Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do You Worry About the Aging of Your Collection?

I hadn't really given it much thought before, but do you worry if the books on your self will withstand the test of time? You can't slab and bag trades, hardcovers, and omnibuses like you can single issues.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Not until recently and then only really worried about the omnibus editions and how some sink and the pages peel off the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr`Orange View Post
    Not until recently and then only really worried about the omnibus editions and how some sink and the pages peel off the spine.
    It pays to always brace the page block in big books. Some people use sticky note pads; I like to fold acid free comic boards to fit the book.

Quote Originally Posted by mike1981 View Post
    It pays to always brace the page block in big books. Some people use sticky note pads; I like to fold acid free comic boards to fit the book.
    Yeah I'm going to start doing that, I have quite a few omnibus editions and they do need some care.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

For older comics I own yea, but for modern comics given the type of paper they use not so much. As for trades & HC's yea I do worry abit more about those getting worn out as I can't put them in protectors like I can floppies.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Actually a silver age size comic bag fits trades. You could use magazine sized comic bags for Epic sized trades and treasury bags for omnibus. I have been doing it ever since my sister had a fire in her home and had to throw out all the books for smoke damage. I know there are manga sized bags as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Actually a silver age size comic bag fits trades. You could use magazine sized comic bags for Epic sized trades and treasury bags for omnibus. I have been doing it ever since my sister had a fire in her home and had to throw out all the books for smoke damage. I know there are manga sized bags as well.
    For me I'm not too fussed with my trades it is just the omnibus editions I am worried about. Also from the other thread I may start slabbing some of my comics as I want to display them on the wall and was going to just put them into frames but slabbed might be better option.

I'm really careful with my books when I read and handle them and I support the page blocks on the big stuff on the shelf. Other than that it's out of my hands so don't worry at all.

I stack my omnis horizontally on the shelf instead of standing them vertically. I don't find it a pain to move a few books to get one on the bottom of a stack. This also helps keep dust from building on the top of the pages, which can eventually discolor them, especially if you dust things off as infrequently as me. Instead it builds on the, wait for it, dust jacket, of the top book, which easily cleans off. Standing them vertically keeps a constant strain, however minor, on the binding.

Yes. I worry that Marvel cuts every possible corner on its omnibus line and that I may have spent a small fortune on books that won't last long enough to read a second or third time.

world that hates & fears trudreck's Avatar

no, because personally i love the aesthetic of beaten-up worn-out read-to-hell books. part of the reason i like TPBs so much is you get the same effect with your comics !
    i've always thought omnibuses were a terribly difficult way to read comics - but that's just my perspective. i like folding binding, dog earing pages & bringing books along on trips ...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2Staples View Post
    I stack my omnis horizontally on the shelf instead of standing them vertically. I don't find it a pain to move a few books to get one on the bottom of a stack. This also helps keep dust from building on the top of the pages, which can eventually discolor them, especially if you dust things off as infrequently as me. Instead it builds on the, wait for it, dust jacket, of the top book, which easily cleans off. Standing them vertically keeps a constant strain, however minor, on the binding.
    isn't that put a pressure on the binding too especially with the books at the bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by trudreck View Post
    no, because personally i love the aesthetic of beaten-up worn-out read-to-hell books. part of the reason i like TPBs so much is you get the same effect with your comics !
    i've always thought omnibuses were a terribly difficult way to read comics - but that's just my perspective. i like folding binding, dog earing pages & bringing books along on trips ...
    some people just want to watch the world burn...

My entire collection from the 80's and 90's is in a dozen comic boxes and all in plastic sleeves (which I have always assumed are acid free).

One question about something mentioned above - they are standing upright against each other - is that bad??

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    isn't that put a pressure on the binding too especially with the books at the bottom?
    I don't think it's nearly as much as one would think since the weight distributes across the entire surface area of the books. I trust this way over large paper blocks separating off the spine from top to bottom. Having said that, it's just my personal preference which is in no way backed by any sort of scientific proof.