Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    So he had a meltdown because they cropped out her underwear?
    I know. Such a little but as I said I get his art. Such a little thing to meltdown over. Not like they put a sweater or pants over wonder woman.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Supermutant2099 View Post
    I know. Such a little but as I said I get his art. Such a little thing to meltdown over. Not like they put a sweater or pants over wonder woman.
    Actually he's claiming that all his covers have been edited without his consent.

Extraordinary Member

This cover is so less offensive then they say a lot of dc covers. My only thinking is just little bit of underwear? Come on rucka. Don't got to be so sensitive about it. Come on Cho. That gets you to quit? I get its your artwork and the way went about. This is your dream job at dc and let this be thing get you off book?
    My guess is, at least based on Cho's story, that they discussed things with Rucka and his impression is things were going to continue that way for the rest of the year. My guess, (sorry Gail), is that Rucka intended to make things hard for Cho for the rest of his run. I make these guesses merely to understand why Cho may give up on doing something he has waited to do a long time.

Also, it looks like he may get to continue to draw Wonder Woman on the variant covers for Trinity.

Also also, I wonder whether Sharp and Scott, and now Frison, are getting the same 'direction' from Rucka.

Amazing Member

This isn't fine art, it's commercial art and as such illustrators are expected to collaborate with those outside the discipline. Frank should know better, unless he thinks he's The Untouchable Frank Cho now. Apparently DC editorial disagrees.

Considering Cho's been drawing Lynda Carter at least since his University2 days, I gotta say I've found the two covers I've seen disappointing. As an art director, I'd argue the head on one is 15% too small and the pose on the other doesn't make sense (deflecting bullets with her elbows?) but maybe I'd be considered a censor for offering constructive criticisms.

Either way, I have no idea what Rucka's problems were with Cho's art but what should have been a dream assignment for Frank and eye candy for fans has turned into frustration for us all.

Hopefully Rucka responds.

Amazing Member

So he had a meltdown because they cropped out her underwear?
    Isn't this the same "underwear" she's been wearing for decades, just covered by an armored skirt?

Extraordinary Member

Rob Liefeld tweeted about why the change to that cover, cropping it like that, would take away from the intention of the artist and that artists don't like that type of stuff. It probably had little to do with the particular part of her costume that was not cut off and more to do with how the image looked as a result, the way it affected it as a whole.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Actually he's claiming that all his covers have been edited without his consent.
    He claims Rucka requested changes, but I am not sure he even made them. I don't see a laddo, and I do see arm bands. However, if any changes were made, they were made by him since the finished covers are the same as his inked covers. The one that was definitely 'edited' after it was finished is the third cover, which is clearly cropped.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPL View Post
    Isn't this the same "underwear" she's been wearing for decades, just covered by an armored skirt?
    I hope not, if so she should probably do her laundry.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I'd wager that Rucka has a general problem with Cho's style and recent antics more so than the rather tame Wonder Woman covers. There's certainly been a shift toward aggressive/regressive liberalism over the past few years, to the point that Mark Waid proudly claims that he's glad to not be writing "white men" in his Avengers book. I mean, come on. Diversity is great, we should all promote it, but do these guy's have to be so self-loathing and irritating in the way they go about it?

I'm highly dubious of any man that proudly fly's the modern feminism flag to begin with. Feminism used to be synonymous with egalitarianism, but no more. Now it means promoting women's issues above and beyond an equal and level playing field. Egalitarianism across gender and racial divides is what everyone should be striving for while at the same time being mindful and not allowing logic and reason to be checked at the door for the sake of petty politics and virtue signaling.

I hope not, if so she should probably do her laundry.
    LOL. Post of the day. I needed a good laugh.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Yeah, the only reason I'm a Rucka fan is that, despite being a die hard SJW, he doesn't let that nonsense slip into his work very much.

Hopefully Cho can get on another project...like BoP? Or Captain Marvel? Or, the best win-wins possible, a new Power Girl, or She-Hulk, title.

Quote Originally Posted by John Aston View Post
    In fairness, DC hired Frank Cho to draw Wonder Woman covers because he's Frank Cho. His resume does include drawing idealized women but he is capable of fine ink rendering and is insanely talented with perspective, anatomy and attention to detail. DC landed a solid comic artist for their project who had previously been closely tied to Marvel for years.

This swirl reminds me when Marvel hired European erotica artist Manara and complaining you get a lush and sexy cover. Or, if we crack open our history books and recall when DC touched up Jack Kirby's Superman faces. They hired Jack Kirby to do Jack Kirby what was the point in meddling with that?

From what I read of Cho's reasoning to back off WW, it seems like there was some interference from outside his DC handlers/editorial/chain of command.

Did anybody take issue about the Adam Hughes Wonder Woman covers like this?
    I did...she had, like, NO CURVES. Hughes is Uber talented, but WW is supposed to be the idealized woman.

I don't really see anything wrong with the cover. This whole thing seems like a big pointless kerfuffle.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Amazing Member

The old costume in the same pose probably would have made Rucka's head explode.

WW_36.jpg

This is a good thing, I think, as Cho clearly wasn't doing his best work while with Rucka.

I bet he work better with an Amanda Conner, on a new Power Girl/Woman book, tho.

Amazing Member

What little understanding I have of comics I imagine Rucka made a comment that the tinge of cheesecake was kind of tacky and it entered the echo-chamber of editorial and magnified until it resulted in an edit.
    Its unfortunate because Cho on Wonder Woman is a good fit... he's basicallly been drawing the same Wonder Woman figure for the last 15-20 years. Im a little disappointed in Cho because it seems like American artists find ways to disappoint fans at every available chance.