Default Manitou Dawn and Manitou Raven

I didn't read any of Manitou Dawn and Manitou Raven's appearances when they were around, but I've gotten a bit curious about them recently. Are there any fans that can speak to how well (or badly) they were written? What books did they appear in? What would you recommend as particularly good stories?

Anyone got anything?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

I remember they first appeared in the JLA: Obsidian Age storyline by Joe Kelly and they later joined the Justice League Elite series.

I don't recall everything with perfect clarity, but I remember that I liked them quite a bit. They were an interesting mix of the different paths two people out of time can take: Manitou Raven found himself lost in the modern age and had great difficulty adapting to it, whereas Dawn embraced the modern world almost immediately.

I remember Dawn having an affair with Green Arrow, which didn't reflect wonderfully on either of them. But Raven forgave them both easily enough, as he could hardly deny that he had been neglectful of Dawn.

I think I'll try to hunt down some old issues myself. As I said, I remember that I liked them (particularly Dawn) but I can't remember too many particulars. But I would definitely say you would not regret reading up on them.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

I remember liking them. Wasn't Manitou Raven also a take on Apache Chief since he used he signature catch phrase when casting a spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Darkseid doesn't invade with a fleet of ships. Darkseid chills on your couch, embarrasses and humiliates you, and won't leave. And he drinks everything in your fridge.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nix Uotan View Post
    I remember liking them. Wasn't Manitou Raven also a take on Apache Chief since he used he signature catch phrase when casting a spell?
    This is indeed true.

To the OP, if you really want to read up on the later days of Raven and Dawn, read Justice League Elite. It follows Kelly's work on Justice League.