Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cav-El91

Default Hiw many people are reading/loving Pak's Action Comics?

I'm new here, first day & first post, and I wanted to know what the general consensus is on N52 Superman. I thought Pak's Action Comics vol.2 #25-29 was fantastic, Doomed has been alright, but would you like the Pak and Kuder team to stay on an write fantastic stories post-Doom.

What's your opinion on Pak & Kuder and their Action Comics?

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

As Superlad93 would say--and likely will later on in the thread--in Pak we trust.

He, along with Mark Waid, is one of the very short list of people who can show Superman as essentially being an ordinary man at heart who can make it really work for me, primarily because A. They still sell his alienation, and B. Pak writes damn fun Superman stories. It's been kind of disappointing reading Doomed and getting merely really really good Superman comics, as opposed to some of the best in decades. And I really didn't think Kuder was going to work at ALL, but he's been just as terrific. Hope they have a long, prosperous run on the title.
    Buh-bye

Love it! One of my favorite books at the moment.

*Raises Hand*
    Still my favorite title right now
    Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share -- I'll never stop fighting. Ever.
    -Superman, Action Comics #775

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Reading it.
    Loving it.
    As much as I'm,okay with Doomed so far, can't wait for Pak and Kuder to go back to their own plans.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Doomed kind of put out the hype in me. But it might now be the only DC book I look forward to reading.

So far, I think Pak has been pretty solid. I've really been enjoying is Batman/Superman series. I think he has a good grasp on the voice of these characters. He hasn't been on Action Comics long enough for me to make an assessment, but he hasn't done anything too terrible or too spectacular yet. Since he's in the middle of a crossover arc, it's hard to really assess the worth of his run just yet.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

When's the first trade of his run due out?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cav-El91 View Post
    I'm new here, first day & first post, and I wanted to know what the general consensus is on N52 Superman. I thought Pak's Action Comics vol.2 #25-29 was fantastic, Doomed has been alright, but would you like the Pak and Kuder team to stay on an write fantastic stories post-Doom.

What's your opinion on Pak & Kuder and their Action Comics?
    I think Pak & Kuder's Action Comics has been the best it's been in a long time, very much on par with Morrison's. And yeah, while I'm enjoying Doomed, I definitely want to see what they have planned following it.

Best Superman characterization since Morrison, and as I've said before if he's on the title for long term, Pak has the potential to outdo Morrison from that perspective. Different styles of storytelling outside that though, so I don't really compare beyond that.

Pak's Action is possibly the best Superman has been in over twenty years, with the exception of Morrison's opening arc.

Assuming that DC can leave Pak alone and let him tell his story and craft a long run his way, (sadly unlikely given how DC does things now) this could end up being considered one of the all-time great runs in Superman's history.

In a quarter century, when people talk about the great Superman creative teams of his century-long career, Pak and Kulder have the potential to be among the greats we'll all mention along with Swan and Morrison and Maggin.

That's about as high praise as I can possibly give.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'm reading it and loving it. I look forward to Action every month. It's the first thing I read for the week. I hope Pak and Kuder stay on Action for a long time. I just can't get enough.

Reading it and loving it. Pak and Kuder are an excellent combination. Hope they stay this book for as long as possible. It's my favourite Superman book currently however the sooner we're out of Doomed, the better. Overall though, the Superman line is in a very strong place right now, with Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman and Superman Unchained all excellent titles.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I can only agree. It's been great so far and I hope Pak and Kuder stay for a long run.

I don't know what his memo on Supergirl was, but his writing of her in the AC #33 preview seems way off character given the current flow of the character in her solo title & Red Lanterns books. I don't read Action Comics, but I do plan to pick up this Doomed event since it has ties to Supergirl. Having said that, to see any writer take a character and pretty much give said character a personality transplant seems to be a sign of poor writing in this instance. It just seems like he took the character and used her for his own story telling needs and to hell with any sort of background continuity for her. It's like he just was told she's a Red Lantern now, no more info needed and wrote her as such. Really, really poor sign he must have done zero background checking on Supergirl before he wrote that.

As for Kuder's art, while I like his style alot, he obviously also got told Kara is a raging Red Lantern lunatic and should be drawn as such. Again, not the art that's the problem here, but how it was used to portray the character poorly.

I wouldn't be racing out to buy Greg Pak's books in the future if this is any indication of his writing.