Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Harley Quinn's Iconic Jester Suit Was Actually Made For "Suicide Squad"

The film's costume designer reveals that although Margot Robbie looked "amazing" in the costume, David Ayer went in another direction.

Full article here.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Her Jester costume and Arkhamverse looks are my favourites, and she's currently more like the latter which is good. The New 52 Goth look however is god awful, so none of that in the films please.

Fantastic Member

Damn, I figured they wouldn't have it as her go to costume but I was hoping they'd show how it looked.

Also, I second keeping the "goth Harley" look away from this film or any subsequent ones.

Her original outfit was BLACK and red, why did they say blue?

I hope we do get to see her in it eventually, especially if there's an actual physical suit that Ms. Robbie sported at one point, if only in flashbacks .

Amazing Member

IMHO, the cartoonish outfits work well in comics and animation films, but they seem unrealistic and distracting in live action movies. To quote Edna Mode from The Incredibles, "No capes!" In short, I much prefer the ragged-ass outfit Robbie wears in Suicide Squad to a harlequin costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Law View Post
    IMHO, the cartoonish outfits work well in comics and animation films, but they seem unrealistic and distracting in live action movies. To quote Edna Mode from The Incredibles, "No capes!" In short, I much prefer the ragged-ass outfit Robbie wears in Suicide Squad to a harlequin costume.
    That and the toon tume has a mask and DC isn't going to let anything cover up a characters face.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Law View Post
    And what they went with is boring generic stuff.

People are either wearing clothing or military gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    And what they went with is boring generic stuff.

People are either wearing clothing or military gear.
    Whos is wearing boring military gear instead of a costume? Deadshot looks like Deadshot when the mask is on, harley looks like harley, Harkness just missing the stupid ass hat no one wants to see on a grown man anyway, croc doesnt have a set costume, Diablos either gone no costume or a dumb over the top one, Katana looks right.

I woud preferred croc in a Mobster style trench coat and hat but they are going for a dirtyer look which is fine since this will be the more primal version of croc im guessing. Not the mastermind who was also proficient with guns.

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

The harlequin costume is in the movie. In the Ballroom Blitz trailer you see it lying on the ground next to her crate.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

We need pics, stat!

She's very cute. I wonder if she would look super cute in that suit, or just silly.

I think her outfit in the movie looks pretty bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Whos is wearing boring military gear instead of a costume? Deadshot looks like Deadshot when the mask is on, harley looks like harley, Harkness just missing the stupid ass hat no one wants to see on a grown man anyway, croc doesnt have a set costume, Diablos either gone no costume or a dumb over the top one, Katana looks right.

I woud preferred croc in a Mobster style trench coat and hat but they are going for a dirtyer look which is fine since this will be the more primal version of croc im guessing. Not the mastermind who was also proficient with guns.

People are just wearing military gear or clothing.

Deadshot putting a mask on doesnt miraculously erase the rest of the generic outfit.
    Harley looks like a random EDM party chick. The only reason one would say she looks like Harley is because you recognize the two tone color thing.
    Cap B is fine cause that's the current look but it doesnt help make the others stand out.
    Croc, again, wearing normal clothing doesnt help him or the rest stand out.
    Diablo should gone with something, he is wearing the same crap as croc.
    And Katana looks right? She is wearing a jacket, a shirt, and jeans. She rooks right for what? Take the mask off and she can walk down the street. Arrow actually tried to match her costume. Why cant the movie do the same?

This is taking place in the same universe with Supes and Bats. Bats and Robin having costumes pretty much sets the tone for this universe. They could've done toned down versions of their costumes.

Deadshot has a costume that's pretty much normal clothing. Why didnt they do a version of this?

Maybe there could be an explanation that this is what they were given but it would be cool if they ended up showing everyone with something closer to a costume.

People are just wearing military gear or clothing.

Deadshot putting a mask on doesnt miraculously erase the rest of the generic outfit.
    Harley looks like a random EDM party chick. The only reason one would say she looks like Harley is because you recognize the two tone color thing.
    Cap B is fine cause that's the current look but it doesnt help make the others stand out.
    Croc, again, wearing normal clothing doesnt help him or the rest stand out.
    Diablo should gone with something, he is wearing the same crap as croc.
    And Katana looks right? She is wearing a jacket, a shirt, and jeans. She rooks right for what? Take the mask off and she can walk down the street. Arrow actually tried to match her costume. Why cant the movie do the same?

This is taking place in the same universe with Supes and Bats. Bats and Robin having costumes pretty much sets the tone for this universe. They could've done toned down versions of their costumes.

Deadshot has a costume that's pretty much normal clothing. Why didnt they do a version of this?

Maybe there could be an explanation that this is what they were given but it would be cool if they ended up showing everyone with something closer to a costume.
    Everyone is recognizable. This katana looks way better then the arrow version even without the samurai armor. Croc doesnt have a costume so iono what you want him to wear. A hoody works so he can hide his appearance. Deadshots look is the arkham costume with brighter red a more traditional helmet(adapted for film obviously). He gets arrested in the movie wearing the trench coat and pimp hat from the old days, maybe he throws the trench coat on again later but I dont see the point. Diablo is dressed like a cholo which im guessing hes gonna be some east L.A banger who happens to be a meta. Ive only seen him wear some over the top ugly ugly costume in the comics or just a pair of jeans. This is still a movie you have to jusify the way they look.

Only complaint i have is deadshots costume being so bright, your going the tactical gear route, thats fine. Dont contradict yourself and then put him in bright red that stands out. Might aswell have put him in metal segmented armor and a trench coat.

BANNED

People are just wearing military gear or clothing

Aside from the color, it pretty much is that version, just with a bit more ordnance and without the coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Only complaint i have is deadshots costume being so bright, your going the tactical gear route, thats fine. Dont contradict yourself and then put him in bright red that stands out. Might aswell have put him in metal segmented armor and a trench coat.
    The only part of Deadshot's outfit that has any color is the red shirt, and it's not only not that bright, it's mostly covered up by the body armor. It doesn't really stand out all that much. Plus, it's not like they're on a covert mission, skulking through the jungles trying to blend in. They're walking down the middle of the street in what appears to be a large city (I assume Gotham) carrying automatic weapons. Not being noticed doesn't appear to be part of their game plan.
    Last edited by kalorama; 07-16-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Spectacular Member

Well, as much as I like her original costume, it would have been too cartoony for the esthetic of this movie, or even arguably any movie. Marvel movies have showed that sometimes you can have comics-accurate costumes, but I'm still thinking some of them would look too "Schumacher" no matter how hard you try, like Harley's original costume or Wolverine's yellow spandex ( complete with mask, anyway - I liked its inclusion in "The Wolverine" alternate ending, but I'm sure Jackman would have looked ridiculous in it ).