small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Default Red Sonja? Rat Queens? Lara Croft? Anne Bonny!

I thought perhaps I should be mentioning this title over on a Red Sonja or Tomb Raider board but here's a good wide open public place.... and I think Rat Queen fans might enjoy this, too: strong, well-defined lead woman character in a believable fantasy setting with a good bit of interpersonal conflict developing, maybe even a touch of the ol' rich v. poor politics in the offing as well. Ariana has escaped drudgery in a sorcerer's palace by stealing what's likely her birthright: a magically driven sailing ship, the pirate vessel of the long-feared pirate queen, Anne Bonny.

Crisp, clear, exciting (!) art work supports some snappy dialogue from readily well-rounded characters, Ariana and her wicked sorcerer nemesis, and, wordlessly, the bow-spirit of her ship.

Anne Bonny, from Blue Juice comics: you'll probably have to ask your LCS to special order it--but it should be still around. Issue two just became available, and it's pretty much on a quarterly schedule. I actually am glad for titles like this, which I enjoy greatly, which publish often only quarterly: this gives me a chance to try several new titles with the $$ I don't spend on any one title month after month.

Now issue two didn't grab me as much as the first, all too often the case with a second issue. Still wonderful artwork and terrific coloring, but somewhat more scatter-shot than the opening issue, set-up for what's to follow rather than of substance and depth itself. Did really enjoy the bow-spirit's control of the ship, and her expressions doing so--facial expression continues to be a BIG strength of the artwork. I wish Ariana was more aware that the ship is the entity saving them over and over again, rather than much of Ariana's doing. Hoping this'll become a focal point in the story soon and be resolved, as it makes the Ariana I really enjoyed reading about last issue more irritating than anything, this issue.

If you're reading Sonja, Lara, or the Rats, and you like well-written, fun comics... you KNOW what to do!
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Thank! I've already read Red sonja. It's quite good. I have yet to read Rat Queens and Anne Bonny. Will check those series.

Quote Originally Posted by Kencana View Post
    Thank! I've already read Red sonja. It's quite good. I have yet to read Rat Queens and Anne Bonny. Will check those series.
    Highly highly recommended.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus