Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

I tried, I really tried to give Tynion a fair shake, but he just went and did it again... It's just bad writing again and again with him, he can't seem to help himself, and I'm tired of it. I'm just not reading stuff he writes from now on, because no matter how promising the setup, the guy swings and misses. I get it can be rationalized as a plot point in the overarching Rebirth thing, but it's once again done in such a manner that it's dumb and lazy and awkward, and I've had enough of it. Also, yes, shame on the editors too.

Another reason for singling out Tim may have to do with the Batman Beyond Tim, who also vanished. Oz may have plans for the two of them that are yet to be revealed.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    Another reason for singling out Tim may have to do with the Batman Beyond Tim, who also vanished. Oz may have plans for the two of them that are yet to be revealed.
    But we're not reading this book for Oz and his plans, what about the LOS and Monster Men? there was no resolution to the Colony arc was it? Everything that mattered, everything that was built on was swept aside for an overarching Rebirth plot line, I just saw the final pages, there was no hint of Steph's relationship playing any role in his kidnapping. Oz just says a few cryptic things and that's all there was to it so even that shoddy angle doesn't play a factor. I'm gonna stop and read the comic myself and be back in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    But we're not reading this book for Oz and his plans, what about the LOS and Monster Men? there was no resolution to the Colony arc was it? Everything that mattered, everything that was built on was swept aside for an overarching Rebirth plot line, I just saw the final pages, there was no hint of Steph's relationship playing any role in his kidnapping. Oz just says a few cryptic things and that's all there was to it so even that shoddy angle doesn't play a factor. I'm gonna stop and read the comic myself and be back in a while.
    Why can't all those things coexist? I don't know why anyone would've expected we wouldn't have gotten something to tie this book into the larger story, though I admit I was surprised we got something this major this quickly. And I'm actually glad the Colony is going to be a recurring threat, and maybe even a potential ally later on. It helps make the arcs more intertwined, and I love that sort of thing. There was enough resolution to it for now. They're crippled and on the run, but still out there.

I will agree that I was disappointed that this issue didn't contain a setup for NotMM, though. None of the titles involved had any lead-up to it in their issues just prior to the crossover, which is just... odd.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

I find Detective to be the most (and only) actually thrilling title out there though I like a lot of others very much. Couldn't wait for my LCS to open and I was up so I bought it online. Another fantastic issue, beautifully rendered by Eddy Barrows. (I love the singular way he draws Batman's cape in particular.)

SPOILERS

spoilers:
    I found the resolution to the big question to be ideal. I really didn't want to see Tim die but it will be interesting to see him grieved, though he is not dead but (it seems) plucked out of continuity by (it seems) Ozymandias giving him a big role in the two-year, mega-story that is Rebirth with the missing ten years and the forgotten Teen Titans and The Watchmen's (or at least Dr. Manhattan and it seems Ozymandias) role in that.

That they could pluck Tim Drake out of continuity as part of their god-game and that they chose to pluck him out is pretty cool if you ask me. And I'd say it's a guarantee he'll be back and it could have gone the other way.

One of the fun things about what we know so far about Rebirth and the missing 10 years story that will be in some titles but not all over the next two years is that we won't know which titles are participating until it happens. In that, this was a wonderful surprise for me.

I'm glad that my favorite Rebirth title has a connection to the mega-backstory involving The Watchmen. I've never tried posting spoiler tags before. Hope this works.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Classic Tynion. Not sure whether I should find it cringworthy or just roll my eyes. So glad I'd already come to the decision to drop this book.
    I'm sure you know this but yours is an extreme minority opinion which wouldn't be weird at all except for the way you sort of state it like people will tend to agree with you.

In polls of favorite Rebirth books, Detective as written by Tynion, is always at or near the best rated and it's my favorite title in the whole line which I'm enjoying a lot across the board.

Also, isn't Tynion a little new at this for there to even be such a thing as "classic Tynion?" I think this is his first run on a major title (or nearly) and, while all art is subjective and one can't be wrong when one thinks a thing is bad, one can be in very small company. In this case, you are.

But if you're not enjoying the book by all means you should drop it. Nobody should buy a comic book they already know they're not going to enjoy.

