View Poll Results: Wonder Woman should be stronger than superman?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 11.29%
  • No

56 45.16%
  • Equal

54 43.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Wonder Woman should be stronger than Superman?

Recently Johns in a interview said that wonder woman has the same powers that Superman and is a better fighterthan him.

so wonder woman should be stronger, weaker or equal to superman strenght?

No. She shouldn't. Superman is AND HAS ALWAYS been the mightiest hero in the DC universe. He built that house called DC. Without him there wouldn't be a Wonder Woman to begin with or a Batman.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Equal.

Her creator intended her to be his equal from Day One. She WAS his equal under Marston's pen....and then DC got a hold of her after him and their 1940s minds just couldn't compute the idea of a woman being equal to Superman so they powered her down while he just kept getting stronger and stronger.

They're the greatest male and female heroes in comics. They should stand together as equal symbols of admiration for boys and girls alike.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Equal.

Her creator intended her to be his equal from Day One. She WAS his equal under Marston's pen....and then DC got a hold of her after him and their 1940s minds just couldn't compute the idea of a woman being equal to Superman so they powered her down while he just kept getting stronger and stronger.

They're the greatest male and female heroes in comics. They should stand together as equal symbols of admiration for boys and girls alike.
    If she intended her to be Superman's equal he would have made her bullet proof from the beginning instead of having her using bracelets to repel bullets. In practice Superman even under Marston was always the strongest and toughest dog around.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco View Post
    If she intended her to be Superman's equal he would have made her bullet proof from the beginning instead of having her using bracelets to repel bullets. In practice Superman even under Marston was always the strongest and toughest dog around.
    Who says he didn't make her bulletproof? She never got shot under Marston's pen because her defensive skills with her bracelets were always able to keep bullets away from her.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Who says he didn't make her bulletproof? She never got shot under Marston's pen because her defensive skills with her bracelets were always able to keep bullets away from her.
    Why would a bullet proof being deflect bullets with metallic bracelets? Did he ever stated that she was bullet proof? Was it stated in the pages of the comics? "She is bullet proof but in order to hone her skills she rather catch and deflects bullets."

BANNED

Equal.

I think it's less that she was powered down and more that he was powered way, way up.
    And ity happened again after Crisis On Infinite Earths, where Wonder Woman got a massive power boost and Superman was brought down a lot, making them equal again, except Superman pretty soon started to grow exponentially more powerful again while she stayed the same.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think it's less that she was powered down and more that he was powered way, way up.
    And ity happened again after Crisis On Infinite Earths, where Wonder Woman got a massive power boost and Superman was brought down a lot, making them equal again, except Superman pretty soon started to grow exponentially more powerful again while she stayed the same.
    I think this is true but outside of her Main Title she has been depowered a bit which i think is where most people get introduced to her so that perception of her being weaker is pretty prominent, i.e. her appearance in "For The Man that Has Everything" or in some of those TDK books where she seems to be weaker than Clark.

Voted no.

Doesn't mean Wonder Woman is not very formidable or can't take down Superman if he's in the wrong (she most certainly is and she most certainly can).

Wonder Woman's powers, in one way or another, derive from the Greek gods. And the DC Olympians have never been shown to be as mighty as Marvel's Asgardians.

For starters, DC's Olympians are actual gods that depend on believers while Marvel's Asgardians are more like cosmic alien beings that are mistaken for gods. Marvel's Asgardians are more like DC's New Gods in that they actually matter to the greater Marvel universe. DC's Olympians typically only have importance as far as Wonder Woman's involvement goes.

Marvel's Odin is a legitimate galaxy-buster (his most likely DC counterpart is Highfather of the New Gods) and is involved in Marvel's crossovers, while I can't recall the last cosmic crisis in which DC's Zeus played any sort of major role. Basically, the Greek gods are a lousy power source, esp when you consider they are not even the only pantheon on DC's Earth (at a minimum, both the Egyptian and Norse pantheons also exist here).

Wonder Woman never comes into existence without Superman, the reverse is definitely not true. He gets priority in this department.

Again, Diana not being as physically powerful as Kal doesn't diminish her as long as she had vastly superior fighting skills and magical weapons to counter him. She is that rarest class of hero (Shazam, Captain Atom, Martian Manhunter) that can take on Superman in single combat and potentially win.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I went with no. Marston intended them to be equal at the time, but Superman quickly grew stronger as time went by, and it's not like Marston or WW writers really have any say on how powerful Superman should be. Would he have acted accordingly and powered her up had he lived? Maybe, but it didn't happen.

I don't think she needs to be anyway. Superman being the overall mightiest hero is one of the big things of his character, and he eclipses everybody, not just her. She's still a better fighter and strategist than him, doesn't have the Kryptonite weakness, and is still an overall heavier hitter than pretty much every other member of the League (most of whom are men). If she is second place...who cares? Doesn't bring down my enjoyment of her stories, which are told differently than his. Her greatest asset, fighting with love, really sets her apart from everybody else anyway.

And she can still beat him. Just because it isn't a walk in the park doesn't make it less of a big deal. It actually makes it more tense and interesting.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 07-21-2016 at 04:01 PM.

BANNED

same strength + less flying speed + same combat speed + more skillful + more intelligent + less stamina + no sword + unbreakable lasso + vulnerable to pointy/bladed weapons = Equal to Superman.

The Superman fans say Superman represents the idea that "absolute power doesn't corrupt absolutely" yet Superman appeals to the desire to be the unchallenged, unrivaled alpha-male. In other words, they crave absolute power at the expense of everyone else. Power does corrupt after all

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    same strength + less flying speed + same combat speed + more skillful + more intelligent + less stamina + no sword + unbreakable lasso + vulnerable to pointy/bladed weapons = Equal to Superman.

The Superman fans say Superman represents the idea that "absolute power doesn't corrupt absolutely" yet Superman appeals to the desire to be the unchallenged, unrivaled alpha-male. In other words, they crave absolute power at the expense of everyone else. Power does corrupt after all
    I don't speak about myself when I say Superman represents the idea that absolute power doesn't corrupt absolutely. I know I will probably be corrupted if I was as powerful as Superman. But the idea of an individual as Superman existing and been uncorrupted by so much power, able to use it for the greater good is incredibly enticing. Having other good guys/gals around who are just as powerful nullifies that aspect. He should be challenged by those who are corrupted by power. I do believe he should have more enemies like Mongul and Darkseid. So powerful that he can just beat them down with raw power. Or like Luthor, so cunning that he can't just walk to them and punch them without coming off as a huge bully.

I do believe Superman and Wonder Woman can be written as equals without them actually been equally powered. They can both be smart without having to make one dumb so the other look smarter. Wonder Woman is the better fighter, tactician and has greater knowledge of the supernatural(she is a demigoddess/warrior amazon princess). Superman is best versed in super science and advanced tech (alien from Krypton). Superman physical attributes are greater but she makes up with her training and her mystical weapons (which can actually kill him). They are both long lived or immortal.

Equal.

Vanguard-01 you rock love your comment and quote.i couldn't have said it any better

Well the last two Rebirth Action Comics has not helped us gauge Diana's power. Even if she was not as powerful...just a poor showing by Jurgens. Rebirth JL as well since it's being implied the League seems useless without pre new 52 Supes. Has Rebirth WW been down graded?

I like Diana as Clark's equal. I never cared for him pushing planets anyway. But they have varying abilities and gifts that make them not a copy of each other any more than they are of MM, PG and other heavy hitters.

BANNED

"A poor showing by jurgens" that's an understatement. He made an ass of Wonder Woman