Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    When you say third arc" are you saying something as expansive as "Hell on Earth"?
    Yeah, a third story cycle. Plague of Frogs was the first, Hell on Earth is the second, then there's one more.

I was curious about this line from his SDCC panel:

Arcudi’s run on B.P.R.D. ends in September with one more arc to follow after.
    Is that the 3rd cycle, or in fact, another arc (5 issues) of epilogue to Hell on Earth? The wording is a little confusing.

Spectacular Member

When you say third arc" are you saying something as expansive as "Hell on Earth"?
    Yes it's been said many times the 3rd and FINAL "Cycle" as Mike & Co. Refer to them will run at least the same length as Plague of Frogs and Hell on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I was curious about this line from his SDCC panel:
    Arcudi’s run on B.P.R.D. ends in September with one more arc to follow after.
    Is that the 3rd cycle, or in fact, another arc (5 issues) of epilogue to Hell on Earth? The wording is a little confusing.
    Actually, Arcudi's run ends in November. It was supposed to end in September, but the two month delay on The Exorcist pushed it back. When Mignola uses the term arc, he means cycle. It makes it a little confusing since the official terms Dark Horse uses don't match (what Dark Horse calls an arc, Mignola calls a story; what Dark Horse calls a cycle, Mignola calls an arc). I've also seen a cycle referred to as a phase or a saga, but I stick with cycle to remain consistent.

Last I heard, the final B.P.R.D. cycle will run at least as long as Plague of Frogs.

Right. Okay, that's what I'd assumed, thanks for the clarity.

I am confused, the Plague of Frogs story ran 5 issues. But are all the stories leading up to Hell on Earth considered the Plague of Frogs cycle. Are we looking at 5 more issues or 20 or more?

More than 5. We're talking a third cycle

Plague of Frogs
    Hell on Earth
    Something Else

But are all the stories leading up to Hell on Earth considered the Plague of Frogs cycle.
    Yes. (10char)

Based on the length of the first 2 cycles, B.P.R.D should make it to 200 issues.

I just got back into reading comics and this issue was my first BPRD experience. I've not read Hellboy or seen the movies but I wanted to take the plunge. I feel like I missed out on a good time so far but I'm on for the ride. Should have strayed away from DC/Marvel sooner. You can't keep "good storytelling away from the load of editorial non-sense" down.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Storminator16 View Post
    I just got back into reading comics and this issue was my first BPRD experience. I've not read Hellboy or seen the movies but I wanted to take the plunge. I feel like I missed out on a good time so far but I'm on for the ride. Should have strayed away from DC/Marvel sooner. You can't keep "good storytelling away from the load of editorial non-sense" down.
    It's all pretty amazing. I would always suggest starting at the beginning and reading through the whole epic. There's a posted reading order via Mignolaversity that is a great guide. You don't have to read all the titles but its so much fun seeing all the pieces of the grand mystery when you do. You can stick to just Hellboy and BPRD and be fine but all the other titles are fantastic as well. Start with Hellboy: Seed of Destruction and then I'd suggest following the reading order. Its one giant tale full of mystery, folklore, and fun. Single best ongoing universe in comics. I envy the amount of amazing stories you have before you.

That is a seriously daunting list. Be aware, you an simply read Hellboy on its own in order and not miss anything. That's what I did, then went and caught up with BPRD and the others after that.

It's financially daunting, too, so check out your local library!

I was hoping the current run isn't the end of BPRD (and I do remember earlier talk of at least 3 "acts" for BPRD - Plague of Frogs, Hell on Earth, unknown) but all the recent news seemed to point towards Mignola having changed his mind (and the fact John, the main writer for the previous series stepping down too) and closing most things early. I'm glad it looks like that isn't the case.

The only thing that wrapped up earlier than originally intended was Hellboy in Hell.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

There's an excellent preview of issue #144 up on Newsarama.

http://www.newsarama.com/30522-previ...earth-144.html