Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I saw it last night and enjoyed it. I have to agree, the trailers didn't do it any favors. I was very much turned off by Into Darkness and the trailer made this movie seem just as bad, but it was completely different.

Spectacular Member

Into Darkness was better in my opinion. I thought Krall's motivations for dissolving the Federation were fairly weak and I don't recall the movie ever explaining anything about the reptilian race or how he amassed such an army.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyflute View Post
    Into Darkness was better in my opinion.
    I HATED that movie. It was a convoluted mess the plot of which made no sense whatsoever.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sneakyflute View Post
    Into Darkness was better in my opinion. I thought Krall's motivations for dissolving the Federation were fairly weak and I don't recall the movie ever explaining anything about the reptilian race or how he amassed such an army.
    spoilers:
    It wasn't overly explained well but they were clearly meant to be the rest of the Kelvin's crew from a hundred years back via the life draining process, not that it was overly explained how that worked or how they knew about the killing device thingie. I would expect that IDW will do another Villain Mini Series explaining their back story as they did with Nero and Kahn before.
    end of spoilers

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    spoilers:
    It wasn't overly explained well but they were clearly meant to be the rest of the Kelvin's crew from a hundred years back via the life draining process, not that it was overly explained how that worked or how they knew about the killing device thingie. I would expect that IDW will do another Villain Mini Series explaining their back story as they did with Nero and Kahn before.
    end of spoilers

I don't know how to use spoilers so spoiler alert.

I know his subordinates were members of the starship crew. I just wish they had elaborated on where and how they encountered this reptilian species. Someone on another forum said that all those guys in armor were drones but I don't recall the movie ever revealing that either. I was under the impression that they were reptilian soldiers in assault gear.</SPOILER>
    Last edited by sneakyflute; 07-31-2016 at 04:16 PM.

On this site you type SPOIL in between the brackets. Only SPOIL. And the /SPOIL at the end, of course.

As opposed to other sites where you use the full word of SPOILER or SPOILERS.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Astonishing Member

Yea where the hell did all those people come from? Were they natives to that planet?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yea where the hell did all those people come from? Were they natives to that planet?
    People were trying to cross the Nebula.

But yeah the armor guys were the drone workforce the captioan mentioned in the logs.
    If they were Humanoids they would not of blown up when faced with the awesomeness of the Beastie Boys (whose busting mad rhymes at an 80% success rate still quilies it as "ill" well into the 31st Century)

So far this is my favorite movie of the year and this coming from someone who didn't like the first two. I hope it does well and we can see more.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Ah, no offense, but that's not what happened. I've watched the movie twice and referenced Memory-Alpha for confirmation, so here goes.

spoilers:
    The Franklin (not Kelvin)'s crew slowly died on the planet, but not because of the life draining process, but simply because of the planet itself. Rather, according to the logs that Uhura and Kirk find near the end of the movie, the vast majority of the crew was killed in the crash. In his final log, the crew was left to just three: Edison and two subordinates. Edison became Krall, but the two subordinates became Manas, who was Jaylah's nemesis, and Kalara, the one who lured the Enterprise into the trap.

In the final log, a still-human Edison states that they *then* found the highly advanced technology left behind by the indigenous race, who had since left the planet long ago. Edison specifically mentioned the drone workforce, which comprised his robot army, and the Swarm ships that were meant for mining (it's not explained, but this is perhaps why no Swarm ship had its own weapons, merely ramming into things). It's inferred that the energy-draining device and the Abronath were also part of this technology.

Part of the point of Jaylah's introductory fight (where she rescued Scotty) was to show that other crews and aliens also fell victim to the incredibly dense nebula (Enterprise was sophisticated enough to navigate it) and crashed on the planet, so that there were a variety of scattered scavengers on the planet. But this is important because it implies that Edison and Co. had found enough scavengers to keep them alive this whole time, and that they found and absorbed Reptilian-type aliens, becoming part-Reptilian in the process. His crew died first, then he found the life-absorbing tech, and then he started draining other aliens' energy.

Also, Jaylah making the Franklin her "home" was an important parallel to Edison. Edison had 100 years to learn the indigenous technology, which made him super-powerful. Jaylah, on the other hand, learned English, Earth music, and Starfleet technology from the Franklin. Edison harbored a longtime grudge against the Federation for what he thought was them putting him out to pasture and purposely not rescuing them, while Jaylah harbored a longtime grudge against the planet and Krall for ruining her life. So their backstories match up, with Jaylah being the good side and Krall as the evil side, both of whom had to appropriate foreign technology to survive. And since they learned by themselves, they knew how to use the tech but not how it worked. This is why Jaylah needed Scotty's help with the Franklin, and possibly why Krall never really goes into how the life-draining weapon or the Abronath truly work -- it's like knowing how to fire a gun but not knowing that a bullet needs gunpowder.

I hope that explains it, but a lot of the information came from Edison's own logs towards the end of the movie.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Cyke; 08-01-2016 at 12:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Thanks, you explained things a lot better than the film did there, for me at least. Also left behind technology involving drones and machines... hmmmmm...

Extraordinary Member

Thanks, you explained things a lot better than the film did there, for me at least. Also left behind technology involving drones and machines... hmmmmm...
    No it's not them.

Spectacular Member

I thought it was good. I mean I love star trek but rarely is it GREAT. Typical Trek movie. I can sort of see why it isnt doing gangbusters hell nothing is this summer. I think they have a good core here. Not a huge fan of the villain in this. Other than that solid film.
    Yeah I thought it was good,not great. I feel like the villian started out good but then took a nose dive to suckville. The revenge against the federation bit has really run its course at this point. The core crew is really good but the story around them is blah and really boring. I would have liked to see the crew loose there ship and be all on there own without starfleet period.

Spectacular Member

Yeah I wonder that too, how did he amass such a force?

Thanks, you explained things a lot better than the film did there, for me at least.
    I didn't have any trouble understanding it when I watched it.