8 38.10%
  • a bad comic

1 4.76%
  • a horrible comic

0 0%
  • I can't decide

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hellblazer Rebirth #1 Issue Discussion (Spoilers)

Beware of braking this magic line for fear of hidden demons rearing their ugly heads to play with you outside the protective magic circle…

Okay.

The standard cover with the skull forming puff of smoke is alright but the variant cover with flame and DC logo flooring is atrocious. Cover art means something for a first issue in particular.

They sure used a lot of small skulls and Stars of David to censor profanity. After the three times I started wondering why they didn't just make this a mature comic rather than a teen book as they would have been able to portray things as they obviously wanted in story and dialogue...

I went from liking the art (particularly the blue colors in the flashback) to absolutely hating it in NYC's depiction and onwards. My opinion kept going up and down throughout the issue finally settling in on DISDAIN The only art I liked occurred during the discussion of Astrid's soul with her destination printed in the demon's mouth.

I was surprised by the appearance of Shazam, Wonder Woman, and Swamp Thing. But again, the art really bugged me. It's more annoying than Dr. Strange comics in a way.

In the end, I thought the story was okay for a one off and introduction to the character. That makes me desire to check out the next issue just to see if the writer builds a story with some more depth. But it is serious make or break with me. With so much else on the rack, as much as I have liked Constantine in the past, they really have to up their game in art and story for me to buy this comic regularly.

It made me miss Justice League Dark.

I hope some of you like it and I'd love to know your thoughts about it all.

I decided to add a poll to the thread. Votes from readers appreciated.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Just read it, and though it enjoyable. There's a contender for the best line in comics this month, when Constantine says something about a failed meat salesman and how strange things are becoming, even for him.
    I enjoyed the art, blending high-detailed spots with characters that are almost cartoony - perhaps Shazan and Wonder Woman simple drawing are a match for their simplier way of seeing things, in comparation to John Constantine?
    All in all, a good demonstration of Constantine wit. Will I pick up the following issue? Not sure, but I feel there's some indeniable charm on Hellblazer

Quote Originally Posted by FlictsLantern View Post
    Just read it, and though it enjoyable. There's a contender for the best line in comics this month, when Constantine says something about a failed meat salesman and how strange things are becoming, even for him.
    I enjoyed the art, blending high-detailed spots with characters that are almost cartoony - perhaps Shazan and Wonder Woman simple drawing are a match for their simplier way of seeing things, in comparation to John Constantine?
    All in all, a good demonstration of Constantine wit. Will I pick up the following issue? Not sure, but I feel there's some indeniable charm on Hellblazer
    Pet peeve of mine. When a writer goes to insulting their political candidate to hate of the moment. To each their own though.
    My Monthly Pulls - DC: Waiting for Deathstroke and Vigilante. Marvel: Moon Knight. The Vision, Waiting for Solo. Valiant: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak, Divinity III Stalinverse, Bloodshot USA event, Waiting for PSI Lords. Why aren't you reading Valiant and other Indies too?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I would like to see more Wonder Woman in this book.

Always Rakzo

Thought this was... okay.

I found pretty ironic that from all of the Rebirth issues, this is the one with the less recap and is ironic because Constantine is not exactly a well-known character so bringing a bit of info about him would have been appropriate for people who want to know about him. This is not exactly new reader friendly.

It also seems that this is trying to integrate John into the DCU just like the New 52 series but I'm tired of the derivative idea that "everyone hates Constantine", I mean, yeah, he's not easy to get along with but he's not that despicable. Plus, the way how John saves the day is a bit too easy, even more than the solutions from the DC You series and that book presented a downright dumb John.

Moritat's art is not the best here, is a bit too cartoony for its own good but the style can be fitting at times.

Hope this gets better in future issue because right now is not impressive.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't have a problem with the art at all, I actually liked it. The story was a bit thin but over all it was decent enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Thought this was... okay.

I found pretty ironic that from all of the Rebirth issues, this is the one with the less recap and is ironic because Constantine is not exactly a well-known character so bringing a bit of info about him would have been appropriate for people who want to know about him. This is not exactly new reader friendly.

It also seems that this is trying to integrate John into the DCU just like the New 52 series but I'm tired of the derivative idea that "everyone hates Constantine", I mean, yeah, he's not easy to get along with but he's not that despicable. Plus, the way how John saves the day is a bit too easy, even more than the solutions from the DC You series and that book presented a downright dumb John.

Moritat's art is not the best here, is a bit too cartoony for its own good but the style can be fitting at times.

Hope this gets better in future issue because right now is not impressive.
    In truth I was reminded of the first episode of the TV series and looked at the comic book plot as a trimmed down version of the TV series pilot set in London. I wanted to write streamlined solution or forgive me, shallow, rather than dumb.
    Last edited by Inhuman X; 07-20-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Not really related to this issue, but I always thought that Constantine would be a bit more low key character, keeping to himself and not getting involved in some big spectacles. But DC seams to be going with "if you need some magician in your story then it should be Constantine and he should act like a jerk" approach which I find rather sad.

