Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Comics & Music Enthusiast NerdyDJ's Avatar

Default Top 5 Ways You Would Change The Marvel Comics Universe?

I was bored and having a conversation with one of my friends about some of the problems with the comics and I came up with this discussion thread.

1. The return/creation of villains. I like that some people are now heroes or even anti-heroes; Magneto, "Kid Apocalypse", and Sabretooth along with a few others, but I would love to see some actual villains instead of this constant loop of hero vs hero.

2. S.H.I.E.L.D would be more structured and sponsor/fund superhuman teams similar to how it was in the ultimate universe. By structured I mean adding more divisions, for example Charles Xavier would be the head of Mutant division and PR.

3. Create new original characters (obvious problem) I like the characters of X-23, Miles Morales, Jane Foster, and RiRi Williams, but I feel like they should make their own names for themselves.

4. Less death, I may be the minority on this one but I'm sick of all the deaths.

5. A Spider-Team with Jessica Drew (1610), Ben Reilly and Kaine in it.

1.Make the X-Men brand important again and a larger part of the MU.Bring back all of the great characters and have a true A-List line up in terms of the main X-Men team with Cyclops,Wolverine,Beast,Storm and Jean Grey.Wrote by a top writer and drawn by a top artist.

2.Make being and Avenger mean something again,cut back on the number of teams and have just one true Avengers sqaud again with the top A-Listers like Cap,Iron Man,Thor,Hulk,Spider-Man..ect

3.Create new characters and villians that don't replace already established ones or take over their mantel i.e. Cap,Iron Man,Thor,Hulk,Wolverine,Ms.Marvel...ect basically the opposite of everything Marvel has done the last I don't know how many years.

4.Cut back on the number of ongoing titles and don't green light solo titles that you know will fail i.e. all of these Deadpool characters spin off where getting in the new MU and past ones staring Gambit,Ms.Marvel,Namor,Vision,Hercules,Nightcrawle r,Storm...ect and instead of all of these solo titles make dual staring titles where two characters can carry the title i.e. like Luke Cage & Iron Fist,Cable & Deadpool and maybe future titles like Gambit & Rogue,Xavier & Magento..ect

5.Cut back on the major cross overs and number of line wide events.Big game changing event don't need nor should happen every year and stick to the current titles run with out alway relaunch to a #1 title like every year.On a side note I like most never had and issue getting into comics even with them being years into their run.First comic I bought and read where two of Wolverines solo titles that where already in like the mid 50's or 60's in terms of issue number.Didn't effect me at all in terms of pick up the book.

Incredible Member

1. Bring back the mutants but disperse them across more than just the Xavier Institute. One of the biggest problems (imo) was that the mutants never really went anywhere beyond the X-Men, pretty much everyone was affiliated with them in one way or another. Rather than just having the Xavier Institute we could see other schools pop up as characters like Storm, Psylocke, Beast, Angel, etc. break off from the X-Men to train more mutants. Have the Utopians maintain a presence as the isolationist among the mutants while teams like X-Factor and X-Force could have a bigger presence in world. Move Kitty Pryde out of the school and into politics where she can do more to help mutants.

2. Establish the Avengers with a set roster and keep it that way. Marvel doesn’t need its own Justice League when they have so many unutilized teams they could be using. Bring back groups like the Defenders, Champions, and Invaders as more than just watered down iterations of the Avengers. Quit cycling random people that have no business being in space into the Guardians of the Galaxy and focus on developing some of the other cosmic groups running around like the Warbound, Annihilators, Knowhere Corps, and the Starjammers with a roster of decent, solid characters. Give the Midnight Son’s a greater presence in general as the team in charge of dealing with the supernatural events in the Marvel universe.

3. Not every solo character needs to join a team, some characters just work better as solo characters with the occasional team up. Characters like Spider-Man, Hulk, Moon Knight, Punisher, etc. work better solo because either their too powerful to really need a group or aspects of their personality and/or methods clash with a group.