Haven't read the thread but I just saw another anti-Tynion post. Maybe it IS a majority opinion here and I have that wrong though it would be a little strange for there to be a movement against the writer of so beloved a title.

I knew Tynion was new to this going in and gave him a lot of room to grow into a good or great writer, ideally a good or great Batman writer.

IMO, from his first issue of Detective he's been more than that. He's been a great "Batman Family" writer and, though the honors used to belong to Justice League, Detective has become the book to which I most look forward. A lot of that is Barrows but a lot of it is Tynion too. I'm just a fan of his writing, plain and simple.

That said, it was not that much of a feat knocking off a Bryan Hitch-written comic off the top of my pile. The only thing I love better than Batman comics is Justice League comics. Except for the rare terrible run (Robinson, McDuffie RIP, and certainly what Hitch has been putting out lately) it's always on the top of my stack.

There's something about team books that make them special to me and I also love the original JSA, the original and NTT, Infinity Inc, Batman and the Outsiders, etc.

But there's a team book I've been missing a long time and I hadn't realized I was missing until it was back and that's "Batman Family."

I love every single thing about this title, from the addition of a contrite Clayface to the storyline with Kate Kane's father.

Different strokes, I guess.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    spoilers:
    It might not only be his relationship with Steph, that's just how I interpreted it. Maybe there's other things we don't know about yet; I'm mostly speculating, I admit.
    But compare all the relationships you're talking about. Dick and Barbara have still known each other a long time and their relationship has grown naturally. No worries there. Wally trying to connect with Linda isn't a danger because she rejected him. Tim and Steph, however, have grown their relationship to a comparable point to where they were pre-Flashpoint (possibly even further) despite knowing each other only a few months. That's why Oz was worried, as I interpreted it. It doesn't necessarily have anything specifically to do with romance, only that this was happening at an unnatural rate, in a way that Oz figured was because Tim "knew too much", so to speak.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Green Arrow and Black Canary are doing the same as Tim and Steph. It can't be their relationship, there is other that Tim discovered or did to worry Oz.
    So, now Oz collects Doomsday and Red Robin... who's next?
    end of spoilers

Tim Drake & Wally West

This is a good outcome for me. It positions Tim as a major player in the ongoing Rebirth arc and I couldn't be happier. First Wally, now Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    spoilers:
    Green Arrow and Black Canary are doing the same as Tim and Steph. It can't be their relationship, there is other that Tim discovered or did to worry Oz.
    end of spoilers
    If so, then I suspect you're right. It's something else more specific to Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I'm sure you know this but yours is an extreme minority opinion which wouldn't be weird at all except for the way you sort of state it like people will tend to agree with you.

In polls of favorite Rebirth books, Detective as written by Tynion, is always at or near the best rated and it's my favorite title in the whole line which I'm enjoying a lot across the board.

Also, isn't Tynion a little new at this for there to even be such a thing as "classic Tynion?" I think this is his first run on a major title (or nearly) and, while all art is subjective and one can't be wrong when one thinks a thing is bad, one can be in very small company. In this case, you are.

But if you're not enjoying the book by all means you should drop it. Nobody should buy a comic book they already know they're not going to enjoy.
    Or just Tynion has done a good job so far and some people have bothered with the latest issue and execution.

It's better that you don't use ad hominem arguments to minimize the view of a user, is not good.

Also note that Tynion has written other titles, one of them with disastrous results. It's true that it would not be fair to judge Tynion after their mistakes but some of us we don't have him in high esteem and accept everything he offers.

I agree on something with you, art is subjective and we all have our point of view.
    Last edited by Orujo-man; 09-14-2016 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    Kon-El. Preferrably the original Kessel one. It could especially resonate now considering Tim's current situation and that they were besties.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

My main problem with this is that I read Tec for Tim and we don't know how long that rebirth stuff is going to take. I want more Tim stuff by the end of the year at least. Also I'm hoping for more reactions to what happened in this issue in Nightwing and Batman before we get too deep into the monster men stuff.

Rebirth was slated to last 2 years. So we've got somewhere around the ballpark of Summer 2018 before the larger event reaches conclusion. That doesn't necessarily mean that's how long it will take to see him again, but that's how long Rebirth was confirmed to be.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Just readed it, without spoiling anything, i think that everyone will be happy with the conclusion of this arc