Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default 12 Things We Want From Marvel's New "Jessica Jones" Comic Book

"Alias" co-creators Brian Michael Bendis & Michael Gaydos are bringing Jessica Jones into Marvel NOW!, and here's what we're looking forward to.

Full article here.

Thrilled to get this new series (Lets be real, mini series). Lots of good points, I'll be interested to see if Bendis can live up to his original Alias.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

The one thing on this list I don't agree with is the costume. One of the most unique and interesting things about is that despite having super powers, she isn't interested in the superheroing game. I'd like her to stay outside of that paradigm.

They could give her something like a distinct coat/jacket... still civilian clothes, but recognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    The one thing on this list I don't agree with is the costume. One of the most unique and interesting things about is that despite having super powers, she isn't interested in the superheroing game. I'd like her to stay outside of that paradigm.

They could give her something like a distinct coat/jacket... still civilian clothes, but recognizable.
    I feel like the scarf/leather jacket or tank top has become her signature look.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

I have a list of 6.789 letters to Playboy/Penthouse that i think will happen to me before I see a Squirrel Girl /Jessica Jones team-up with the versions I love. Jessica lost a lot when she wasn't a MAX book anymore. At least to me. And Squirrel Girl is easily the best book I'm reading now. And it SHOULD BE ALL AGES! (caps intended). I love them both, but unlike oil and vinegar, I doubt they'd be able to make a good dressing.

I agree. Her lack of costume is distinctly Jessica.

I also feel like "swearing" was missing from this list.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

keep the baby as a baby. No need for her to be in elementary school, like these sitcoms where a woman has a baby, and in the next full season, they're already 5-6

Spectacular Member

I would actually be pretty happy if none of the things in this list happened. Jessica Jones should not be a superhero book, it should be a gritty crime noir series set in a world where there happens to be superpowers. No costumes, no mysticals tours around the MU and for the love of god no Squirrel Girl.

Spectacular Member

I actually interpreted it as giving her a signature look like Luke's yellow (different) shirt(s), not a costume for super heroing. And yes, I think Luke doesn't need anything. Imo, he has his signature look down to a notch.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_anonymous View Post
    I would actually be pretty happy if none of the things in this list happened. Jessica Jones should not be a superhero book, it should be a gritty crime noir series set in a world where there happens to be superpowers. No costumes, no mysticals tours around the MU and for the love of god no Squirrel Girl.
    Amen to this except that I figure going back to PI work at Alias sounds fine, I think you do want cameos from superheroes (incidental and plot-driven, and probably most of it by B-list and below characters), and i don't want any kind of love triangles I guess. Most of the other ideas seem like they would probably wreck the book, and i'm really not being hyperbolic here.

No offence meant to the article writer, truly, but if he believes what he's written here and has actually read the previous run of Alias, I have to question both his judgement and taste in comic books quite seriously, and wonder if he might find his time spent more profitably doing something other than writing articles about comics.

Fantastic Member

I agree with most of the points here (despite the constant distractions of negligent copy editing), with the exception of two.

1) The idea of Jessica going into space just seems too out of character. It's not in her wheelhouse, nor should it be. Firstly, she is more of a street level character. It's nice to see her rub shoulders with Thor or Dr. Strange, but only in her own element. Secondly, she is a mother, a very protective one at that, and a mom would not want to be trillions of miles away from her kid on some galavanting star hop.

2) No costume. An iconic look, maybe. But She-Hulk has remained a very popular, very strong character for decades without an established costume. Jessica has left that part of her history behind her and it would be hard to justify her going backwards in her character development.
    Currently Reading: A handful of series that will be canceled soon.

This. In a lot of ways, her street attire _is_ her costume. I think it's fine to have a hero who's a bit more grounded.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonny_anonymous View Post
    I agree, I think Jessica works better in more off beat stories, putting her against Dr. Doom level foes or the Juggernaut seems like putting her against foes outside of her wheel house.

I think she can have allies and supporting characters to play off of, but if the A-force is there all the time, she will feel like a bit player in her book, this is a solo title, not a team book.

I also don't think Purple Man should show up all the time, you can really only do the story where Jessica overcomes her tormentor once, having him appear again will just rehash the same old story, you have him appear once again if Bendis can think of a clever angle, otherwise move on to different villains.

I would put Jessica against more low level street level foes who can challenge her emotionally. Have her work case where she has deal the Scarecrow, the child killing serial killer from the Ghost Rider series, having a hero who is also a mother who against such a foe would put Jessica through a different emotional ringer. Kingpin is not a bad choice for a villain for one story arc, but I wouldn't want him to be an ongoing villain for Jessica.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I don't think we need to see TV Jessica's personality bleed back into the comics. She used to be scared of things like SHIELD and the Avengers for good reason: a lot of her interactions with them were negative, and for most intents and purposes, she was a regular person trying to lead something close to a regular life. She's not anymore, and that's because of her progression in her own stories and in the Avengers. She should still feel realistic and closer to a regular person than other heroes, though.

Bendis will probably incorporate characters from the show because I think he loves corporate synergy the most out of any writer at Marvel, but that's the sort of thing that needs to be handled carefully, or else you end up with boring people that writers continue to push because of synergy value.

Also, yes to swearing, mature plots, etc. If they were willing to promote the Alias trades with the "Jessica Jones" title, they shouldn't be afraid to make this a MAX book, should they?

Yes to Alias investigations (and if she needs to give up Avengers status entirely to do it, so much the better), yes to no love triangles, no to the costume thing, some synergy with the tv show is fine but not too much, no to Killgrave coming back, if anything tv show jessica is a bit of regression, as comic at the moment isn't scared of the Avengers or crippled by PTSD, **** no to Squirrel Girl, can't imagine a character that would fit the tone of comic worse, sure to cameos, Danielle talking is fine but turning into a teen all of the sudden is a horrible idea, when would these 12 years have gone by? No to Jeen, or the other stuff.

I don't see this having a massively long run, don't waste time having her visit every single corner and character of the Marvel Universe. Make a character-driven story, see what fits into it naturally.