4. No shared identities, we got enough characters running around without having several of them sharing a name. Legacy characters are all well and good but the only way someone should be taking on someone else’s mantle is if that character is dead or retired, in either case they’re moving on and not coming back. I understand death doesn’t mean much in comics these days but personally I don’t’ have a problem with phasing out characters who’ve gotten too old, been killed off, or simply quit. Characters like Norman Osborn, Steve Rogers, etc. that have been killed off would stay dead. If someone really felt the need to bring them back they could always make an appearance in the Midnight Son’s as something new like Osborn manifesting as the Demogoblin, but essentially once someone dies they would stay dead.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    2. Establish the Avengers with a set roster and keep it that way. Marvel doesn’t need its own Justice League when they have so many unutilized teams they could be using. Bring back groups like the Defenders, Champions, and Invaders as more than just watered down iterations of the Avengers. Quit cycling random people that have no business being in space into the Guardians of the Galaxy and focus on developing some of the other cosmic groups running around like the Warbound, Annihilators, Knowhere Corps, and the Starjammers with a roster of decent, solid characters. Give the Midnight Son’s a greater presence in general as the team in charge of dealing with the supernatural events in the Marvel universe.

4. No shared identities, we got enough characters running around without having several of them sharing a name. Legacy characters are all well and good but the only way someone should be taking on someone else’s mantle is if that character is dead or retired, in either case they’re moving on and not coming back. I understand death doesn’t mean much in comics these days but personally I don’t’ have a problem with phasing out characters who’ve gotten too old, been killed off, or simply quit. Characters like Norman Osborn, Steve Rogers, etc. that have been killed off would stay dead. If someone really felt the need to bring them back they could always make an appearance in the Midnight Son’s as something new like Osborn manifesting as the Demogoblin, but essentially once someone dies they would stay dead.
    I like these two. I would add:

- Let the "status quo" stay in place for a more sustained period of time. Keep consistent rosters on team books instead of overhauling them with each new writer/#1 issue. Likewise, I seem to be constantly caught off guard by who the latest director of SHIELD is, for example. There are probably other examples I could cite (like how AIM is apparently run by Sunspot now or something), but I've stopped caring about keeping track of the universe.

1) buy back the xmen/FF rights
    2) spiderman family of books
    3) xmen family of books, lots of teen characters. This will be where my true diversity of characters and stories come from. These teens will age in real time. After 6-7 years, they will be adult superheroes (those that catch on)
    4) Horror/supernatural, Cosmic, will be hardcore. No cutesy quips every other panel.
    5) the books will not try to please every type of reader because for comics there isnt a mainstream. Whats expected in Punisher and Ms.Marvel and THor is very different.

I Will continue to buy my 10-12 books, but until they get the Xmen back, and restore Logan, Scott, Jean, professor x, beast marvel will have to cancel books after 6-12 issues and relaunch.

6) Morrison....Avengers and FF.....that is all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyDJ View Post
    3. Create new original characters (obvious problem) I like the characters of X-23, Miles Morales, Jane Foster, and RiRi Williams, but I feel like they should make their own names for themselves.

4. Less death, I may be the minority on this one but I'm sick of all the deaths.
    I'll go along with both of these, so my other three are

1) No more events for at least five years.
    2) An end to the seasonal model
    5) No more Beyonders ever, at all, in any form

Mighty Member

1) No more events or team books for Bendis: Only solos (preferably street level) and just one or two comics to write.
    2) No more events and reboot for two years
    3) More original characters like Mosaïc or Ms Marvel (even if she takes the name of an old character, she is totally different for me), no more characters who stole the name of established heroes. And make the origin story interesting, like the first Marvel Heroes, nobody like Mary or Gary Stue: it's ok to have flaws and not be the best and the brightest immediately.
    4) No more characters shamed or killed for no other reason that they are old, white or owned by Fox
    5) Make the X-men great again. The Inhumans will never happen.
    6) New writers, as good as Hickman, Millar, Remender or Tom King. Beside Bendis (who is not as good as before) Jason Aaron and Mark Waid, Marvel has lost all his best writers. The only promising new talent, Tom King, has been lost to Dc.

