Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tragic Bendis Version

26 54.17%
  • Swashbuckling Waid Version

22 45.83%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

1980s Ann Nocenti.

at this point, the Miller-fetish needs to go. He had his run, his influence was/is felt, and was revisited during the Bendis/Mack era, but at this point, the concept needs to be free to go in other directions.

Definitely Waid's, if only to shake up the "Miller-lite" that Bendis glommed onto. I don't mind characters who are serious and a bit bleak, but from Kevin Smith onward, everything Daredevil was such an increasing degree of "uber-morose" that it became exhausting and, frankly, played out. Waid's take was exactly what the character needed.

I don't see any similarity between Bruce Wayne's personality traits and Matt Murdock's, wether it's the darkest Daredevil story ever told or the most lighthearted. And if we're pinning the difference to Miller, wasn't his first Daredevil run before he touched Batman?

A specific tone of a book doesn't mean that every character placed into that type of story becomes the same person.

They're the same character, but, in terms of tone, I prefer the way that Waid writes Matt. He still carries the weight of his past, but it doesn't hold him back.

Stan Lee's Daredevil.

As a Spaniard, I should feel insulted, but it's so fun that I can't get angry.

Both are fantastic, I had to go with Bendis though.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    I'm also curious when people started reading DD. I wonder if readers that started after Frank Miller like the more tragic DD. I also wonder if readers (like me) that read DD pre-Miller like the more light hearted DD.
    Well, I started reading with Miller and the whole Elektra thing. Then I went for back issues, and I preferred the back issues. For pretty much everything I read, I like a little drama and tragedy, but it very quickly gets too burdensome, especially when you consider these are ongoing characters. A piece of tragedy every 5-10 years goes a long, long way.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I voted for the swashbuckling DD. And I go back to the days of Lee and Colan.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I voted for the new Waid DD. Even though I was born and first started reading comics in the 90's, I just love the early Wally Wood/Stan Stuff and the new Waid stuff has that feel

Other than a peak here, a peak there, I haven't read either, but I read the Miller run (who mostly started the dark deprerssing trend) and the Kesel/Nord run (who mostly called back a bit to his swashbuckling origins), and voted on the swashbuckling option. Don't get me run, there have been some great Daredevil stories, but it being so depressing is why I mostly keep away from the character (that, and it has become a money issue now).

Peace

Extraordinary Member

I voted the tragic version. I like certain characters in certain ways. For example, if they ever turned Hawkeye into a grim obsessive vigilante-type, I'd probably drop the book like a ton of bricks. He's probably one of the best every man characters in comics today. Likewise, if Matt doesn't at least have a little adversity to face every day when he gets up in the morning and nagging at him before he goes to bed at night, it's just not a DD that engages me.

For the record, though, Bendis' Matt smiled quite often. Sure, there were times when he got frustrated, angry, and maybe wished things could've been different, but he was determined never to let any of that stuff stop him from living his life the way he wanted to, which is what I liked most about Bendis' run. The guy persevered and I rooted for him every step of the way.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 06-29-2014 at 08:35 PM.

I think it's pretty cool that the votes are this even.
    We need better comics

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I think it's pretty cool that the votes are this even.
    So do I, actually. While I'm not picking it up, myself, I don't begrudge Waid's version of DD at all. I'm glad that people are enjoying it (hell, I'm just glad DD has a book). Lucky for me that Miller, Bendis, and Brubaker's DD are really books that you can reread over and over again and enjoy them very nearly as much as you did the first time.

I prefer the Waid version. It's closer to the original Stan Lee version. I know everybody praises what Miller did with him and Batman, but I don't like Daredevil being a downer.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

BANNED

I like both and believe that characters can have many different interpretations.
    Execution is always key and Waid is knocking it out of the park.

So for now, I'll go with Waid just because of how much I'm loving it.