Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I have to add Lobo to the list, man. He's annoying and boring. Only time i liked him was on American Alien.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I also dont get the love for Jason Todd. As a villain, I like him. When he first came back from the dead and was trying to kill Bruce as well as every criminal in Gotham I was a fan. Since he made up with the Bat-Clan I have been less than impressed, and I honestly think Bruce letting him back into the fold with his body count is pretty hypocritical. As long as Jason is welcome in the Cave on any level I never want to hear Bruce talk about a no kill policy again.
    Even as a Jason fan, I could see why some doesn't likes him based on how he is written in the Batman events. His return to the Batfamily as side note in a bigger event without much coordination with his own title was imo poorly handled and and in later events he was often poorly written.

Blackmask.

David Cain.

Ronnie Raymond.

Ray Palmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Never got the appeal of Steph Brown. Or Hal Jordan for that matter. Ive read some good stories with both but as characters? I find them extremely uninteresting.

I also dont get the love for Jason Todd. As a villain, I like him. When he first came back from the dead and was trying to kill Bruce as well as every criminal in Gotham I was a fan. Since he made up with the Bat-Clan I have been less than impressed, and I honestly think Bruce letting him back into the fold with his body count is pretty hypocritical. As long as Jason is welcome in the Cave on any level I never want to hear Bruce talk about a no kill policy again.

Donna Troy, Garth, Raven, Beast Boy....honestly most of the old school Titans not named Dick Grayson, Roy Harper, Vic Stone, or Wally West.
    Bruce continued to work with Selina and Diana even after they killed.

Misfit, but I admit that's a bit of a stretch since she hasn't really had a following for years.

Nu52 Alan Scott. Take away the character's sense of history, and what's left? Zilch. And no, sorry, making him part of one more tragic gay love story doesn't give him depth, it's just fucking boring. Though again, I don't feel like this version of the character has that many fans to start with.

Team DD +++ BuckyNat Master Man's Avatar

Harper Row.

Currently reading:
    - Gangsta.
    - Gangsta. Cursed
    - Tokyo Ghoul:re

Booster Gold
    Lobo

Just don't get either of them.

Sandy Hausler

Quote Originally Posted by trudreck View Post
    MARTIAN MANHUNTER - what if superman had LESS personality ?
    Hilarious!! And I loved MM's last series...

Sinestro. He's just another manipulative bad guy. What's the appeal?

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    I will be expelled from the forum, but... Superman.
    I really applaud the work of the creative team to try and make character interesting. He is not just all-powerful, but also de paragon of moral and correctness. You can not even outwit him. Mxyzptlk and Luthor are prove of that. What can be a challenge for a being like that? Likewise, I am half-tempted to try some of the new Justice League, to see what kind of challenge can take more than 30 minutes of the time of a group with Superman and TWO Green Lanterns. Yes, I've read some stories of him that pulled the trick in an amazing way, tales both engaging and creative. But the character just does not grown on me, is not my cup of tea.
    I know this is odd coming from someone who is enjoying the current Wonder Woman book, a character that is up there with him in terms of raw power, but she is not the quintessencial goody two-shoes.
    I don't mean it in a bad way, just... not my personal preference. I'd apreciate suggestions of stories that can change my view. "Red Son" and Alex Ross "Peace on Earth" showed me that there can be more depth on the character. What else can I read?
    Try "For the Man Who Has Everything" by Alan Moore. That's a classic Superman tale that delves into his psyche (literally). Not every character is for everyone. So I applaud your willingness to try out some stories for a character that doesn't really resonate with you.

For me, here are the ones that I don't like or get why they're fan favorites.

Damian Wayne- So start off with the Robin concept, which I never liked, and then add in arrogant, annoying and healthy does of Mary Sue. Ugh.
    Aquaman- No matter how hard DC or anyone else tries to tell me he's actually pretty cool, I just don't buy it. He may actually have the lamest power in comics, talking to fish. Wait, there is Ant-Man over in Marvel. Ok, second lamest.
    Cassandra Cain- An action movie on mute. Not an interesting action movie either but one of those cheesy ones from the 80's where everyone is a ninja for some reason.

