Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's simple. He appeals to that part of us that wants to see justice done and can relate to someone going out into their neighborhood/city/whatever and stopping threats with his bare hands. He has no fancy powers, but has an origin story rooted in a relatable tragedy. He throws on dark clothes, finds criminals, and beats the unholy hell out of evil people with his fists. It appeals to our base need to get back and punish the bad guy. Bats also happens to look cool doing it. The well developed rogues gallery, classic detective tropes mixed with some sci-fi, and supporting cast doesn't hurt.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    Batman is popular because he was popular.

It is sort of a self-perpetuating thing. He's popular so he gets the best artists/ writers/ movies/ games. Because of this presence, he becomes more popular.

Plus there's probably sonething to be said about the fact that he has no superpowers and hides in darkness.
    YES...

I know batman for Batman Animated Series... Then I see Batman Beyond, differents batman and Great Characters... Then, my obsession for batman, grew..

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    Wonder why CW Flash is a jobber and moron even after 2 seasons or why Black Canary sucked so much in that universe,it's Batman's fault folks.
    I believe that's called bad writing.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

The best rogue's gallery, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    welcome to the shared universe of dc comics
    Also most of what you are saying is possibly a symptom of his popularity and not what you would say is the reason for it
    Would it help if I said Superman is just as guilty. Look at the Worlds finest from the 50's or the JLA in the 60's Batman says he can't compete with Superman all the time. In one issue he gives a competition everything he has so much so that Lois thinks he'll cheat he's so desperate to win, while Superman hardly tries. At the end of the issue the best Batman can do after pulling out all the stops is tie Superman. In the Justice League he's more powerful than all the members combined. He's also DC's most popular hero by far, while Batman struggles near cancellation at times for decades. Switch it around have Batman always win not to mention have fool proof plans to take out the entire Justice League and no surprise he's on top.

People like winners, just look at all the people you know who don't care about Hockey or Football the the home team wins the Superbowl and everyone's wearing football jerseys or insert whatever sport is on top. All of a sudden they tell you they watch all the games blah blah. People like winners.

Honestly that's how I see it but it's a Batman forum so I'll leave it there.

Edit forgot to add He wasn't the sales juggernaut until he started telling off Superman in Worlds Finest near the end, Kicking Superman around in Dark Knight Returns, Leading the Justice League with an iron fist that everyone is irrationally afraid of. His popularity grew from being on top until his sales were on top and remain there to this day.
    Last edited by Tony; 07-19-2016 at 02:26 PM.

BANNED

Us comic fans may like Batman for many different and complex reasons, but I think most people like him because he looks cool and is dark and brooding and badass and has scary villains. Most people who go to a Batman film don't put as much thought into fictional characters as we do.

I think he is popular because

1. He is one of the most realistic super hero's out there
    2. He has probably the best rouges gallery of any comic book super hero
    3. He is just a cool character