Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidTierHero View Post
    Varvara isn't a person. Varvara's a demon. I don't know if demons have a gender any more than the Ogdru Jahad does.
    Hellboy is male. His brothers and sisters are their associated genders. I'd probably go with Varvara is female, because that's how she's rolling right now.

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

I'm really thinking we lost a couple of dear characters this issue. That long letter in the back read much like a eulogy. I think it's important to lose such high profile characters now and then, but I think this stings more than any that have come before.

Crap
    Last edited by Junior Wormwood; 10-01-2016 at 09:50 AM.

This was the wrong comic book to read before bed.
    Me's has a sad now.

What a final scene. Varvara is so unpredictable, which makes sense, considering her... his? it's?... sense of morality and motivations are inhuman.
    Varvara isn't a person. Varvara's a demon. I don't know if demons have a gender any more than the Ogdru Jahad does.
    I fully agree with you that I shouldn't regard Varvara as either a girl or a young child, according to all bits of lore pertaining to her "person".

Then again I also feel I shouldn't feel forced to disregard anything inhuman as necessarily less comprehensible or less sane than anything human per se.
    If only since I am human myself, with (at the same time) feeling very aware how unsane and even outright degrading some human behaviour both as 'human intelligence' can prove to be.

I feel confident towards ambiguity and paradox enough to allow such I guess, as far as I feel it sensible plus preferably beyond that I suppose. I'm sure my human condition isn't merely personal nor either only sensible. Especially where stuff like gender or deceiving appearances would be concerned.
    And the 'sensible' is what I personally am to be discerning - so as such I like it when any sense actually becomes tested or potentially compromised somewhat, since otherwise it wouldn't be.
    If reading or inspiring thought presented to me would never test me or my sensemaking, I wouldn't be bothering with it I guess. As such I like Varvara as proving unstraightforward to read, I like how the superficial looks are so simplistically capable of deceiving me, as feeling very 'human'.
    I feel fully aware how fierceness or niceness or trustworthiness doesn't (ever) depend on genders or species, but still suppositions may prove easy to fall for, without much any sensibleness to them.

Many other characters in the Hell-verse similarly aren't receiving much any kind of pre-defined alignment toward 'evil' or either 'benevolence'. Which feels really nifty and realistical to me, since I'd believe all actual 'evil' or 'non-benevolent' stuff to count never reveals itself as such, or only when it's too late.
    So yeah.

EDIT: That said, I'll mostly refer to Varvara as 'she' / 'her', in sentences like:
    'She'll probably hate bathing' or 'Could be her breath smells like Vodka combined with the odour of an incinerator'.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 10-02-2016 at 01:27 PM. Reason: as specified.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Amazing Member

Holy hell, am I embarrassingly wrong, or did we finally get a name for the pudgy UN official who's been nameless for all of Hell on Earth?

Kate refers to one of the two men as 'Gibney,' and I'm pretty sure that's not Nichols' first name...

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    Holy hell, am I embarrassingly wrong, or did we finally get a name for the pudgy UN official who's been nameless for all of Hell on Earth?

Kate refers to one of the two men as 'Gibney,' and I'm pretty sure that's not Nichols' first name...
    I noticed that too. Put a little smile on my face.

Amazing Member

I'm really surprised Middenway didn't mention that in his review. Poor Gibney. Maybe he'll have more to do in the next arc.

Quote Originally Posted by ckmoak View Post
    I'm really surprised Middenway didn't mention that in his review. Poor Gibney. Maybe he'll have more to do in the next arc.
    I didn't write that review. That was Mike Romeo.

Amazing Member

Sorry, my bad!

I read before that Hell on Earth was about The Long Defeat, but right now it seems they are already defeatead.
    Is this the end to Johann? What can happen after all of this?!?
    The scene with Varvara and the pilots made me uncomfortable... that's a depressing but powerful comic.

Heck of an issue. Don't quite know what to say about it. Felt a little anti climactic after the last issue, but I suppose it could just be the calm before the final storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Heck of an issue. Don't quite know what to say about it. Felt a little anti climactic after the last issue, but I suppose it could just be the calm before the final storm.
    I hear you, although I've sort of come to expect this structure in these books. Personally I thought that was one hell of a cliffhanger.

One. More. Issue!

Fantastic Member

Oh gosh. One more issue. How is this going to wrap up? I just can't even cope at this point.

The Claw of Justice!

These comics are making me sad.
    SPOILERS TO FOLLOW

Iosif's death was shocking last issue, but I didn't expect Kate and Panya to really be gone. This is the saddest thing I've read in a long time.
    Last edited by LobsterJohnson; 10-23-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: I can't get the spoiler tags to work

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    I hear you, although I've sort of come to expect this structure in these books. Personally I thought that was one hell of a cliffhanger.

One. More. Issue!

Really? As Josef said "Oh my God!" . Is it a double sized issue at least?