View Poll Results: Do you consider Kyle and Kendra Hispanic/Latino characters?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

37 39.78%
  • NO

24 25.81%
  • Only Kyle is Latino/Hispanic

9 9.68%
  • Only Kendra is Latino/Hispanic

23 24.73%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Mighty Member

bjAhfbJDph7idRhuxcuCdE.jpg

Looking at the latest Hispanic heritage month, Kyle is getting a cover for the latino representation along with Jessica Cruz. Which is weird why they didn't publish one for Kendra.

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post

Looking at the latest Hispanic heritage month, Kyle is getting a cover for the latino representation along with Jessica Cruz. Which is weird why they didn't publish one for Kendra.
    Tambien hay una portada conmemorativa para Kendra.

(What? Five pages of talking about "latinos" and never had one word of spanish spoken? Very bad about you, gringos malos)
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Yes to Kyle Rayner. It's been over 20 years since the heritage bend, so I regard him as Latino myself.... but I have seen it as a point of controversy for people of both Latino and Anglo Saxon decent. Personally he's become my fav Green Lantern, so I would like DC to roll with him in his green Ion suit than switch his heritage back.

Kendra Saunders, yes. My first exposure to her was in Geoff Johns Hawkman, so I had no idea she had ever been retconned in the first place???

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I know this thread is old, but it's been necro'd and...opened my eyes to something.

I never knew of the ethnic history of Hawkgirl, and her various versions. I knew the newer Earth-2 Hawkgirl did not have fair skin, but I never looked into the relevance of that. But even the pre-New 52 version was part Hispanic, which I never knew (although quick research shows it was maybe a controversial retcon?).

I voted only for Kyle, only b/c he was what I knew and "considered" (to use the thread language) to be (partially) Hispanic, since the traditional Hawkgirl was always "white" to me (and yes, I'm aware there are "white" Hispanics. I am one.), so just on sentimental level, I never think of her as Hispanic.
    Last edited by Dr. Cheesesteak; 06-18-2022 at 12:41 PM. Reason: clarity
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

The answer to a fictional character's race is whatever the writer says it is, not just what the creator does btw. We learn new things about characters all the time, this is an 80 year-long soap opera. Characters will evolve and we might find out that someone had a Mexican mother we didn't previously know about or that Hal Jordan (or even Bruce Wayne) is Jewish. How a character appears in skin tone according to the colorist doesn't answer the race question; it is not uncommon for a Latino person to be white-presenting.

Always Rakzo

Jesucristo.

Astonishing Member

With Kendra it's a little tricky because of the whole reincarnation/memory thing. Like what does a version of Kendra who has ALL her memories identify as?

Even if you consider something like the Arrowverse, where Kendra reincarnates into the same body everytime. Even if she looks the same and has the same skin-tone, her original Ancient Egyptian self certainly wouldn't identify as 'hispanic' but her current incarnation might? Well, at least until she remembers who she is...

And when you consider someone like Shayera Hol from the DCAU...well, you might give her a skin tone to match her hispanic voice actress but can you really say that the character is 'hispanic'? She's an alien for Christ's sake! And not even an alien like Superman who was raised on earth with a human identity all his life but someone who legitimately came to earth only as an adult.

Its the same thing with Sasha Calle in the upcoming Flashpoint movie. The actress may identify as Hispanic, but she basically looks white, and she's playing Supergirl. Now saying that Supergirl is now hispanic is absurd, because Supergirl is Kryptonian! I mean, the only way you can remotely claim that Calle's Supergirl is hispanic is if, in this continuity, Kara was adopted by a hispanic family (and even then, Kara wouldn't fully identify as a hispanic the way Clark might identify as a WASP, because Kara didn't spend her formative years believing she was human - hispanic or otherwise).

Extraordinary Member

It's interesting when comes to sasha calle and what she looks like.
    I posted MY views awhile ago what i think she looks like in some other threads.
    When i read certain comments online about this actress some folks think she looks white and some folks think she does not.
    Like i said in another thread she maybe one of those types that could pass for both looks(white and brown).
    It happens.

Sasha calle does not pass for white. Now there are latinos who have for white or brown race look or could go either way but i don't think she is one of them.She maybe almost near white but that's not the same as for passing white.
    Anyway i don't she looks white but she does have very near white look and for certain folks that could be confusing.
    Last edited by mace11; 06-20-2022 at 06:37 PM.

BANNED

Kyle's mother was Irish, his father Mexican American. Considering him "only" a Latino character is as reductionist as saying the same about any character. Most people are the product of various ethnic intermingling, oftentimes without knowing it. Focusing on only one aspect of any person's ethnicity (or any other quality) seems narrow in focus and limiting to the fuller reality of every human being.

Finding out that Kyle was half Mexican was one of the best days of my young comic nerd life. Going from zero representation to having a Latino on the starting lineup of the Justice League was huge.

I do find it odd that a guy who didn’t know he was Latino for the first 25 years or so of his life is now depicted as speaking fluent Spanish, apparently wears a rosary and says prays in Spanish, and now waves the Mexican flag around. Seems really forced, especially the flag.

As for Kendra, yeah I totally view her as Hispanic. But with the Hawks being reincarnated for thousands of years, there’s a good chance they’ve been every ethnicity at one point. So I have no problem with Kendra currently being a Latina or Carter being depicted as black in the Black Adam movie. The Hawks are everything.
    Last edited by Robotman; 06-20-2022 at 03:16 PM.

BANNED

I have some Scots-Irish ancestry. Does Kyle's Irish heritage not matter at all? I'm curious because his father's side seems to have taken precedence over his mother's.

Extraordinary Member

Edited above.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Kyle not being raised in the culture makes it meaningless to me. I'm not some 18th century scientific-racist concerned with genetics.

Kyle's just Kyle, to me, honestly. I feel like they're probably not going to stop drawing him as extremely white passing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Tambien hay una portada conmemorativa para Kendra.

(What? Five pages of talking about "latinos" and never had one word of spanish spoken? Very bad about you, gringos malos)
    Cuando se habla de algo mexicano/latino en un foro en inglés, me gusta decir algo en español. No sé si la gente me entienda, pero me dan like. Aprovecho para decir me ofende que por la forma en que Kyle sujeta la bandera de mi país, los colores y el águila están al revés

I can't talk about Hawkgirl, but I don't consider Kyle a mexican or latino. I haven't read his series yet, but from JLA, GL Rebirth, GLC, New Guardians, Omega Men and HJ&GLC, Omega Men is the only series where I saw him being portayed as a latino, and that always feel ooc for me.

Kyle is totally an american guy for me.
    Last edited by Batgrayson; 06-21-2022 at 09:55 AM.