I thought this was a pretty good comic. I'm a long-time Hellblazer reader, and this was comfort food with some familiar beats. Traditional stomping grounds, familiar cast, usual problems. Even the political commentary is familiar territory; as far back as the DeLano issues, we got bits equating a night of spotlight on the UK conservative party to demonic torture and Ennis was even less subtle, so the barely-veiled Trump commentary feels like Oliver sticking with the return-to-basics theme. And I've been a fan of Moritat's art for years, so no problem there.

As a Rebirth issue, though, I'm not sure how well it works. This isn't John at his worst by any means, but he's enough of a shit here that I'm not sure how motivated I'd be to pick up the next issue if I wasn't already a fan. And I'd have liked a bit more of a transition from the Tynion/Doyle/Rossmo run, even if it was just John's idiot short-term boyfriend getting a name drop in the list of souls currently residing in hell thanks to a brush with him. I don't think the WW and Shazam guest appearances were necessary, and were more jarring than anything else. They don't fit into the story, and I agree that the level of disgust they seem to have for John would only be warranted if they knew more about him than he'd ever tell the bright-and-shiny hero squad. If it was necessary to let the audience know that 1) John doesn't have a lot of cred with the superhero community or 2) explain why no heroes were showing up to help, that's just as easily handled with a line or two of dialogue. When you've only got 20 pages to work with, put them to best use.

It was an all right read overall and I'll probably pick up the next one, but I'm not sure this approach is going to keep readers any more than the last two did.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 07-21-2016 at 03:03 AM.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't have a problem with the art at all, I actually liked it. The story was a bit thin but over all it was decent enough.

I actually really liked the story, and I agree with you completely. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Moritat's art. Then again, I've always liked Moritat's art. I'll be sticking around. The last volume was good, but I like the more serious tone this book seems to be taking.

Plus.....SWAMP THING!

Astonishing Member

This delivered two things that have been terribly missing from Constantine for a long time; a verifiably brit cadence, and an overtly political tract.

Nicely done.

Incredible Member

Previews looked terribly unexciting. Art is not a good match.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 07-21-2016 at 01:22 PM.

I liked the overall story (and thought it felt suitably Hellblazer-y), but I could have done without the big name cameos. And as others have said, the stars as stand-ins for swearing are obnoxious - if they can't make it a mature readers book (which I don't understand, but hey), surely they could at least find a more clever way to represent the language? Was still entertained over all though, so I'm not complaining much.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I thought this was a pretty good comic. I'm a long-time Hellblazer reader, and this was comfort food with some familiar beats. Traditional stomping grounds, familiar cast, usual problems. Even the political commentary is familiar territory; as far back as the DeLano issues, we got bits equating a night of spotlight on the UK conservative party to demonic torture and Ennis was even less subtle, so the barely-veiled Trump commentary feels like Oliver sticking with the return-to-basics theme. And I've been a fan of Moritat's art for years, so no problem there.

As a Rebirth issue, though, I'm not sure how well it works. This isn't John at his worst by any means, but he's enough of a shit here that I'm not sure how motivated I'd be to pick up the next issue if I wasn't already a fan. And I'd have liked a bit more of a transition from the Tynion/Doyle/Rossmo run, even if it was just John's idiot short-term boyfriend getting a name drop in the list of souls currently residing in hell thanks to a brush with him. I don't think the WW and Shazam guest appearances were necessary, and were more jarring than anything else. They don't fit into the story, and I agree that the level of disgust they seem to have for John would only be warranted if they knew more about him than he'd ever tell the bright-and-shiny hero squad. If it was necessary to let the audience know that 1) John doesn't have a lot of cred with the superhero community or 2) explain why no heroes were showing up to help, that's just as easily handled with a line or two of dialogue. When you've only got 20 pages to work with, put them to best use.

It was an all right read overall and I'll probably pick up the next one, but I'm not sure this approach is going to keep readers any more than the last two did.
    I don't know if it sells well over in the UK, but I actually think Constantine works better when the political commentary focuses on UK and EU issues rather than even trying to approach those of the United States. From an American reader's perspective it even adds to the charm of the comic in escaping to another part of the world and seeing things through a differing lens. As soon as it touches US interests in such manner I feel my hackles rise.

I argued about how heavily they should touch on previous runs and decided there was no good answer. I am looking at Rebirth #1 issues as an easy place to pick up and follow the comic into the future without already knowing all the convoluted backstory mess DC (and in cases of other comics their publishers) have made over the years. While you want to toss older fans a bone you can't alienate the new readers you hope to attract.

Yeah, I get what you are saying on the guest appearances. However, I would go a step further and contend that perhaps Constantine as a solo hero works best on the fringes and not involved in the antics of other superhero continuity at the moment. A more self contained title could serve him well without worrying about the rest of DC so much. Am I right in that? I am not saying no to the occasional guest or crossover just...

I find the poll results interesting. I am glad to see some people do really like it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    This delivered two things that have been terribly missing from Constantine for a long time; a verifiably brit cadence, and an overtly political tract.

Nicely done.
    What was this? The reference to Trump? Or was there something else? I guess you could say Laughing Boy banning John from London is like immigration politics, but that's a stretch.