Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Batgirl and the Birds of Prey" Solidifies "Killing Joke" In Rebirth Continuity

The band gets back together, as the Rebirth one-shot establishes how, exactly, Batgirl/Oracle, Black Canary and Huntress coalesce as a team.

Full article here.

Glad to hear. I was pretty such DC wasn't going to recon since there is a new animated movie version of Killing Joke coming out soon.

All-New Member

I've never gotten that objection to how Barbara is used in "The Killing Joke." It implies there is something wrong with using a character to further another character's story, which is ridiculous. Furthering stories is what characters are for. Fictional characters are not real people, they are objects that exist only for the purpose of telling stories.

No one makes this criticism about the many other characters who suffer or die to further another character's story. No one says that Thomas and Martha Wayne were used badly in the origin of Batman, because they exist only to traumatize Bruce by their deaths. Ditto for Ben Parker, Abin Sur, and Yin Sen.

The only explanation for why this double standard exists that I can think of is that Violence Against Women, and especially Sexual Violence Against Women are topics many people find upsetting; and some people lack the emotional maturity necessary to realize that just because something upsets them, doesn't mean it's wrong, or that it makes a bad story. So they make up a bogus criticism that attacks one of the basic foundations of storytelling.

There is nothing wrong, either morally or from a storytelling perspective, with hurting or killing a character in order to make another character who loves them upset.

One of the most acclaimed Batman stories ever isn't going to removed from continuity just because it has become controversial.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghatanathoah View Post
    I've never gotten that objection to how Barbara is used in "The Killing Joke." It implies there is something wrong with using a character to further another character's story, which is ridiculous. Furthering stories is what characters are for. Fictional characters are not real people, they are objects that exist only for the purpose of telling stories.
    Because there was a pretty bad trend of it almost exclusively happening to female characters. That and, let's be frank, Barbara Gordon was a character at that point with 20+ years worth of stories and fandom, and she was effectively thrown under the bus all for the sake of Batman and Gordon being able to "rise above it."
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Also of note, all we see in this book is Barbara being shot and paralyzed, and how that leads her to become Oracle, until yada yada Batgirl again. So, that part of the Killing Joke stands. What we don't see, is the striping and photographing of Barbara by the Joker, while she's laying on the ground. I can totally understand why they might ignore that bit, and just focus on the rest.

You can see the camera hanging around Joker's neck, though...

I'll never understand objection to what is Barbara's defining character and easily one of the best in comics. Oracle was/is saying "I'm not going to be a forgotten victim" and it's one of the most empowering messages ever.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Can we officially call Rebirth a reboot now? I know they said it wasn't but if you have to confirm that stories that were already canon are still canon, it's a reboot!
    Assassinate Putin!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    One of the most acclaimed Batman stories ever isn't going to removed from continuity just because it has become controversial.
    I agree. DC has done a good job of making it all work here.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Crud View Post
    I'll never understand objection to what is Barbara's defining character and easily one of the best in comics. Oracle was/is saying "I'm not going to be a forgotten victim" and it's one of the most empowering messages ever.
    This. I'm so glad they didn't retcon all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Can we officially call Rebirth a reboot now? I know they said it wasn't but if you have to confirm that stories that were already canon are still canon, it's a reboot!
    No because in the last Batgirl series it was revealed she had false memories we just didn't know what. Not a reboot

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Muffin Crud View Post
    Probably because Oracle was never part of TKJ. That was added onto continuity later.

If you take TKJ and Oracle together, not that much of a problem. TKJ alone, though, is a bit problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I don't think that makes it a reboot. I think it just clears things up because of a story by the last creative team that uneccessarily muddled her history. The story referenced here: "Recent events in "Batgirl" made a lot of Barbara's history up for debate (with the revelation that at least some of her memories were false), but here we get a definitive answer on one story: "Batman: The Killing Joke" is still part of continuity."

Here the story is just saying, ignore that, this happened just like you thought.
    Bronze Age baby.
    OGG - Original Grim 'n Gritty

Punchedugly.com

Did i ever mentioned how much i love DC Rebirth ?.

BANNED

YAY ! Killing Joke is my favorite Batman story. I'm glad they didn't remove it from continuity.