Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default SDCC: Roxane Gay Joins Marvel for "Black Panther: World of Wakanda"

Noted writer Roxane Gay is set to make her comic book debut, writing the newly announced "Black Panther: World of Wakanda" with Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Full article here.

This is exciting. I look forward to what Coates, Gay, and Harvey write in this new series. I also look forward to seeing which stories come next.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Spectacular Member 100010959493281's Avatar

I am really impressed by this!

To think, a black, female writer, writing a comic starring (at least the first arc) black female characters. I guess it's kind of sad that that's impressive to me, because this should have happened years, if not decades, ago. Either way, and however long it took to get here, it's here. Boy, is it here.

And Afua Richardson doing covers too...

Wow.

BLACK PANTHER and BLACK PANTHER: WORLD OF WAKANDA.

Just... wow.

Make mine Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by 100010959493281 View Post

To think, a black, female writer, writing a comic starring (at least the first arc) black female characters. I guess it's kind of sad that that's impressive to me, because this should have happened years, if not decades, ago. Either way, and however long it took to get here, it's here. Boy, is it here.

Wow.

Just... wow.

Make mine Marvel.
    Good points, especially to the bold. While I am thrilled to see Gay and Harvey as the first Black women writers for Marvel, it is sad that it took this long to happen.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

This is great, I'm hoping or guessing that World of Black Panther will focus on Wakanda and Panther's supporting cast, while Black Panther focuses on the character more in depth. Hoping to see more magic, and divinity in the title and dive into more of what Vibranium can do. The announced writers name honestly threw me off when I was scrolling through the article.

This is fantastis news. A queer black woman writing a comic about two queer black women. The Midnight Angels have been, hands-down, my favourite part of Coates' Black Panther so far, so I'm psyched to see them get their own book. It's not technically a solo title, but it's close enough. So it's a near-solo starring LGBT characters, something Marvel was lacking with Nower. And they've been lacking black female writers since forever. So yeah, good on Marvel for this, and I will definitely be picking this up.

I'm also curious how Yona Harvey will do, with her short story. Coates talked about his theory that poetry writing isn't that much different from comic writing, as it's about using limited space to get across maximum effect.

This is wonderful news! In fact, I reckon marvel has pretty much won SDCC with this announcement. What could they possibly announce, or anyone else for that matter, that could possibly be bigger or better? Literally can't wait to read it

Fantastic Member

When Marvel relaunched with Marvel NOW a few years ago there was a noticeable lack of Black woman in their books. Now there's the new Iron Man, Monica Rambeau is back, Misty Knight is back, Ayo, Aneka. Shuri will mos def get some panel time in this new book as well. Honestly, one would think that if there was to be a 2nd BP book, it would focus on an established character like Shuri, not tertiary characters like Ayo/Aneka. But TNC is world building and thats cool

I stopped reading TNC's Black Panther because the book didnt focus on Tchalla enough haven't read since issue #3. The art is pretty hit or miss as well. Hopefullythe artist on this book can do sequential action better than Stelfreeze ��

Not all that surprised that Gay will be the first Black woman to write for Marvel, def a step in the write direction.
    Last edited by Maverick; 07-22-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    This is wonderful news! In fact, I reckon marvel has pretty much won SDCC with this announcement. What could they possibly announce, or anyone else for that matter, that could possibly be bigger or better? Literally can't wait to read it
    Hey, the Justice League Action sizzle reel totally won SDCC .

Well, at least on the TV side of things .

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    MILESTONE with something in writing or art showing a new Static book being made.

But right now Marvel done punk DC badly at least on the comic side.

Quote Originally Posted by 100010959493281 View Post

Wow.

Just... wow.

Make mine Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Good points, especially to the bold. While I am thrilled to see Gay and Harvey as the first Black women writers for Marvel, it is sad that it took this long to happen.
    "It doesn't make sense that I am the first, in 2016. But I won't be the last."

Everyone is claiming sadness and stuff not making sense but how many black women were applying to write at marvel?

Given that Marvel had to go chasing a person that doesnt write comics shows that it doesnt look like there a lot for people knocking at the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Everyone is claiming sadness and stuff not making sense but how many black women were applying to write at marvel?
    Impossible to know. Marvel doesn't talk about people they don't hire, and few creators talk about not being hired. Beyond that, it's worth remembering that Marvel doesn't actually accept unsolicited pitches. If anyone wants to pitch to Marvel, they need to wait until they get called. The reason Marvel reached out to Gay and Harvey was because Coates recommended them. He recommended them because he'd seen work he loved by them. Assistant Editor Alanna Smith and writer David Walker both asked on Twitter for recommendations of black female comic writers, and I'm guessing both wanted the recommendations so they would have some names they could take to editors and say, "Hey, I checked out this woman's work, she's really good, you should reach out to her to see about giving her a project." That's how comics work.

Given that Marvel had to go chasing a person that doesnt write comics shows that it doesnt look like there a lot for people knocking at the doors.
    It doesn't work like that. Nobody "applies" to work at Marvel. They don't really accept unsolicited pitches.
    The editors are the ones who contact creators. Sure, if you're Warren Ellis or someone famous, you could get in contact with an editor and pitch something to him, but it's not at simple as black women not seeking these jobs. It's not the way it works most of the time.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Thats alot of confidence in something you dont have hard nmbers on....
    U just mad cuz I'm stylin' on ya'
    Militant Anti-Villain
    I'm out here looking for revenge!!
    Spit Dat Kurt Vonnegut...
    The Ghost Militant...
    Black Panther on one shoulder Nighthawk on the other!!!
    Cognitive Dissonance Disseminator

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    When Marvel relaunched with Marvel NOW a few years ago there was a noticeable lack of Black woman in their books. Now there's the new Iron Man, Monica Rambeau is back, Misty Knight is back, Ayo, Aneka. Shuri will mos def get some panel time in this new book as well. Honestly, one would think that if there was to be a 2nd BP book, it would focus on an established character like Shuri, not tertiary characters like Ayo/Aneka. But TNC is world building and thats cool

I stopped reading TNC's Black Panther because the book didnt focus on Tchalla enough haven't read since issue #3. The art is pretty hit or miss as well. Hopefullythe artist on this book can do sequential action better than Stelfreeze ��

Not all that surprised that Gay will be the first Black woman to write for Marvel, def a step in the write direction.
    Should Shuri get a focus on this book, it probably will be in later issues of BP:WOW, especially considering that her current journey just started in the main book.

She probably will have some panel time, nonetheless, especially in the Midnight Angels story.