View Poll Results: Do you consider Kyle and Kendra Hispanic/Latino characters?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

37 39.78%
  • NO

24 25.81%
  • Only Kyle is Latino/Hispanic

9 9.68%
  • Only Kendra is Latino/Hispanic

23 24.73%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

First, the term "hispanic" encompasses anything relating to the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal), and everything south of the United States border and the Caribbean.

Secondly, the term "latino" refers to just everything south of the United States border and the Caribbean.

Third, both terms refer to the culture, not the race or ethnicity.

Fourth, there are many races and ethnic groups within the hispanic/latino label. The actress Zoey Saldana is a Black latina, for example. The actor Martin Sheen is a White latino, just as the actress Linda Carter is Latina (mixed). In either cases, both are thoroughly Americanized, but their heritage are Latino.

IMO, both Kyle Rayner and Kendra Saunders are both Latinos, by heritage, whether or not they acknowledge their heritage or not. But both ARE American by culture, so, it shouldn't matter in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    First, the term "hispanic" encompasses anything relating to the Iberian Peninsula (Spain and Portugal), and everything south of the United States border and the Caribbean.

Secondly, the term "latino" refers to just everything south of the United States border and the Caribbean.

Fourth, there are many races and ethnic groups within the hispanic/latino label. The actress Zoey Saldana is a Black latina, for example. The actor Martin Sheen is a White latino, just as the actress Linda Carter is Latina (mixed). In either cases, both are thoroughly Americanized, but their heritage are Latino.

IMO, both Kyle Rayner and Kendra Saunders are both Latinos, by heritage, whether or not they acknowledge their heritage or not. But both ARE American by culture, so, it shouldn't matter in the end.
    So Kyle is about Latino as Charlie Sheen and his brother Emilio Estevez is? Now I'm imaging Charlie Sheen as a Green Lantern lol and actually I could see Emilio play one of the Lanterns

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post

Then you have someone like Ricardo Mpntalban who was Mexican by birth, but Spanish by ancestry.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

So apparently, Kyle’s creators have said in tweets that Kyle is indeed half Mexican half Irish, so he is a Latino/Hispanic character.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Kyle, not really. He passes as white, and didn't grow up Latino, so while he has that ancestry in some continuity, it's not a part of his identity.

Kendra, much more. She's clearly a woman of color, and as far as I know, was raised by a Latina mother. The writers may not showcase it too much, but it's definitely there, as an inescapable part of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    So apparently, Kyle’s creators have said in tweets that Kyle is indeed half Mexican half Irish, so he is a Latino/Hispanic character.
    As in his original creators, not people who wrote him much later?

Funny thing about Kyle was, as a kid when I saw his first cover, GL #51, I immediately thought he was going to be Hispanic or Indian or something because he looked like he had a pretty olive complexion. But then I figured I was wrong because he always just looked like a white guy. Its too bad they only retconned it in way later.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

By the way, my answer would be depending on how DC, in general, define them

If there's no official announcement, then I look to the canon materials, what the characters consider themselves to be

If it's never mentioned or unclear in canon materials, then the creator.

If the creators don't say anything or leave things to the present writer, then the present writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Funny thing about Kyle was, as a kid when I saw his first cover, GL #51, I immediately thought he was going to be Hispanic or Indian or something because he looked like he had a pretty olive complexion. But then I figured I was wrong because he always just looked like a white guy. Its too bad they only retconned it in way later.
    Yes. Both his creators Ron Marz and Darryl Banks have tweeted out that Kyle is Mexican-Irish. So his creators have spoken, he’s a Latino character.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Yes. Both his creators Ron Marz and Darryl Banks have tweeted out that Kyle is Mexican-Irish. So his creators have spoken, he’s a Latino character.
    Okay thank you it's settled then.

Oh I don't dispute that, I just wish it would have been something they were able to have as a particular focus of his identity from the start, because if I remember correctly his race was never touched on much at all until his mother was introduced much later. He seemed like a Caucasian till them.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

But isn’t it patently just about irrelevant?

It hasn’t played a significant part in any story line, has it? Otherwise we wouldn’t have the results shown on this thread!

The contrast with, say Ms Marvel over at Marvel is informative, I think...her heritage plays a significant part in many story lines, and adds interest and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    But isn’t it patently just about irrelevant?

It hasn’t played a significant part in any story line, has it? Otherwise we wouldn’t have the results shown on this thread!

The contrast with, say Ms Marvel over at Marvel is informative, I think...her heritage plays a significant part in many story lines, and adds interest and depth.
    Well I guess we’ll just have to see who they cast as a live action Kyle, if we ever do get him in that form. Will they cast a Latino actor (Diego Tinoco, Tyler Posey, Ryan Guzman, an unknown) or will the cast a White actor (Dylan O’Brien, Ansel Elgort, Joseph Gordon Levitt, an unknown)... That is the question.

Well I guess we’ll just have to see who they cast as a live action Kyle, if we ever do get him in that form. Will they cast a Latino actor (Diego Tinoco, Tyler Posey, Ryan Guzman, an unknown) or will the cast a White actor (Dylan O’Brien, Ansel Elgort, Joseph Gordon Levitt, an unknown)... That is the question.
    It’s a question rather than “the” question, I’d argue.

I’ll explain why I argue the storylines in comics, cartoons (and live action IF it ever transpired) is more important than a one-off casting decision.

First up...we’ll probably never see a live action Kyle.

Second...if we want to see more interesting comics via introducing more diverse people, we surely want to see different culture, different behaviour...how background influences behaviour...not just some one drawn differently.

The introduction of a more diverse cast (in terms of how they are drawn or cast in live action) is a tremendously useful first step.

But that’s all it is. It needs to be a springboard for relevant stories. Personally I think this is one thing Marvel does better than DC.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 07-13-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As in his original creators, not people who wrote him much later?
    Can anyone confirm please?