Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    I really like Frank Cho's art but, let's face it, the man himself is more than a bit of a sexist pig. That's fine, it takes all types to move the world, but if you ever look at his facebook or other pages, it's pretty clear that his attitudes towards women are somewhere in the Stone Age. He loves drawing women and does a tremendous job of creating physically beautiful creations (even if it seems he can only draw one face) but there is no question that "sexualizing" is what he does, and he does so without the slightest bit of self-awareness.

That being said, when you hire Frank Cho to do your variant covers, you know what it is you are getting - or you should, at least. Censoring him is not appropriate, if that is what has happened here.
    You know this is a no win situation really.

If an artist draws a woman with little clothing on and a nice body he gets called sexist or over sexualizing women. If artist were drawing women less attractive all covered up you would hear how men are afraid to let women show their sexuality. Seriously we live in a world now where everyone must have some kind of axe to grind….everyone is always looking for something to be offended of. And truth be told people just love to complain and find some kind of injustice no matter what the topic. I don’t know….I’m so over people.

Amazing Member

Well damn. Guess I'll be dropping WW after issue #6 since I was just buying them because of Cho's variants. Same reason I dropped Totally Awesome Hulk.
    Pull List: Image - 24; DC/Vertigo - 17; Marvel - 15; DarkHorse - 3; Indies - 4

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    Mountain out of a mole hill.

Two creators disagreed with one another. One creator has veto power. The one without veto power left.

It isn't a big deal.
    This this this. It's not "Censorship!" or "political agenda!", its business. Rucka is a big enough draw that he can dictate these types of terms. DC agreed to this, and after the batgirl variant from last year had to know this kind of situation was possible. They simply decided Rucka was worth it.
    Last edited by WhipWhirlwind; 07-15-2016 at 02:29 PM.

All-New Member

SJW? What's that? Social Justice Warrior? Oh, yeah: that's a terrible thing to be. You know who else is a Social Justice Warrior?

Wonder Woman.

Frank Cho is a bad fit for Wonder Woman, and I say that as someone who likes a bit of cheesecake as much as the next girlwatcher. I'm drawn to those covers. But Wonder Woman is a special case: she's ALL ABOUT political agenda, and has been since she was featured on the front cover of the first issue of Ms. magazine. Cho being chosen to draw variant covers on her new book is either pure stupidity, or stunt marketing engineered to sell a book to the very people who wouldn't buy a Wonder Woman comic without him: males who think the worst thing you can call someone is a social justice warrior. I doubt Rucka had much to do with Cho being ousted, but it would be nice to think he did, as it would be proof that someone at DC is paying attention to something other than the bottom line. So to speak.
    Last edited by immaterial; 07-15-2016 at 03:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Things didnt work out. Thats that. Its not drama or worthy a dark knight strikes again-esque narrative of drivel.
    Thing is that the only source we currently have on the current situation is the blog post Cho left on his own site that BC later picked up on. Until Rucka or DC come forwards with another explanation, this is whats real, nothing else is... not even anything Gail Simone says, because as she herself points out; she knows NOTHING about this, only how the process was for her.

BANNED

Astonishing Member

I lol'd.

Neither really did anything "bad" but man does Frank Cho come off badly in the end.

He left, as was his prerogative. But I think it's telling that he made a statement where he kept trying to minimize Rucka's part in the series, constantly wondering why a "For Hire Writer" or similar had any input on the covers.

It's...Rucka's book essentially, though it seems it ultimately was Frank Cho not being aware of this that caused a problem. Even if Rucka wasn't legally said to be in control of stuff in regards to the book anyone paying attention would realize DC is trying to course correct their books for fans in Rebirth. With Rucka in particular being THE big piece in getting fans the Wonder Woman they like.

Of course the amusing bit is the cover wasn't necessarily bad. Thus why a minor change was made. But nope Frank Cho took it as a personal affront.

BANNED

Gotta side with Rucka here. It's his call. And there are other places where Cho can express his appreciation of the female form more freely.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Of course the amusing bit is the cover wasn't necessarily bad. Thus why a minor change was made. But nope Frank Cho took it as a personal affront.
    That's because the visible panty was the whole point of the image for Cho. He's trying to keep his name in the papers, and get those Anti-Social Justice Warriors up in arms.
    Last edited by immaterial; 07-15-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Fantastic Member Iluvitloud1976's Avatar

Well it is DC so I guess they want to keep a certain "tasteful" aesthetic to their books. But on the other hand I do get Cho' point of view. It is a variant cover so you should have a bit more breathing room in terms of art direction because it's not the regular cover that most of the public will consume.
    ".......he's wrong, we're not wearing costumes" -Leonardo, 1984

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by immaterial View Post
    SJW? What's that? Social Justice Warrior? Oh, yeah: that's a terrible thing to be. You know who else is a Social Justice Warrior?

Wonder Woman.

Frank Cho is a bad fit for Wonder Woman, and I say that as someone who likes a bit of cheesecake as much as the next girlwatcher. I'm drawn to those covers. But Wonder Woman is a special case: she's ALL ABOUT political agenda, and has been since she was featured on the front cover of the first issue of Ms. magazine. Cho being chosen to draw variant covers on her new book is either pure stupidity, or stunt marketing engineered to sell a book to the very people who wouldn't buy a Wonder Woman comic without him: males who think the worst thing you can call someone is a social justice warrior. I doubt Rucka had much to do with Cho being ousted, but it would be nice to think he did, as it would be proof that someone at DC is paying attention to something other than the bottom line. So to speak.
    Yes she is all about political agenda, but she is about Cheesecake to, lets not pretend that T and A hasn't always been an element of the character.

Put him on Batgirl and the Birds of Prey varient covers or Super Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Yes she is all about political agenda, but she is about Cheesecake to, lets not pretend that T and A hasn't always been an element of the character.
    Doesn't mean it has to be?

Playing devils advocate.............
    Could it be Greg wants his artists to communicate with him more.
    that Liam and Nicole talks to him by phone and e-mail and
    he is always updated with there art through rough sketches
    so he can tell either of changes he wishes and the reasons for them
    before they move on to more detailed work, while
    (for what ever reason) Frank Cho does not wish to be in communication with Greg
    and feels he is just doing "variant covers" which most always never have much to
    do with the story and many times is used because of who the artist is and such
    is being commissioned purely to sell books?
    Feels like just a another comic book writer vs artist catch-22 in which both have
    legitimate reasons and only some of the fans lose.

Robutt Deniro

Is it possible that it was just cropped to make the title fit above the picture better? Just asking. Seems like less room above her head in the inked version.