Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Thomas View Post
    You know, the best barometer should be whatever you experience while reading the book. Who cares what people say about a story in the future? Each of us are reading these stories for personal satisfaction, which is what takes place at the time of reading. You seem more concerned about a consensus than enjoying a story. When you hear a song you like, do you immediately start wondering if you might not like it later, or change your opinion because other people don't like it? That's the line of thinking I see from many comic readers. They have to wait for group consensus about everything.
    Except those same people who are reading the book for their own personal satisfaction are the same ones coming out later and saying it wasn't good the second time around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Except those same people who are reading the book for their own personal satisfaction are the same ones coming out later and saying it wasn't good the second time around.
    Nothing is as good the second time. The new is gone. That's life.

BANNED

Nothing is as good the second time. The new is gone. That's life.
    Which is why I pointed out that once the newness of the story wears off, the acclaim it previously had seems to diminish.

Good stories hold up over time, or get better with age. They don't diminish with later visitation.

You know, the best barometer should be whatever you experience while reading the book. Who cares what people say about a story in the future? Each of us are reading
    these stories for personal satisfaction, which is what takes place at the time of reading. You seem more concerned about a consensus than enjoying a story. When you hear
    a song you like, do you immediately start wondering if you might not like it later, or change your opinion because other people don't like it? That's the line of thinking I see
    from many comic readers. They have to wait for group consensus about everything.
    What about those that didn't enjoy Superior?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    What about those that didn't enjoy Superior?
    Not gonna please everyone. It happens.

Which is why I pointed out that once the newness of the story wears off, the acclaim it previously had seems to diminish.

Good stories hold up over time, or get better with age. They don't diminish with later visitation.
    Gotta agree here. The ultimate test of the story isn't from when you're looking at it at its release but when you look back on it. When something is released there's the hype surrounding it and with it comes the bias. But when that hype has died down, the question is looking back at it and questioning if it was truly as good as it seemed at the time. There are things that seem good at the time but looking at it later it turns out it's not as good as you remember but things that are truly iconic continue to hold up even years later.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Gotta agree here. The ultimate test of the story isn't from when you're looking at it at its release but when you look back on it. When something is released there's the hype surrounding it and with it comes the bias. But when that hype has died down, the question is looking back at it and questioning if it was truly as good as it seemed at the time. There are things that seem good at the time but looking at it later it turns out it's not as good as you remember but things that are truly iconic continue to hold up even years later.
    And the thing of it is- Superior just might be one of those stories that holds up for people.

It's just that, from what I've seen from a lot of sources including people who love the book, is that Slott's stuff tends not to hold up or is not as good as once claimed once it is revisited.

And the thing of it is- Superior just might be one of those stories that holds up for people.

It's just that, from what I've seen from a lot of sources including people who love the book, is that Slott's stuff tends not to hold up or is not as good as once claimed once it is revisited.
    You know I started rereading Superior just to see if it lost luster, it didn't.
    It still stands as one of those stories were you just don't know what happens next from the Spider-Man aspect.
    And it also occured to me we have no idea what happened with Captain Watanabe Such a big plot line that got dropped

Fantastic Member

The finale of Superior was quite disappointing, a fizzle if ever there was one while the clone sagas finale was one of the best issues ever written. I enjoyed both sagas, but superior is the winner imo because it's more consistent and was better planned

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    The series has been strong since 2011, barring a couple of missteps like Alpha.
    Very much agreed.

BANNED

I read Slott's She Hulk for the first time a couple of years ago before I ever began frequenting CBR, and had no idea that it was highly regarded. I just ended up with a couple of
    issues and finally read them when I was very low on material to read, and wasn't expecting much. After I read the first one and laughed out loud several times, I had to get the rest
    of the run, and it's one of the most rewarding purchases I've made. I know that if I read it again, I won't get the same reaction, but I'll still enjoy it just fine because nobody ever
    talks about it. There aren't always people pointing out what they consider faults, so my perception can't be subconsciously influenced in a negative way. But on this board, half the
    people at any given time have a gripe with what is happening in the book, so if you spend much time here at all, you can't help but have your views challenged. Whether you can admit
    it to yourself or not, it does affect how you see these stories. Slott made a lot of people mad, and they come on these boards to take shots whenever they can by tearing down his work.
    I would honestly feel better about a review from a casual reader than from anybody who's spent a bunch of time on message boards and had the experience jaded.

What's your sample for this? I've noticed many of my own sources seem to hold Slott in high esteem; his stories holding up quite well with age and revisitation.
    Last edited by DT Winslow; 06-30-2014 at 06:21 AM.

BANNED

Where do we fit, those who didn't think Slott was good, the first time around?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    Where do we fit, those who didn't think Slott was good, the first time around?
    I suppose in the same camp as those who didn't like any other creator's run the first time around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    I suppose in the same camp as those who didn't like any other creator's run the first time around.
    I was asking in regard to the dichotomy that was being stablished.