View Poll Results: Do you consider Kyle and Kendra Hispanic/Latino characters?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

37 39.78%
  • NO

24 25.81%
  • Only Kyle is Latino/Hispanic

9 9.68%
  • Only Kendra is Latino/Hispanic

23 24.73%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

In a world where the cultural identity of characters is often a driving force for a lot of their stories (which is fair... characters of various stripes often have a *lot* going on that's wrapped up in their cultural identities), it's kind of interesting that Kyle Rayner is a Latino-American whose cultural identity has been (Tom King's hamfistedness aside) more of a bit of trivia than a jumping-off point for storytelling. He's just a 20something dude who happens, it turns out, to be half-Mexican. He's not steeped in Mexican or Mexican-American culture and hasn't really shown much of an interest in getting in touch with his Mexican roots. Which weirdly, to me, is kind of cool - sometimes representation is loud and in your face, and sometimes it's just a quiet grace note. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, 'n' all that.

Doesn't matter how I view them, it's how they view themselves. The Caveat is that they need to have some Hispanic in them. It's not like I can say I am Hispanic when I have no Hispanic blood in me.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Doesn't matter how I view them, it's how they view themselves. The Caveat is that they need to have some Hispanic in them. It's not like I can say I am Hispanic when I have no Hispanic blood in me.
    I'd say you could if you were raised in such a household.

Incredible Member

I think it depends on what exactly is considered Hispanic/Latino. More frequent than not, Americans think it equals Mexican tropes which is just really reductionist (and cringe).

If Hispanic/Latino is the race, then I would say Kyle is one, on account of his father being Mexican.

If Hispanic/Latino is the culture, then I would say Kyle is not one, given that he had zero contact with it.

Incredible Member

I consider Kyle Rayner to be Irish-American or Irish. Kendra should remain Hispanic but I have no interest in her. DC doesn't know what to do with her. Same with Kyle. I don't know why did they bring Kendra back.
    Last edited by Veni; 06-22-2022 at 04:40 PM.

Voted "Only Kendra."

Kyle, technically, *is* half Mexican. It's a retcon but it's in the canon, so that's what he is. But I would never consider him as any real representation. He's Mexican the way I'm Scottish; aware of it, and not much more. Kyle's just an American, that's his culture and history, and most of us are mutts to one degree or another.

I'm not 100% sure how Kendra's past and heritage have been treated since the New52. I can't really recall her history or ethnicity being mentioned since the reboot but I have a vague recollection of it being said she was latinx. And I can't recall the details at the moment (haven't read pre-52 Hawkman since it came out) but isn't that consistent with pre-52 as well?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

Kyle is hispanic in the same way Ancestry.com tells your heritage - like sure, it says you're 1/16 Cherokee, but does that mean anything towards your identity / representation / worldview?

Quote Originally Posted by Batgrayson View Post
    Cuando se habla de algo mexicano/latino en un foro en inglés, me gusta decir algo en español. No sé si la gente me entienda, pero me dan like. Aprovecho para decir me ofende que por la forma en que Kyle sujeta la bandera de mi país, los colores y el águila están al revés
    Don't worry. AMLO surely is going to make a diplomatic protest about that. Anyway, it would not be the first time DC misreads the mexican flag. But anyway, it seems more like an artistic choice than a mistake. Maybe the flag is being seen from the other side. Sorry, usually books and images show flags from one side, but not from the other, even if logically they should be seen as in a mirror image.

I can't talk about Hawkgirl, but I don't consider Kyle a mexican or latino. I haven't read his series yet, but from JLA, GL Rebirth, GLC, New Guardians, Omega Men and HJ&GLC, Omega Men is the only series where I saw him being portayed as a latino, and that always feel ooc for me.
    Same. That seemed so odd. I can believe than Kyle was catholic (irish are mostly cathoilics, so that part could be logic), but he had discovered his mexican roots many years later. I mean, he could be curious, but he will not be suddendly an expert spanish speaker. If he would had been praying in gaelic would had more sense, character wise.

Kyle is totally an american guy for me.
    There still are something like "american" anymore? Y lo digo en el sentido gringo. Oh the irony.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I think it depends on what exactly is considered Hispanic/Latino. More frequent than not, Americans think it equals Mexican tropes which is just really reductionist (and cringe).

If Hispanic/Latino is the race, then I would say Kyle is one, on account of his father being Mexican.

If Hispanic/Latino is the culture, then I would say Kyle is not one, given that he had zero contact with it.
    There is no race.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

If we take into account culture, we could argue than Kendra is more egyptian .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post

There is no such thing as a Hispanic/Latino race. The USA only invented that because they count the population based on race in the census. All other countries use ethnicity in the censuses. Central and South America are very diverse because many people from different cultures, races and ethnicities live there. The USA should replace Hispanic/Latino with Central and South American.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    There is no such thing as a Hispanic/Latino race. The USA only invented that because they count the population based on race in the census. All other countries use ethnicity in the censuses. Central and South America are very diverse because many people from different cultures, races and ethnicities live there. The USA should replace Hispanic/Latino with Central and South American.
    Actually, the US counts Hispanics/Latino in a separate category from race where you are also asked about your origin.

The race categories are:
    American Indian/ Alaskan Native
    Asian
    Black/African American
    White (including Europe, Middle East and North Africa)
    Other
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 06-22-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    If we take into account culture, we could argue than Kendra is more egyptian .
    If Kendra remembers her past lives, she’s probably a bit of every ethnicity/culture. The body that her soul is currently occupying is Latina.