Page 1 of 51 1234511 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default Ghostbusters lands with $46.5 million....

Its expected Ghostbusters will earn $46.5 million this weekend according to Variety. Which isn't terrible for the reboot. Its also not so good as the film will face an upwards battle in America to earn the $144+ million projected budget back. But the film will need to do huge overseas and as Feig has claimed , needs to do $400+ million outside the domestic market to be considered a success.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/bo...-2-1201815841/

The film had seemed to have hopes of doing even better , earlier on Thursday. But projections right now is $46.5 million (one was $53+ million).
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Fantastic Member

Huh, Deadline has it slowing quite a bit and having an OW of $44.5M.

http://deadline.com/2016/07/ghostbus...ce-1201787149/

Granted neither amount is a disaster, but they also aren't particularly good for a film this costly.

Not a great year for movies. It's around Tarzan-like numbers.

Fantastic Member

And now I'm seeing $47M.

Screw it, I'm waiting til Tuesday before I accept any numbers for the OW, either way it's looking like it'll be in the low to mid range of estimates.
    Last edited by trooper_thorn; 07-16-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Extraordinary Member

In 1984 dollars, it is doing better than the original by about 30%.

However, the original had an increase in its second weekend box office and then a third weekend as good as its first. So it will be an interesting couple of weeks.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

its not the worst movie iv seen its just not very good.

So the box office is kind of like the reviews for the movie itself. Ok but not great. Well it's going to lose a lot next week when Star Trek hits theaters.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    In 1984 dollars, it is doing better than the original by about 30%.

However, the original had an increase in its second weekend box office and then a third weekend as good as its first. So it will be an interesting couple of weeks.
    the 1984 budget is half of 2016 if adjusted

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    So the box office is kind of like the reviews for the movie itself. Ok but not great. Well it's going to lose a lot next week when Star Trek hits theaters.
    Its only "ok" if you don't consider its budget. If it follows typical drop patterns like 99% of movies its going to struggle to even top $100 million domestically. Its going to have to make 300 to 400 million worldwide (including domestic) to have a shot of breaking even.

Right now the only real relevant current question seems to be whether it or Tarzan is going to lose the most money for its studio. Probably Tarzan as it cost a bit more and isn't doing well internationally. Regardless, barring stunning international results for Ghostbusters both will be flops relative to their budget. Best case scenario for it is Independence Day like results where it worldwide total is inching toward a possible break even point (a general rule of thumb is that movies must taken in double their budget to break even due to theater cuts and marketing, with Ghostbusters this number seems to be higher given Feig's comments about needing 400 million internationally).
    Last edited by JediMindTrick; 07-17-2016 at 02:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

and then there's Star Trek next week

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Its only "ok" if you don't consider its budget. If it follows typical drop patterns like 99% of movies its going to struggle to even top $100 million domestically. Its going to have to make 300 to 400 million worldwide (including domestic) to have a shot of breaking even.

Right now the only real relevant current question seems to be whether it or Tarzan is going to lose the most money for its studio. Probably Tarzan as it cost a bit more and isn't doing well internationally. Regardless, barring stunning international results for Ghostbusters both will be flops relative to their budget. Best case scenario for it is Independence Day like results where it worldwide total is inching toward a possible break even point (a general rule of thumb is that movies must taken in double their budget to break even due to theater cuts and marketing, with Ghostbusters this number seems to be higher given Feig's comments about needing 400 million internationally).
    Damn. The low returns for movies in 2016 continues to carry on.

2016 has been brutal to big studio movies.

Zoolander 2

Divergent: Allegiant

The Huntsman

The Boss

X-Men Apocalypse

Alice Through The Looking Glass

TMNT Out Of The Shadows

Independence Day

Warcraft

BFG

Tarzan

Ghostbusters

Next up are Star Trek Beyond and Suicide Squad. Don't let us down!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Which isn't terrible for the reboot.
    The movie needs 500 million worldwide to break even, 46.5$ million dollars is absolutely terrible.

Its also not so good as the film will face an upwards battle in America to earn the $144+ million projected budget back.
    I doubt it will even make 100$ million in US.

Sony needs to learn something important from this flop: Never market a movie where you attack it's prime fanbase. Even CBR did the mistake on their title with "sorry haters!" why attack your fanbase? You show respect to the fans and you get them to come, now? Ghostbusters is having empty theaters, because only a handful of people are interested in it.

I saw the words 'reboot' paired with 'comedy' and decided that I wasn't going to bother going to see it in the theater - comedy almost always translates just as well to my television as it does to the movie screen. Actually, it translates better - if people are laughing so hard that I miss the second joke in a rapid fire sequence, I can use the rewind button at home, but in the theater I will miss it despite shelling out more money. But I'm someone who doesn't go see many things in the theater anymore. It's cheaper to buy the blu-ray, a box of microwave popcorn, and a 2-liter bottle of soda than it is to grab all 3 at the movies. Except at home I can watch the film a second time if it is good and I'll also have popcorn left over.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

Zoolander 2

The Huntsman

The Boss

X-Men Apocalypse

TMNT Out Of The Shadows

Independence Day

Warcraft

BFG

Tarzan

Ghostbusters

Let see Crappy Sequel, Sequel nobody wanted, Just plain crap, Deadpool raised the bar and thus came off lack luster, Sequel nobody wanted, Sequel to a crappy movie that did not respect the core fans, Sequel that took too long to make now no one wants to see, Video Game movie that took too long to make and now no one wants to see,....no advertising and probably made to get Spielberg to Make Indy 5, $180 million and you couldn't get a real ape?, A crappy remake that purposely didn't respect it fans of the original to draw up controversy in hopes it would create sales and have a scapegoat if bombs.

outside of Zoolander and Boss, they are all overbudgeted Relies too much on CGI.
    Last edited by Deadxman; 07-17-2016 at 04:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post

Zoolander 2

The Huntsman

The Boss

X-Men Apocalypse

TMNT Out Of The Shadows

Independence Day

Warcraft

BFG

Tarzan

Ghostbusters

The boss has grossed $63m domestic against a budget of $29m

The movie was a hit.