Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterPL View Post
    Isn't this the same "underwear" she's been wearing for decades, just covered by an armored skirt?
    That's what gets me about the whole thing. If Wonder Woman were drawn with LESS CLOTHING, nobody would bat an eye.
    TeekVids <-- Check out the news every Sunday

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I lol'd.

Neither really did anything "bad" but man does Frank Cho come off badly in the end.

He left, as was his prerogative. But I think it's telling that he made a statement where he kept trying to minimize Rucka's part in the series, constantly wondering why a "For Hire Writer" or similar had any input on the covers.

It's...Rucka's book essentially, though it seems it ultimately was Frank Cho not being aware of this that caused a problem. Even if Rucka wasn't legally said to be in control of stuff in regards to the book anyone paying attention would realize DC is trying to course correct their books for fans in Rebirth. With Rucka in particular being THE big piece in getting fans the Wonder Woman they like.

Of course the amusing bit is the cover wasn't necessarily bad. Thus why a minor change was made. But nope Frank Cho took it as a personal affront.
    Let me paint this scenario to you:
    Imagine you go to a job interview, it's your dream job, you are told how things are gonna work and you are hired.
    Then on day one of your gig you find out everything you were told wasnt true and made working there a living a hell.
    You ride it out for a while hoping things work out but in the end you know it's not possible, would you still hang around that work environment?

Essentially Cho went to work for DC BECAUSE of the WW cover gig. Short of drawing the book it was his dream job. So yeah, imagine his frustration when he finds out his collaborator is sabotaging his gig. And take into consideration Cho has been subject to censorship since day one when Liberty Meadows was in syndication..
    After 15+ years with no incident working at Marvel all of a sudden day one at DC he's being "reigned in" so to speak. So yeah, imagine his level of frustration.
    Last edited by IamBATFAN; 07-15-2016 at 03:47 PM.

If Cho wants unrestricted freedom he should probably stick to his own characters.

I don't agree with the edits that DC wanted done, but it's their product and if you can't work under those conditions maybe doing work-for-hire isn't for you.

Amazing Member

Im an artist, and as my username suggests, a big fan of Batman, my dream gig would be to draw a Batman book. I can only Imagine how devastating it would be if one day i get to live out my dream only to have one of my collaborators try and dictate how i do my job to the point where i have to leave it! Heartbreaking.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Bobster View Post
    If Cho wants unrestricted freedom he should probably stick to his own characters.

I don't agree with the edits that DC wanted done, but it's their product and if you can't work under those conditions maybe doing work-for-hire isn't for you.
    He is, he's got books coming out with Boom. But that's not the point. He signed with Dc because doing covers on WW was a dream job. There was an understanding to the chain of command, and Rucka's name was never once mentioned. He was hired by DC, not Greg Rucka. The editors had no qualms with Frank's art.

Extraordinary Member

Welp just add it to the pile of lost sales for WW.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I doubt the loss of the guy who just did variant covers is going to be that much of an issue for most people.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I doubt the loss of the guy who just did variant covers is going to be that much of an issue for most people.
    Im not sure of the ratio of variant to regular covers, but if they were 50/50, i bet you anything Cho's covers were outselling the regular covers.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamBATFAN View Post
    Im not sure of the ratio of variant to regular covers, but if they were 50/50, i bet you anything Cho's covers were outselling the regular covers.
    I doubt it is 50/50. My local sells all Rebirth variants slightly more than the regulars.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamBATFAN View Post
    I've never actually seen any of his variants in any of the shops I frequent, but plenty of the regular ones. That's just in my area though (and maybe they were already bought *shrugs*). Even so, the people who are providing the actual content of the stories are still on board. I doubt very many comic fans will throw down money based on just a cover.

And while I liked Cho's covers and have no issue with their content personally, they all look kind of...same-y. I prefer Sharp's and Scott's covers.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-15-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Jenny Frison is a pretty big name, too.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Yes she is all about political agenda, but she is about Cheesecake to, lets not pretend that T and A hasn't always been an element of the character.
    Well, from the beginning she has usually gotten around in little more than a beauty pageant swimsuit and tiara, but even so I would argue that the cheesecake is largely down to whoever's drawing her rather than her 'character'. Brian Bolland produced some of the most beautiful AND some of the most notorious images of WW during his run of covers on her book, but even then it was a matter of DC putting their best cover artist on their worst selling book. Wonder Woman has traditionally been a tough sell to men, who traditionally have done the bulk of superhero comic book buying. But DC are finally trying to exploit her value as a legacy/prestige character (even if she does have an identity crisis) and their best shot at winning over a female and LBQT audience -- an audience that is growing even as male readers who don't buy WW anyway are falling away in epidemic numbers from comics in general. I love some of those Bolland covers, and, as I say, Cho's cheesecake is beautifully rendered. But Wonder Woman is much more valuable to DC as a political icon and (as in the comics) ambassador, not just to the 'world of men', but to potential female and LBQT comics readers. In the long run it's better for everyone (except the variant collectors) if it is fans for whom the character actually means something, and who will actually read the story behind the cover, buying the book. Frank Cho draws a wonderful Wonder Woman, and I would love to see him drawing the book itself, particularly with his preference for less anorexic female forms than we usually see in the WW costume, but he'd have to develop a little empathy first and come to understand just why it is a female reader might find it troubling to see Spiderwoman presenting herself for rear entry on the cover of her own book. Until then it would be a mistake for him to be associated with Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by immaterial View Post
    Well, from the beginning she has usually gotten around in little more than a beauty pageant swimsuit and tiara, but even so I would argue that the cheesecake is largely down to whoever's drawing her rather than her 'character'. Brian Bolland produced some of the most beautiful AND some of the most notorious images of WW during his run of covers on her book, but even then it was a matter of DC putting their best cover artist on their worst selling book. Wonder Woman has traditionally been a tough sell to men, who traditionally have done the bulk of superhero comic book buying. But DC are finally trying to exploit her value as a legacy/prestige character (even if she does have an identity crisis) and their best shot at winning over a female and LBQT audience -- an audience that is growing even as male readers who don't buy WW anyway are falling away in epidemic numbers from comics in general. I love some of those Bolland covers, and, as I say, Cho's cheesecake is beautifully rendered. But Wonder Woman is much more valuable to DC as a political icon and (as in the comics) ambassador, not just to the 'world of men', but to potential female and LBQT comics readers. In the long run it's better for everyone (except the variant collectors) if it is fans for whom the character actually means something, and who will actually read the story behind the cover, buying the book. Frank Cho draws a wonderful Wonder Woman, and I would love to see him drawing the book itself, particularly with his preference for less anorexic female forms than we usually see in the WW costume, but he'd have to develop a little empathy first and come to understand just why it is a female reader might find it troubling to see Spiderwoman presenting herself for rear entry on the cover of her own book. Until then it would be a mistake for him to be associated with Wonder Woman.
    Honestly I think he does have empathy for women probably a lot more than those disgusted by any display of women in a sexual manner vulgar or not. He also has many women fans based on the reasons you listed. I think what's lacking here is balance, I mean they're variant covers. There are people with an agenda that want this type of thing stamped out completely not just toned down and this is what people are having a problem with. There should be room for various tastes not just one.

This frees up Frank to draw more covers for Marvel! Make it so!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    What pile?

Wonder Woman #1 and Wonder Woman Rebirth #1 are the two best selling Wonder Woman comics in ten years. Even more when you count digital.