1) Less Hero vs Hero Arcs: Don't get me wrong, Hero vs Hero is "my jam". I like it when both sides have their own motivations which aren't simply "world domination" or something. I like it when there is no black and white but more like certain shades of Gray (not the kinky book you perv, I am talking about the Amorphis Song of course *cough* back to the topic at hand) BUT we had enough of those for a while. People blamed Bendis for making the Hood a big time Villain, I on the other hand liked it. He and his Syndicate of Crime entertained the hell out of me and I want to see more like that. I also want to see more huge Villains though. Teams who can take on the Avengers, maybe power up the Wrecking Crew and give them a make over ooor just come up with...

2) ...New Villains!: Thats pretty simple actually. I'd wager that Ulysses will be that next big Villain and I hope I am right. But we need more. The Heroes have to unite again, against a common threath or more of them. You could also re-use old Villains and give them a new temporary or permanent purpose. Kimura has similiar powers to Cage. Make them fight. Bullseye has similiar powers to Hawkeye, make them fight. Whats stopping you?

3) This one is important: GIVE US REASONS TO BELIEVE THAT OUR HEROES ARE STILL FRIENDS... god damn it!
    I know I said before that I love Hero vs Hero conflicts and I stand by that. I also like how it makes interactions between them awkward afterwards... except it really doesn't right now. I remember Thor threatening Tony some time after the first Civil War which was quite the natural reaction, that for one is a good example. But mostly everybody seems to be all buddy-buddy with each other despite them spending the last few years mostly fighting each other. How are they even still friends? Show us!
    Natasha and Clint on a road trip? I'm all for it! Tony and Steve on a guys night out? Sure! Vision and Wanda next to Banners grave, talking about emotions? Give it to me.
    I think you get the idea here. I think that is my main complaint right now.

4) Stick to one or two Avengers books and keep it way for a while. You want new characters in there? Fine by me, give me enough time to get to know them.

5) Stop trying to replace the X-men with the Inhumans.
    You don't even have to dial back on the Inhuman stuff, just give them their on place in this Universe. Make them work together to de-poison the terrigan Mist or something and then let them be their seperate books which do not "compete" against each other.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Incredible Member

1) I'd start an 'marvel fanfare' line. Amazing spiderman, uncanny xmen, avengers, fantastic four. These will be the 'gold standard' titles. Old school writers, long running numbers, immune from changes.

2) a 'marvel universe' line, focusing on science. Both regular and cosmic. Hulk, FF, silver surfer, gaurdians of the galaxy, antman, micronauts.

3) I'd make the nexus of realities and the portal in darkmoor the magical 'poles of the earth'. Responsible for letting magical energies into out realm. And make that the basis for a 'strange tales' line. Dr. Strange, midnight sons, ghost rider, man-thing, and captain Britain and the Knight of pendragon.

4) Ben Reilly, black costume, swinging round London..... Nuff said.

5)I'd like to see 'tale of suspense' as marvels answer to 'worlds finest'. A title looking at the friendship between captain america and ironman

Make an 8 comic "mini line" of comics involving classic heroes in event-immune comics: Spider-man, Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Ironman, Thor, Captain America, and Hulk. Use them to tell stories with the classic lineups and self-contained stories, then let marvel go nuts in mainland continuity.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

1. Restore mutants, and stop this stupid rehashed "we're dying out" plot.

2. Terrigen is a pox given Earth by those despicable Kree and is revealed as a horrific threat to all of humanity.

3. Restore the might of the glorious Skrull empire as the most awesome the universe knows about. He still loves you, everybody.

4. NO MORE Heroes vs Heroes plots.

5. And once and for all put to rest the idea that Doom has any honour in him whatsoever.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 07-18-2016 at 10:38 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyPresley21 View Post
    1.Make the X-Men brand important again and a larger part of the MU.Bring back all of the great characters and have a true A-List line up in terms of the main X-Men team with Cyclops,Wolverine,Beast,Storm and Jean Grey.Wrote by a top writer and drawn by a top artist.

