Mr. Banjo
    Captain Nazi
    Black Adam
    King Kull
    Sabbac
    Sabbac II
    Ibac
    The Arson Fiend
    I agree with Captain Marvel I think his rogues are actually much better and interesting than he is.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Batman and Spiderman are the only ones with more and cooler villains Flash does.
    I think Spiderman's villains are fine but I never understood why people rank them so highly outside of Goblin and Doc Ock they all seem pretty lame to me (even Kraven and Mysterio and I love those two characters). I think it must have something to do with the characters being featured in various media incarnations and so people accept Rhino, Venom, Electro and Shocker as being cool from a young age. Flash, Fantastic Four, and X-Men all have much more exciting rogues in my opinion. Spidey's rogues always seemed on par with Superman and the Avengers as having some really great villains and a lot of forgettable ones. However Spiderman's rogues do have some pretty great stories about them so maybe I am being a little to negative.

Sorry for going off topic but I am always blown away by the positive attention that Spidey's rogues get.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-04-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Which is why I'm scratching my head as to why Johns is trying to push him so hard.
    Probably for the same reasons they tried to push Jaime Reyes for so long as well - he targets a youth market that associates heavily with being a kid while also being a superhero. Marvel have done it for years with the [animated] Spiderman, and that's gotten them huge returns - they need something to fill that corner of the markey, and Shazam, Jaime and a few others would fill it perfectly (though Young Justice the tv show seemed to have promise in that arena and WB decided to f that over... grumble grumble).

Astonishing Member

Flash is one of those tricky characters. Switching the man in the mask makes it REALLY hard to justify true 'A-list' status... When you say Batman or Superman you just say their name and their secret ID, their friends, their co-stars are all pretty obvious.

You say 'the Flash'? Three people can have three different answers and they all can produce years of comics...

Still, founding member of the Justice League and in all the cartoons and toy lines.... REALLY hard to place him as B-list...

Regardless... I think he has the second best rogues gallery at DC... Third in all comics. Batman and Spiderman are the only ones with more and cooler villains Flash does.
    I havent read marvel in years but I always thought Cap and Daredevil and of course x-men had pretty good villains.

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I think Spiderman's villains are fine but I never understood why people rank them so highly outside of Goblin and Doc Ock they all seem pretty lame to me (even Kraven and Mysterio and I love those two characters). I think it must have something to do with the characters being featured in various media incarnations and so people accept Rhino, Venom, Electro and Shocker as being cool from a young age. Flash, Fantastic Four, and X-Men all have much more exciting rogues in my opinion. Spidey's rogues always seemed on par with Superman and the Avengers as having some really great villains and a lot of forgettable ones. However Spiderman's rogues do have some pretty great stories about them so maybe I am being a little to negative.

Sorry for going off topic but I am always blown away by the positive attention that Spidey's rogues get.
    Media exposure is a big part of it. All villains are kind of lame on one level or another... but there is a difference between. "yeah, I remember a story with that guy" lame... and 'What?? Who is THAT supposed to be?!?" level of lame. Superman tends to fall into that category a lot. Bizzaro, Lex, Metallo, Brainiac... maybe darksied? That's pretty much the only ones with real exposure outside of doomsday of course. FF has what? Doom? He's A-list... after that what? Moleman? Frightful Four? X-men have Magneto... a few other magneto-lights... Spidey?? He's had LOTS of books and cartoons to elevate even the ones like 'the spot' to semi-famous standing.

Doesn't mean they aren't lame... but even most of batman's villains are lame at their core. 'killer clown' 'two personalities...= split face...' not really A-list ideas.... but the exposure makes them more popular then their concept really deserves

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I agree with Captain Marvel I think his rogues are actually much better and interesting than he is.

Electro, Rhino and Shocker has nothing that makes them that interesting. Pretty standard villains without a personality however they do have some muscles and not directly lame in that regard they are better than many other villains.

However Venom does has a personality (unlike for instance Carnage). The same goes for Vulture (old man dying from cancer trying to gain his youth. Is not a brand new concept or something you can use again and again but is good). You have Jackal with the clones, Chameleon Spoiler: with PP's Parents that of cause needed to be Green Goblin who was behind it after all (so much for giving smaller villains some attention). Then you have hobgoblin and Lizard. Spider-man has a good villain list.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 07-08-2014 at 01:46 PM.

Media exposure is a big part of it. All villains are kind of lame on one level or another... but there is a difference between. "yeah, I remember a story with that guy" lame... and 'What?? Who is THAT supposed to be?!?" level of lame. Superman tends to fall into that category a lot. Bizzaro, Lex, Metallo, Brainiac... maybe darksied? That's pretty much the only ones with real exposure outside of doomsday of course. FF has what? Doom? He's A-list... after that what? Moleman? Frightful Four? X-men have Magneto... a few other magneto-lights... Spidey?? He's had LOTS of books and cartoons to elevate even the ones like 'the spot' to semi-famous standing.

Doesn't mean they aren't lame... but even most of batman's villains are lame at their core. 'killer clown' 'two personalities...= split face...' not really A-list ideas.... but the exposure makes them more popular then their concept really deserves
    I totally agree with the idea of media exposure but that usually relates to the hero's popularity and the number of various media presentations they have (animation, film, television) rather than the quality of the villains. I was just in a bad mood in that response, but I think that the Superman Villains you named more than make up for his lesser rogues. The Fantastic Four's villains are much more interesting when you consider the villains beyond Earth (which does includes the Negative Zone Villains and Galactus and other cosmics) but they were either ignored or watered down in the films but presented somewhat well in some of the animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by Tupiaz View Post
    Electro, Rhino and Shocker has nothing that makes them that interesting. Pretty standard villains without a personality however they do have some muscles and not directly lame in that regard they are better than many other villains.

However Venom does has personality (unlike for instance Carnage). The same goes for Vulture (old man dying from cancer trying to gain his youth. Is not a brand new concept or something you can use again and again but is good). You have Jackal with the clones, Chameleon Spoiler: with PP's Parents that of cause needed to be Green Goblin who was behind it after all (so much for giving smaller villains some attention). Then you have hobgoblin and Lizard. Spider-man has a good villain list.
    I admit I was being harsh on Spidey as he does have a great rogues gallery. I was just stating my confusion over the overwhelming love that his rogues have.

Sorry for the derailment.

In my initial response I agreed that Captain Marvel had one of the best group of villains. However if teams are taken into account my all time favourite villains belong to Doom Patrol.

Brain, Monsieur Mallah, The Brotherhood of Evil, Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man, the Brotherhood Of Dada and the Scissormen are some the most bizarre and compelling villains I have ever read about.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-08-2014 at 08:33 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus