack, Spitfire etc and extradimensionals such as Otherworld heroes and Captain Britain Corps members including Captain UK.
    The Otherworld heroes were often British originally; they merely moved to Otherworld at some point.

There's also all the slain heroes of Earth-238 who we see in Marvel Super-Heroes #388 and the Daredevils #7, who all predate Meggan - however, they are all (a) extradimensional, and (b) analogues of British superheroes from other UK companies, so they are a touch tenuous for counting purposes.

Fantastic Member

I wonder if Loki can dig up some examples of the strip itself? Or even the interview I mentioned?
    Timesmasher was intended as a companion strip of sorts to Captain Britain, a second UK hero. However, it never got passed the origin story - I personally wasn't enamoured of the art, and wonder if that was what scuppered it with other readers too. It appeared in Rampage #40, 42, 43 and 44, with the interview you mentioned running in Rampage #41 and (iirc) Marvel Super-Heroes the same month.

Fantastic Member

I believe it was '82.
    Close - end of 1981.

Fantastic Member

I wonder if Loki might also know if the Thunderclap story can be found online.
    Not that I know of. The same story that introduced him also introduced the villainous Assassin-8.
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix6/assassin8.htm

Loki - Thanks for the info - i've enjoyed the Marvelunapp site for many years so its nice to converse with one of its main contributors. Having just returned from a night of Jack Daniels and beer with friends, i will check out the links tomorrow in greater detail than i'm currently able!

File Clerk of MI13 The Sword is Drawn's Avatar

He also has what remains to be one of the most awesome names ever.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

A Blog dedicated to the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

Interesting stuff - of course i did know from earlier postings that Dai debuted in T.O.D but forgot. I would tend to dismiss all 238 heroes from list and Crusader as well as his only possible 616 outing was getting killed on his origin. Has Kilgore Slaughter been seen since and what was the cover date of his first appearance?

Fantastic Member

Interesting stuff - of course i did know from earlier postings that Dai debuted in T.O.D but forgot. I would tend to dismiss all 238 heroes from list and Crusader as well as his only possible 616 outing was getting killed on his origin. Has Kilgore Slaughter been seen since and what was the cover date of his first appearance?
    No, and September 1981 respectively.