Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 2013 was one of the best years for Spider-Man

I'll try to keep my thesis short and to the point.

The big star of the year was of course the brilliant Superior Spider-Man. With stakes getting higher every issue, Otto coming up with more and more ambitious schemes to proactively destroy crime and truly ruining Peter's personal life, it is such an exciting read (I haven't read this year's issues yet, but this is about 2013.)

Otto was also brilliantly written by many others for annuals, SSM Team-Up, one-shots and the like. One that comes to my mind is the Age of Ultron tie in by Gage, in which Otto goes through some beautiful character growth.

Then we had the adventures of Flash and Kaine in their own books... although both did end. However I'd say they lasted longer than one could have originally expected.

And then the surprise hit of the year. Superior Foes. Hilarious book. I'm sure everyone around here knows how fun it is. "Draw Doom like one of your French girls." 'Nuff said.

As a whole, 2013 is IMO the best year for Spidey. At least I can't specifically name many other great years. Some from the '80s come to my mind.

What are some of your favorite years for Spider-Man?

BANNED

When Larsen was on the book in the 90s. Forget the specific year.

But I enjoyed 2013. And 2010, with stuff like Shed and the Rhino love story and Grim Hunt.

I have to disagree highly. In my opinion it was one of the worst for Spidey. Superior IMO is highly overrated. Foes However I will agree is hilarious. Scarlet Spider however was great and a far better book than superior.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    I have to disagree highly. In my opinion it was one of the worst for Spidey. Superior IMO is highly overrated.
    Yep, pretty much exactly this. Superior was a lame story. 2013 will go down for me as the year I stopped reading new Spider-man comics, again.

I'd have to say 2004 was one of the last great and pure years of Spider-man in comics, what with Marvel Knights Spider-man, the JMS ASM run, and Tangled Web.

I'm very partial to the mid-80's for PAD's Spec, and Spider-man vs Wolverine, and on into say 1988-89 for the best run on Spider-man in comics, that of Michilinie and McFarlane.

BANNED

2013 was a high point for Spider-Man, in my opinion. From the time the mind swap started all the way until the end of Superior, I got nervous upon opening each issue
    because of the stakes, but once I started reading, I was thoroughly engrossed every time. Every issue seemed fast paced with new, unexpected developments and sharp
    character work. I could have followed my initial instinct, pitched a fit, and dropped the title, but thankfully common sense set in and I realized it wasn't something to waste
    my time being angry about. History told me that nothing is permanent in the MU, so I knew it would likely be a very long arc and nothing more. I'm so glad I didn't allow
    childish emotions to deny myself of this awesome story. The only way for Ock to truly be a changed man was by voluntarily giving Peter's life back, which he eventually did.
    So Ock learned something after all, and how awesome is that for somebody so selfish? Loved Superior Foes too, and the other Spider-books were solid. Great year.

Fantastic Member

2013 was the best year in a long time, especially considering recent years haven't been too great but 2014 is the best year by far, at least since I've been reading comics for 10 odd years.

New movie, stern omnibus, some other good trades, spectacular on bluesy, an ogn, the finale of the fantasticly good Superior, the return of Peter in one of the biggest selling comics ever AND the year is only half way through. Has there ever been a year better than this one?

The series has been strong since 2011, barring a couple of missteps like Alpha.

BANNED

Well, the book was certainly financially successful, sitting in the top 10 for many months and restoring the book to the numbers it had pre-OMD/ BND. And it got a lot of critical acclaim from both readers' and reviewers alike.

As for one of the best years? I say wait and see. The thing that I find with Slott's work is that while his stuff tends to be acclaimed when it comes out, upon later review it doesn't hold up to the same praise it once had. So, I think there needs to be some distance from SSM to truly get an accurate picture of how it stands up as a story. It may be still well praised, but not regarded as the new golden age that it was made out to be during the run.

One advantage for 2013 is that it started strong with Superior Spider-Man #1.

Previous years often had mixed quality because of a change in creative teams.

So 2001 had the prime of Paul Jenkins's Peter Parker Spider-Man, JMS and Romita Jr's Morlun arc, the best Ultimate Spider-Man storyline (Learning Curve) and some good self-contained comics with Tangled Web. But it was dragged down a bit by the final issues of Mackie's Amazing Spider-Man as well as a convoluted Mysterio mini-series.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One advantage for 2013 is that it started strong with Superior Spider-Man #1.

Previous years often had mixed quality because of a change in creative teams.

