Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Same reason I like the old slasher films like Friday the 13th and Halloween. The teenagers are just there to be victims. You don't have to like most of them or be interested in most of them. There are usually just one or maybe two who are interesting.

In other words, I watch it for the horror and for El. Also for the Hopper-Russia story, also.
    But the teens in this show aren't just there to be victims. They actively drive the plot, emotional beats and are integral to the story being told. Not sure how you can enjoy the show but not the majority of main characters?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    But the teens in this show aren't just there to be victims. They actively drive the plot, emotional beats and are integral to the story being told. Not sure how you can enjoy the show but not the majority of main characters?
    Come on, there is a ton to love about this show plain and simple. I have my favorite characters, and ones I am indifferent to, like I am sure everyone does.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Come on, there is a ton to love about this show plain and simple. I have my favorite characters, and ones I am indifferent to, like I am sure everyone does.
    Oh for sure! It's juts that your initial comment basically said you disliked over half the cast. So that's a bit different than not liking 1 or 2 characters but enjoying the rest. That's why it just sounded a bit weird to me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    Oh for sure! It's juts that your initial comment basically said you disliked over half the cast. So that's a bit different than not liking 1 or 2 characters but enjoying the rest. That's why it just sounded a bit weird to me.
    That was how I took it, also.

There is more to the show besides them, but it kinda starts, runs through and most likely ends with the teens.

Also, I don't think horror movies like Friday the 13th and Halloween are the proper comparisons to make with how Stranger Things treats its cast. The better comparison would be E.T., The Goonies and Stand By Me where the kids are the protagonists.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Also, I don't think horror movies like Friday the 13th and Halloween are the proper comparisons to make with how Stranger Things treats its cast. The better comparison would be E.T., The Goonies and Stand By Me where the kids are the protagonists.
    King's It is a big influence as well.

That said, Nightmare on Elm Street definitely seems to have inspired part of this season.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 06-01-2022 at 09:46 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

That said, Nightmare on Elm Street definitely seems to have inspired part of this season.
    There is a definite "Pennywise meets Freddy" vibe with the monster's MO this season

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post

Yah Freddy is a better analogy than my Jason and Mike Meyers one.

Also I think for this series, the whole is better than the parts for me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Yah Freddy is a better analogy than my Jason and Mike Meyers one.

Also I think for this series, the whole is better than the parts for me.
    Jason, Freddy, Michael and Pennywise all had that aspect of returning evil and all are reflected in the season to one extent or another but I agree that Freddy is the main inspiration, along with a dash of Pennywise.

BTW, am I the only one who thinks “the orderly” actor, Jamie Campbell Bower, is a dead ringer for a Brian Bolland Joker?

Retired

Without any spoilers, I rather wish this had been the final season. I feel like they held off wrapping up a lot of the plot just because they still had one more season to do. Characters could have revealed a lot more about their feelings in this season yet didn't just so the final season would have that pay off.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

So was that U.S. military personnel protecting the NINA facility? If they were indeed actual U.S. soldiers that means that those marines shot other U.S. soldiers when they raided the NINA bunker and vice versa. How does that work? Government vs Government?? Was that a metaphorical left hand vs right hand situation?
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    So was that U.S. military personnel protecting the NINA facility? If they were indeed actual U.S. soldiers that means that those marines shot other U.S. soldiers when they raided the NINA bunker and vice versa. How does that work? Government vs Government?? Was that a metaphorical left hand vs right hand situation?
    They didn't really resolve the whole 'Eleven is a fugitive' thing, did they?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    You would have hated growing up in the 70s and 80s.
    Born in 77 mate.

I didn't stay stuck there though lol.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Born in 77 mate.

I didn't stay stuck there though lol.
    If binging is your thing, you'll have to adjust. Most streaming services have moved to a one show per week model for their "seasons". Netflix seems to be the only one still somewhat putting it out all at once.

Nothing to stop one from waiting until the entire season is completely out and binging to your hearts content at that time.