2.Make being and Avenger mean something again,cut back on the number of teams and have just one true Avengers sqaud again with the top A-Listers like Cap,Iron Man,Thor,Hulk,Spider-Man..ect

3.Create new characters and villians that don't replace already established ones or take over their mantel i.e. Cap,Iron Man,Thor,Hulk,Wolverine,Ms.Marvel...ect basically the opposite of everything Marvel has done the last I don't know how many years.
    so no Carol Danvers, then?

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyDJ View Post
    I was bored and having a conversation with one of my friends about some of the problems with the comics and I came up with this discussion thread.

1. The return/creation of villains. I like that some people are now heroes or even anti-heroes; Magneto, "Kid Apocalypse", and Sabretooth along with a few others, but I would love to see some actual villains instead of this constant loop of hero vs hero.

2. S.H.I.E.L.D would be more structured and sponsor/fund superhuman teams similar to how it was in the ultimate universe. By structured I mean adding more divisions, for example Charles Xavier would be the head of Mutant division and PR.

5. A Spider-Team with Jessica Drew (1610), Ben Reilly and Kaine in it.
    1 Agree. I'm rather for creation of new villains or revamping of underexploited villains. I don't want Magneto to go full villain again, and I don't want Apocalypse or Osborn to keep coming back again and again.

2 No more than 1 or 2 super teams working for SHIELD. I wish super heroes were more organized, but not working for a shady government agency. They should rather create a new Illuminati, but without secrets (open membership, public assemblies, etc). Also bring back the 50 States Initiative.

3 I'd rather see Marvel try to do something with the dozen of new heroes they created those 15 last years.

4 Yes. Too many deaths undermine said deaths' impact. Old school Marvel did very well without killing characters every year. The best selling comics ever (One Piece) almost never kills characters.

5 Uh, yeah, why not?

Amazing Member

1....Marvel/ Disney should invest the movie profits into Russia's government. Since so many of the great Marvel stories took place in the anti-communist 60s-80s, that is something we should obviously get back to. Villains like Radioactive Man and Crimson Dynamo would be much more credible in a world with communism.

2....Marvel could create a Suicide Squad for teen heroes who outlived or aged out of their storyline, rather than niche villains. Put the emo kid from Avengers Initiative in charge to make everything suitably dark and gloomy. That way we won't have to ask "Why didn't they call upon (Rage, Turbo, Bloodstone) for that mission?" We will know that Dennis Hopeless killed them off when their expiration date passed in his new series.

3....More Diversity? Do we have a "Little Person" super hero yet? Get on it!

4....A Role for the "Grown Up" heroes. They keep killing off the heroes who have been around for a while. Xavier, Banner, Namor are dead, Reed Richards is out of the office currently, It looks like Stark might be a hologram in the near future. If only they could be a team together instead of being dead, an enlightened group looking out for the greater good of the universe. Something more illuminated than just waiting for things to happen.

5....OK, enough tongue in cheek suggestions, Can I get Wonder Man and Black Knight back, and competent? I don't ask for much.

I would make it so most superhumans can't pass their powers down to their children. Spider-Man, Reed Richards, Johnny Stark, Bruce Banner...etc., couldn't pass their powers down to their children.

But a minority among them would be able to pass their powers down to their kids. All kids born with powers would be mutants, and their parents would be considered mutants too, even if they got their powers thanks to an accident or drug or something.

In short:
    Those superhumans who can't pass their powers to the next generation would be non-mutants.
    Mutants would be those superhumans who can pass their powers to the next generation. Most people born with inherited powers can pass them down too, so mutant's children are mutants too.

That would create a REAL difference between mutants and other superhumans. It doesn't make sense that people are more accepting of Carol Danvers, the FF, She-Hulk...etc. than they are of mutants despite the fact that there isn't any real difference between them (they all have powers, and they all can pass them down).