Incredible Member

Damian Wayne - not a horrible character but I don't get the constant love for him.
    Harley Quinn - less would be more. A lot less
    Deathstroke - and Punisher, for that matter.
    John Constantine
    Swamp Thing
    Barry Allen Flask
    Hal Jordan GL - prefer John Stewart
    Guy Gardner - see above

She's pretty much been phased out now, but I never quite understood the Starling hype that existed at the outset of The New 52. She wasn't a bad character by any means, but she wasn't all that unique, either. Characters like Katana, Lady Blackhawk, and Manhunter fill more or less the same niche, and the latter two were completely squandered with the reboot. The only one who's still around now is Katana, too. Talk about a waste.

I've also never liked Terry McGinnis, or really even the concept of Batman Beyond in general. I'm not a Batman fan, but I honestly always found it kind of insulting to the mythos, and a lot of the things they did to the Batman family of characters to facilitate that future bothered me.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schrecken View Post
    Add myself to the list as someone who doesn't get the huge appeal of Harley Quinn. She was entertaining enough in the cartoon and was a nice addition to the cast and for the Joker as someone for him to interact with in a unique way, but at this point it seems almost as if she is more popular than the Joker himself. I understand why people would like the character, but I just don't get why there is such a rabid fan base for the character. Of the female batman villains, I have always found either Catwoman or Poison Ivy far cooler and more interesting.
    Agreed. I think it's mostly a superficial obsession with a nihilistic post-modern aesthetic. Pure comedy and unapolagetic obnoxiousness any slightly nerdy girl (or guy) can project onto. There is and can be more to the character, but the masses don't care. Screw the heroes, let's all indulge our inner child and run with the inconsequential prankster.

Sad to see the hate for Donna Hmm I don't find Roy Harper interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Misfit, but I admit that's a bit of a stretch since she hasn't really had a following for years.

Nu52 Alan Scott. Take away the character's sense of history, and what's left? Zilch. And no, sorry, making him part of one more tragic gay love story doesn't give him depth, it's just fucking boring. Though again, I don't feel like this version of the character has that many fans to start with.
    Also agreed.

Spectacular Member

Steel
    Shazam
    Lobo
    Booster Gold

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Deathstroke isn't too hard to figure out. He's the villain Batman. The ultimate tactician and fighter with mostly human capabilities and a baddass aesthetic. Plus a cool backstory and meaningful connection with the Teen Titans.

Hawkman is a regal brolic stoic with ancient & alien roots. What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    I will be expelled from the forum, but... Superman.
    I really applaud the work of the creative team to try and make character interesting. He is not just all-powerful, but also de paragon of moral and correctness. You can not even outwit him. Mxyzptlk and Luthor are prove of that. What can be a challenge for a being like that? Likewise, I am half-tempted to try some of the new Justice League, to see what kind of challenge can take more than 30 minutes of the time of a group with Superman and TWO Green Lanterns. Yes, I've read some stories of him that pulled the trick in an amazing way, tales both engaging and creative. But the character just does not grown on me, is not my cup of tea.
    I know this is odd coming from someone who is enjoying the current Wonder Woman book, a character that is up there with him in terms of raw power, but she is not the quintessencial goody two-shoes.
    I don't mean it in a bad way, just... not my personal preference. I'd apreciate suggestions of stories that can change my view. "Red Son" and Alex Ross "Peace on Earth" showed me that there can be more depth on the character. What else can I read?
    You're on the right path. It's easy to get stuck on how many powers he has, but once you're there, ask yourself about the less obvious problems; what choices do you make when you can do almost anything? What choices do you deserve to make? How does that affect your relationships with humans and other superhumans?

That's why you can put Superman in a ton of different contexts and make a good story. Red Son and Peace On Earth are two of my favorite stories period, but they aren't "making" the character more interesting; that IS the character. Red Son examines the dangers of benevolent dictatorship, and PoE examines the human societal constraints placed on an all powerful & pure good guy. Birthright, Kingdom Come, Confidential, For Tomorrow, on and on depict the richness of Superman's character.

Not to mention his expansive world. The Legion of Superheroes, Kandor, Metropolis & the Daily Planet, Braniac, Luthor, Darkseid. He's just awesome. Climb aboard the wagon!