So 2001 had the prime of Paul Jenkins's Peter Parker Spider-Man, JMS and Romita Jr's Morlun arc, the best Ultimate Spider-Man storyline (Learning Curve) and some good self-contained comics with Tangled Web. But it was dragged down a bit by the final issues of Mackie's Amazing Spider-Man as well as a convoluted Mysterio mini-series.
    But, again, we should really wait until later to see how "strong" of a start that is. As I stated before, the thing with Slott's writing is that upon later revision, it doesn't seem to hold up quite as well.

Strong sales does not equal strong writing. And while many might acknowledge the sales success of the work, it doesn't mean that it has the same critical acclaim it once did.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I don't really have a favourite year, but 2012 was the last year that I fully enjoyed, I'm not including 2014 as the year is not yet over.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    But, again, we should really wait until later to see how "strong" of a start that is. As I stated before, the thing with Slott's writing is that upon later revision, it doesn't seem to hold up quite as well.

Strong sales does not equal strong writing. And while many might acknowledge the sales success of the work, it doesn't mean that it has the same critical acclaim it once did.
    Your favorite year will be subjective. I know there are some fans who hated Bendis and JMS when they were starting out on Spider-Man. For all I know, they still hold that position. So for them, 2001 was likely not a good year.

Clone Saga fans might pick a different year. 2013 would still have the advantage of consistency.

Some people might not enjoy Superior five years from now. Although I suspect it'll have staying power for a majority of readers, because it's fun to have the familiar trappings of Spider-Man with a different strong personality as the lead, and the ending was satisfying enough not to retroactively ruin what came before.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I don't really have a favourite year, but 2012 was the last year that I fully enjoyed, I'm not including 2014 as the year is not yet over.
    2012 had, at least, Spider-Men. Can't recommend anything from 2013.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Your favorite year will be subjective. I know there are some fans who hated Bendis and JMS when they were starting out on Spider-Man. For all I know, they still hold that position. So for them, 2001 was likely not a good year.

Clone Saga fans might pick a different year. 2013 would still have the advantage of consistency.

Some people might not enjoy Superior five years from now. Although I suspect it'll have staying power for a majority of readers, because it's fun to have the familiar trappings of Spider-Man with a different strong personality as the lead, and the ending was satisfying enough not to retroactively ruin what came before.
    Except there are people who find the ending very unsatisfactory. That it was rushed and undermined a lot of tension that was built up, solving a lot of problems that could have arisen from the situation with Ock's bodyswap. In addition, many have problems with how the swap was resolved, with Otto simply handing Peter's body back to him, and Peter not getting a chance to fight to regain control of his body and punish Otto for what he did. In addition, a lot of the characterizations of the characters- particularly MJ and Felicia- have been criticized.

That's why I think there needs to be some distance. Part of the problem with evaluating a story while it's being told is that it is too easy to judge the individual parts not simply on the story that is told, but the story that one thinks is being told. That they feel it is setting up a greater climax than it already is. With the story now in it's entirety, it's easier to judge the whole thing on what it was and not what one thinks it could have been. Much how the stories of Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth have been reevaluated, and judged to be not as incredible as they were made out to be during their initial run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Except there are people who find the ending very unsatisfactory. That it was rushed and undermined a lot of tension that was built up, solving a lot of problems that could have arisen from the situation with Ock's bodyswap. In addition, many have problems with how the swap was resolved, with Otto simply handing Peter's body back to him, and Peter not getting a chance to fight to regain control of his body and punish Otto for what he did. In addition, a lot of the characterizations of the characters- particularly MJ and Felicia- have been criticized.

That's why I think there needs to be some distance. Part of the problem with evaluating a story while it's being told is that it is too easy to judge the individual parts not simply on the story that is told, but the story that one thinks is being told. That they feel it is setting up a greater climax than it already is. With the story now in it's entirety, it's easier to judge the whole thing on what it was and not what one thinks it could have been. Much how the stories of Spider-Island and Ends of the Earth have been reevaluated, and judged to be not as incredible as they were made out to be during their initial run.
    You know, the best barometer should be whatever you experience while reading the book. Who cares what people say about a story in the future? Each of us are reading
    these stories for personal satisfaction, which is what takes place at the time of reading. You seem more concerned about a consensus than enjoying a story. When you hear
    a song you like, do you immediately start wondering if you might not like it later, or change your opinion because other people don't like it? That's the line of thinking I see
    from many comic readers. They have to wait for group consensus about everything.