Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Most Americans probably wouldn't recognise a Brexit allegory if it bit them in the arse. Brexit has no impact on them so they won't care.
    I surrender to the Contest

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Where is John Walker?
    About to face Sam Wilson/Captain America soon.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Sounds distinctly like Ewing rejects patriotism when it doesn't do the things he wants it to. I've been a fan of his work, but it'd be a shame if he goes crazy with Brexit allegories in this book. People don't read books to be insulted.
    so you think comic books should be safe spaces?

is USAgent part of this? There's no excuse for him not to show up at some point.

Astonishing Member

is USAgent part of this? There's no excuse for him not to show up at some point.
    You're asking about John Walker AKA USAgent, aren't you...??

See my previous answer......

Seems like a no-brainier. Of course, they already have a Cap analogue.

Sounds distinctly like Ewing rejects patriotism when it doesn't do the things he wants it to. I've been a fan of his work, but it'd be a shame if he goes crazy with Brexit allegories in this book. People don't read books to be insulted.
    Of course, Ewing is British, so his understanding of US patriotism won't be the same as an American writer's would. And why would Brexit come into it? The book was planned before we knew the Brexit referendum result!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    Most Americans probably wouldn't recognise a Brexit allegory if it bit them in the arse. Brexit has no impact on them so they won't care.
    Americans aren't the only ones reading comic books though.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    so you think comic books should be safe spaces?
    What? For whom?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Of course, Ewing is British, so his understanding of US patriotism won't be the same as an American writer's would. And why would Brexit come into it? The book was planned before we knew the Brexit referendum result!
    He seems pretty preoccupied with it in the interview he did on this book.

As people pointed out year ago, Ewing has never been shy of (British) political satire in his book e.g. Mighty Avengers. He commented on Twitter that he is "not a fan of the current immigration narrative pushed by the far right" as his primary reason to vote in. I don't think that will lead to any insult to you, Cloudman.

On the other hand, who will be the president that commands U.S.Avengers coming this November? What's up with Vote Loki series? Is it possible Ewing will write Loki again?
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by itspopularnowitsucks View Post
    As people pointed out year ago, Ewing has never been shy of (British) political satire in his book e.g. Mighty Avengers. He commented on Twitter that he is "not a fan of the current immigration narrative pushed by the far right" as his primary reason to vote in. I don't think that will lead to any insult to you, Cloudman.
    Perhaps insult was too strong a word. What I mean to say is that political satire can alienate large portions of readers if it's not done cleverly and tactfully. It's a difficult line to walk in a Big Two comic book, balancing satire and inclusivity.

On the other hand, who will be the president that commands U.S.Avengers coming this November? What's up with Vote Loki series? Is it possible Ewing will write Loki again?
    Remember when Cap was President of the Ultimate Earth for an arc? I could see them doing that with Loki. 616 looks more like 1610 every day now.

Perhaps insult was too strong a word. What I mean to say is that political satire can alienate large portions of readers if it's not done cleverly and tactfully. It's a difficult line to walk in a Big Two comic book, balancing satire and inclusivity.
    Ewing is clever. He'll do fine. He's a very positive writer, at least with Marvel. (I can't comment on his non-Marvel work.) So I don't think he'll be trying to alienate anyone.

Remember when Cap was President of the Ultimate Earth for an arc? I could see them doing that with Loki. 616 looks more like 1610 every day now.
    I don't think Marvel would make Loki the president. They've always depicted the president as whoever's in office at the time of publishing. They don't do fake presidents.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    Ewing is clever. He'll do fine. He's a very positive writer, at least with Marvel. (I can't comment on his non-Marvel work.) So I don't think he'll be trying to alienate anyone.

I don't think Marvel would make Loki the president. They've always depicted the president as whoever's in office at the time of publishing. They don't do fake presidents.
    sure, but they routinely run fake candidates; Graydon Creed and Senator Brickman; for starters. I think the latter might have actually made it into office (in a parallel reality, of course).
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 08-01-2016 at 07:08 PM.

I find it hilarious that a Brit is the one writing a 'Murica comic.
    The entire cover screams satire too.
    Rulk has an ammo belt when his pistols clearly don't need them and he looks like a stereotypical bandido from old spaghetti westerns. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleSlimeThing View Post
    I find it hilarious that a Brit is the one writing a 'Murica comic.
    The entire cover screams satire too.
    Rulk has an ammo belt when his pistols clearly don't need them and he looks like a stereotypical bandido from old spaghetti westerns. Haha
    Don't think that's a new thing, with the famous British Invasion of comics since 80s.

What's impressive though, is apparently Ewing wrote a comics called Zombo for 2000AD, featuring Donald Trump as president - in 2011.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Amazing Member

I'm just going to post this in this thread, but what decade bracket are Pod and Toni supposed to be in? Marvel's timeline with age isn't exactly practical. Am i right spitballing both in the 20s with Pod closer to the lower end and Toni the higher end?