Page 43 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Not to worry. Tim will ALWAYS be elevated as a character, and anything that happens will be in his best promotional interests, long run or short.
    Do you really believe this? The character was pretty much dragged through the gutter from flashpoint to rebirth.

I mean, I think DC tries to act in the best promotional interest of most of their characters, but they've utterly failed to do so with Tim until very recently.

Here is a few things:

I think the "reconnection he should have never made" is with Robin mantle. He was "never a Robin" but from the beginning of the title we've been told that Batman always considered him as one. His new costume was also an allusion to this. His last words to Bruce was "Robin out" and Tynion confirmed on twitter that it was Tim admitting his role as well.

Here is the thing though; Tim defined Robin back in the days. He loved and accepted being Robin and if it wasn't flr Damian, he was fine with living with that mantle. I think Manhattan took THAT away and now making the connections with Robin mantle again put him on target.

Also Tynion only mentions Tim's old origins in the interview so we are about to get it back soon like Jason did his.

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TsukiSentinel View Post
    This sounds like a good idea to me. Tim is being elevated as a character.
    You have a weird definition of elevating a character. Character just thrown to wind for two years possibly used whenever this stuff Oz from watchmen is done.

The about Forever Evil & Grayson was that there was 1) Barely 2 months between the event and the launch of new title 2) Dick had his own solo & 3) Was not very dependent on Forever Evil once the series started with only Lex Luthor appearance being the only link and even that still tied more to the series than FE. Tim is coming from a TT which is being replaced along with the Original Titans coming back. Top billing for this OZ storyline is still going to Superman and Rebirth to Flash/Batman. I dont think this elevates Tim but just keeps him in a place where he is not completely irrelevant. Young Justice may help but that sill is not a solo

I'm glad so many folks are optimistic about this ensuring Tim's prominence, but I have to think there's a good chance we'll see this abduction scenario continue to happen, with the characters just stuck in their cells like the bad guys on the Flash TV show. Eventually someone will come to the rescue, but that doesn't mean Tim will play more than the traditional Lois Lane/plot device role.

I'd be less concerned if we hadn't seen this happen already with Doomsday. I can't see him playing any significant part in defeating the big bad, except maybe to be freed and smash some stuff up.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Personally I don't think it will automatically lead to a prominent role for Tim in the greater story despite what Tynion has said. Dick Grayson was supposed to have had a prominent role in Forever Evil and look how that turned out. I'll believe it when I actually see it in print and not before.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Do you really believe this? The character was pretty much dragged through the gutter from flashpoint to rebirth.

I mean, I think DC tries to act in the best promotional interest of most of their characters, but they've utterly failed to do so with Tim until very recently.
    I'm looking at the long game and at the promotional history of the character over the decades. Tim has had a couple of years off the top pedestal while the company was more focused on other things (such as Batman vs Superman), but Tynion has said he wants him back up there, and he's clearly got some political pull (no idea WHY, but he does seem to the 'new talent'). Tim was THE Robin when Didio, Johns, Snyder, and Tynion were growing up so the powers-that-be are partial to him. If I'd been in charge, I would have deemed the character "redundant"--especially with all the other new young characters they're trying to promote (such as Duke and Harpy)--and killed him off. And I don't think DC (or Marvel) act in the promotional interest of their characters--they just indulge the writers with a few guidelines here and there--especially Marvel.
    Last edited by oasis1313; 09-15-2016 at 10:28 AM.

So i'm wondering if tim drake is going to get a funeral; i also wonder if his parents are alive in the rebirth universe.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    I'm looking at the long game and at the promotional history of the character over the decades. Tim has had a couple of years off the top pedestal while the company was more focused on other things (such as Batman vs Superman), but Tynion has said he wants him back up there, and he's clearly got some political pull (no idea WHY, but he does seem to the 'new talent'). Tim was THE Robin when Didio, Johns, Snyder, and Tynion were growing up so the powers-that-be are partial to him. If I'd been in charge, I would have deemed the character "redundant"--especially with all the other new young characters they're trying to promote (such as Duke and Harpy)--and killed him off. And I don't think DC (or Marvel) act in the promotional interest of their characters--they just indulge the writers with a few guidelines here and there--especially Marvel.
    That's an...interesting angle to take.

I think DC is concerned with money first and foremost, the idea that they would indulge writers even if those writers wanted to do things that would result in less money is kind of weird to me. I think DC has realized that the Robins all have their fans, and are merely letting Tynion reposition Tim to more closely resemble how he used to be when his book was a consistent seller for many years.

Killing him off in favor of Duke and Harper (2 completely unproven characters who have yet to prove themselves as a draw to readers) would be madness. I think Tim has his niche as the everyman bat hero (basically his original characterization of Lee Spidey meets batman), and with Jason doing his good natured anti-hero thing and Dick doing his international man of awesome thing, Tim has a place in the DCU.

I know you're not a fan of the character though.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So i'm wondering if tim drake is going to get a funeral; i also wonder if his parents are alive in the rebirth universe.
    Well, they were still alive during Batman & Robin Eternal, weren't they? And wasn't Rebirth suppose to be keeping most of what happened with the New52 & DCYou?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    That's an...interesting angle to take.

I think DC is concerned with money first and foremost, the idea that they would indulge writers even if those writers wanted to do things that would result in less money is kind of weird to me. I think DC has realized that the Robins all have their fans, and are merely letting Tynion reposition Tim to more closely resemble how he used to be when his book was a consistent seller for many years.

Killing him off in favor of Duke and Harper (2 completely unproven characters who have yet to prove themselves as a draw to readers) would be madness. I think Tim has his niche as the everyman bat hero (basically his original characterization of Lee Spidey meets batman), and with Jason doing his good natured anti-hero thing and Dick doing his international man of awesome thing, Tim has a place in the DCU.

I know you're not a fan of the character though.
    Yeah killing off Tim because of Duke would be like cancelling Game of Thrones because some new show with lower ratings ripped it off. Not a good idea.

I don't know, i think when it comes to a point when they have to split hairs to differentiate a set of characters, while having them honestly just sort of rehash one another, there might be a problem. Even now, almost immediately after Grayson, Jason goes undercover and Tim "dies". DC doesn't need multiple sets of sudo-Nightwings and sudo-Titans teams, they actually start to dilute one another.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-15-2016 at 12:24 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I don't know, i think when it comes to a point when they have to split hairs to differentiate a set of characters, while having them honestly just sort of rehash one another, there might be a problem. Even now, almost immediately after Grayson, Jason goes undercover and Tim "dies". DC doesn't need multiple sets of sudo-Nightwings and sudo-Titans teams, they actually start to dilute one another.
    It's not a problem with any of the main Robins, the redundant characters were all created after the New 52 started. Dick and Jason and Tim can all be described with little to no redundancy. Yeah there's similarities but they all stand on their own just fine.

BANNED

Every one of the 4 robins brought something new and unique to the table and enriched the batverse.