Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    This is Bendis we're talking about and his acknowledgement of past events and characterization is not exactly legendary
    We're talking about Mark Waid & Chris Samnee, who write Black Widow. OP mentions the last page of Black Widow #5. This wouldn't just be an Iron Man plot if they did it this way, it would be a major development for Natasha too.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

If this turns out to be true, then this will be another colossal stupid decision of his which includes making Captain America into a hydra agent and declaring that Wanda and Pietro aren't Magneto's children anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzflower92 View Post
    If this turns out to be true, then this will be another colossal stupid decision of his which includes making Captain America into a hydra agent and declaring that Wanda and Pietro aren't Magneto's children anymore.
    Spencer had the Red Skull use the cosmic cube to retcon part of Steve's history; allowing for him to be a hydra agent. but Spencer didn't have anything to do with the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver reveal, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong).

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Spencer had the Red Skull use the cosmic cube to retcon part of Steve's history; allowing for him to be a hydra agent. but Spencer didn't have anything to do with the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver reveal, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong).
    That was Remender IIRC but I agree with it since Magneto as the father was a retcon in the first place. Read you old Avengers stories and it was Bob and Madeline Frank, two Golden Age characters. It was in an annual but I forgot which one.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That was Remender IIRC but I agree with it since Magneto as the father was a retcon in the first place. Read you old Avengers stories and it was Bob and Madeline Frank, two Golden Age characters. It was in an annual but I forgot which one.
    doesn't bother me either way. they can stop blaming him for their genetics, now. but the Bob and Madeline Frank stuff is even less relevant with the new reveals; unless the High Evolutionary chose their dna for some reason.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

It was Giant Size Avengers #1. Thing is, nobody liked that explanation and how it turned out. Especially how it treated the Golden Age characters of the Whizzed (who abandoned the twins) and Ms America ( who gets fridged). Byrne and company would change it to Magneto because they felt it was more appropriate. At the time Mutants were still few and far between and Magneto had raised the twins since childhood anyway, when he rescued them.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    It was Giant Size Avengers #1. Thing is, nobody liked that explanation and how it turned out. Especially how it treated the Golden Age characters of the Whizzed (who abandoned the twins) and Ms America ( who gets fridged). Byrne and company would change it to Magneto because they felt it was more appropriate. At the time Mutants were still few and far between and Magneto had raised the twins since childhood anyway, when he rescued them.
    From childhood??? ehhh...that's a big Nope. They were already adults Magneto stumbled across them in Europe. The High Evolutionary gave them to a Roma couple Maximoffs to raise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    We're talking about Mark Waid & Chris Samnee, who write Black Widow. OP mentions the last page of Black Widow #5. This wouldn't just be an Iron Man plot if they did it this way, it would be a major development for Natasha too.
    Yes but the resolution of Tony's parents is in Bendis's court and Waid may have been told to go along with it

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

From childhood??? ehhh...that's a big Nope. They were already adults Magneto stumbled across them in Europe. The High Evolutionary gave them to a Roma couple Maximoffs to raise.
    I just checked the panels. I conflated the original scene from X-Men #4, with a similar scene from the late 70s, I believe.

Pietro and Wanda wouldn't have been adults. They were teenagers; 15 is the age given for the X-Men at the time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    I just hope it doesn't turn out that Natasha and Tony have sex and she goes back in time and has a baby and that baby turns out to be Tony so Tony turns out to be his own father!

That would be worse than been told that Norman Osborn and Gwen Stacy had children together.
    I hate myself for saying this, but I suddennly want to read this so bad...

Ultimate Member

This would be creepy and awkward and unnecessary. IF they hadn't had had Natasha and Tony's early interactions have such a seductive/sexual tinge to them (and imply past hookups between the two over the years as well), then MAYBE. But as it stands, no just no (and it'd be hard to just brush over/ignore that previous stuff as well).

But, I agree that the whole "Natasha knows who Tony's real mother is" or even "she killed his real parents" is more plausible. Especially the latter, since it'd be a "parallel" to the CW movie as well (and Marvel LOVES it's "synergy").

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    Yes but the resolution of Tony's parents is in Bendis's court and Waid may have been told to go along with it
    Mmm, I think (like the Wanda/Pietro/Magneto reveal) that this is coming from higher up. I'm basically certain that the decision to make Tony adopted was editorially driven. And if Natasha really is Tony's mom that would have to come from editorial as well, given it involves multiple books with multiple creators. This is another reason why I really doubt the theory, because I can't see why editorial would go for it. They had a clear reason to separate Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch from Magneto with the films giving them another origin; making Natasha Tony's mom doesn't make sense in any universe. Then again, I have no idea why they thought "Tony is adopted" is something that needed to happen, but they did.
    FYBW: my Black Widow blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrist View Post
    Mmm, I think (like the Wanda/Pietro/Magneto reveal) that this is coming from higher up. I'm basically certain that the decision to make Tony adopted was editorially driven. And if Natasha really is Tony's mom that would have to come from editorial as well, given it involves multiple books with multiple creators. This is another reason why I really doubt the theory, because I can't see why editorial would go for it. They had a clear reason to separate Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch from Magneto with the films giving them another origin; making Natasha Tony's mom doesn't make sense in any universe. Then again, I have no idea why they thought "Tony is adopted" is something that needed to happen, but they did.
    in general, i'm only in favor of change that leads to increased story potential. i'm not sure that Tony being adopted accomplishes that. it also throws a wrinkle in past continuity. so who did Tony inherit his alcoholism from? why were he and Morgan Stark almost identical; back in the day?

i'll be glad when their real backgrounds are established. because, right now, it's a real mess. they were given to the Maximoffs. but then they were taken back, irrc. and i'm pretty sure that suspended animation comes into play; somewhere. it's how they explained their relative youth despite being the offspring of Holocaust survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    yeah Nat does have anti aging properties. Thats been established. She was a child during WW2. Cap and wolverine rescued her from Baron Strucker and the Hand. Then she was placed in the Red rooms Black Widow program. There she grew up to adaulthood given a serum simular to the super soldier one.
    Thanks. I did not know that.